It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autistic Blogger Sued For Copying Photo From Website - WGHP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Autistic Blogger Sued For Copying Photo From Website - WGHP

www.myfox8.com

MAYODAN, N.C. (WGHP) —
A mildly autistic man from North Carolina is being sued for $150,000 because he used a newspaper photo he took off the Internet and posted it on his blog.

Brian Hill, who runs the opinion blog uswgo.com, said he was being sued by Las Vegas-based law firm Righthaven, LLC, after he used a picture of a TSA patdown that was copyrighted by The Denver Post.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wxii12.com
www.youtube.com
www.google.com
www.wtvr.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Copyright jackal Righthaven sues young blogger

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This story is making headlines all over the darn place. It is making CBS6, WXII12, and other places. It is showing up in many forums I goto so I thought I should put this here while it's still fresh enough to be put on this forum. This guy runs a political blog site where he exposes stuff and now he took his blog site down.

www.myfox8.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-2-2011 by BenAcel because: spelling corrections

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BenAcel

Is the fact that he is autistic relevant? He seems high fuctioning if he is keeping up a blog. Everyone has their "quirks". I just hate when people have to label everyone.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Righthaven acquires copyrights to online content from MediaNews Group Inc., parent company of The Denver Post, then files suits over alleged violations of copyright law. With dozens of other publications, MediaNews is the nation's second-largest newspaper publisher.

This particular litigation business model has been in use for several years. Neither the BAR, the Department of Justice, nor supposed civil liberty supporting organizations have fought it at all.

By the way... the 'take down' order is part of due process. They could never have successfully sued in an open court without having that component of the law adhered to first.

Oddly, the so-called "news" agencies that "sell" these opportunities to the law practices who use them ever seem to be identified as 'part' of the problem.... one has to wonder why.....

Also, notice how these never fall in the category of "frivolous" law suits.... but trying to sue a doctor for removing the wrong testicle is..... hmmph.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
If he credited the photo there is no suit. This was challeneged last year in another suit where a blogger/poster on a forum etc did the same thing. Turned out he credited the photo and the magazine was told to go blow.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
This particular litigation business model has been in use for several years. Neither the BAR, the Department of Justice, nor supposed civil liberty supporting organizations have fought it at all.

Well because they simply do not care. My friends tell me that the politicians don't even care anymore and do just whatever they want. Now if their (Politicians) websites are being targeted then you will see them turn the other cheek and fight this shady law firm.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I wonder if he is on disability for his autism?
That means he gets a check that NO ONE can touch..

So if that is the thing, I say put them in their place
with a bankruptcy!!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Is the fact that he is autistic relevant? He seems high fuctioning if he is keeping up a blog. Everyone has their "quirks". I just hate when people have to label everyone.

Well call me old school but I was taught NEVER prey on
Women, Children, and Handicaps, it is just bad ethics...
edit on 24-2-2011 by hillynilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Humint1
If he credited the photo there is no suit. This was challeneged last year in another suit where a blogger/poster on a forum etc did the same thing. Turned out he credited the photo and the magazine was told to go blow.

Actually no, whether he put the credits or not the lawsuits would continue. I watched the news video and the law firm is Righthaven and I looked them up and they sue people whether you have proper credits for the photo or not. I contacted the photographer of that photo and he said that he does not own the photo that people are being sued for and that he says talk to his companies lawyers as well.

This isn't about credits from what it looks. This is about a copyright troll.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Smells like one of those fishing suits. Fair use doesn't matter to them.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Its stupid what they are doing to him for posting a pic on his blog but come on, trying to exploit his "mild autism" in his defense is stupid.
Im sure his mild autism is whats also known as aspergers syndrome and the people that are affected by it are more or less normal, they just have a few social/personality quirks.
But hey, who doesnt?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animatrix
Its stupid what they are doing to him for posting a pic on his blog but come on, trying to exploit his "mild autism" in his defense is stupid.
Im sure his mild autism is whats also known as aspergers syndrome and the people that are affected by it are more or less normal, they just have a few social/personality quirks.
But hey, who doesnt?

It's not the autism that makes him disabled. I read from other places when doing research that he has brittle type 1 diabetes.

diabetes.about.com...

So they aren't exploiting his illnesses. He goes through this suffering everyday and then this lawsuit will add to his uncontrollable blood sugars. Imagine so much stress being given to someone with brittle diabetes?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It's like suing a elderly women with one of those bags that stores waste kind of health problem just because when she protests she has a Pickett sign with a copyrighted pic. When are we gonna reform copyright laws to include the Internet?

Fair Use and DMCA do not cover the Internet because it was signed into law before the digital network so that means that loopholes can be exploited to go after bloggers. We need to update and reform the statues.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Yea, i agree with you about the laws being unfair and what it comes down to is greedy ass lawyers and nothing more.
But you cant expect for him to get special treatment for having a disability. What about the hundreds of others
that have fallen victim to the same predatory attorneys that have no disabilities? It wouldnt be fair.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
These people at Righthaven are scum. What they do it first search the internet for pictures they want to target and then aquire the copyrights from MediaNews Group Inc. Then they go after people for posting their copyrighted material after the fact.

When this blogger posted the picture Righthaven did not own the copyrights. They are exploiting a loophole in the law just to make some easy money. It's a scam that should be outlawed.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BenAcel

Other laws apply to internet use which were crafted before it was even imagined. Why would copyright be any different? Also I'm fairly sure they were all updated in US lately and fair use is included.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Thats just the beginning.. It shows the clampdown on dissent against the state has began.. Doesnt matter who it is .. Dare to speak out and they will come for you.. Hope that he wins the case in court..

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BenAcel

Actually...yea!

Your not understanding what I mean other than the words I typed. In law there is the perception of copyright credit in cases such as these. Where people use someone else's or a company's work then do give credit, in the majority of cases that have actually made it to court they have been either tossed out / dismissed because of the very fact the author/maker's credit was properly affixed. In addition, if in cases there were no profit intended to be made nor any work(s) were used in advertising then they are usually sent to a mediator rather than the Judge. I hope this helps you understand a little better.
edit on 2/24/2011 by Humint1 because: Spelling error

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animatrix
Yea, i agree with you about the laws being unfair and what it comes down to is greedy ass lawyers and nothing more.
But you cant expect for him to get special treatment for having a disability. What about the hundreds of others
that have fallen victim to the same predatory attorneys that have no disabilities? It wouldnt be fair.

yes but people didn't care as much about the other cases plus most have settled out of the court which is in a way like bribing to get out of court judgment. Brian didn't plus hes the only one to talk to as many reporters as possible while others attorneys were too scared to get it out there so that's why his case is getting the most attention.

Even Alex Jones settled which is surprising after he vowed to fight in court for other bloggers and now it's come to suing autistic and disabled adults all because Alex Jones didn't stand up for the little bloggers like he said to the las vegas sun steve green.
edit on 24-2-2011 by BenAcel because: spelling correction

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Humint1
reply to post by BenAcel

Actually...yea!

Your not understanding what I mean other than the words I typed. In law there is the perception of copyright credit in cases such as these. Where people use someone else's or a company's work then do give credit, in the majority of cases that have actually made it to court they have been either tossed out / dismissed because of the very fact the author/maker's credit was properly affixed.
edit on 2/24/2011 by Humint1 because: Spell check

Well then do your research on copyright registration number VA0001751279 this is what hes being sued over. I got this from scribd. The photo is no longer owned by the Denver Post or even the photographer. You have to get permission from Steve Gibson who was at one time close friends with the Obamas. A definite conflict of political interest.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join