It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Demands Mideast Democracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This from a speech in '03. Hmmmm

Bush demands Mid-East democracy US President George W Bush Bush: Tough message for Middle East leaders President George W Bush has deplored the "freedom deficit" in the Middle East and said the United States must remain focused on the region "for decades". "Our commitment to democracy is being tested in the Middle East," he said in a televised Washington speech in defence of US democracy. Mr Bush said dictators in Iraq and Syria had "left a legacy of torture, oppression, misery and ruin". Turning to Iran, he warned that "the regime in Tehran must heed the democratic demands of the Iranian people, or lose its last claim to legitimacy".

But some governments in the region were "beginning to see the need for change", he said, citing Morocco, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman and Yemen.

Sixty years of Western nations excusing and accommodating the lack of freedom in the Middle East did nothing to make us safe He also stressed that "Islam is consistent with democratic rule" in his speech to the National Endowment for Democracy in Washington. He said that to say Islam and democracy were incompatible was "cultural condescension". The BBC's Rob Watson in Washington says the speech may come to be seen as a defining moment in the Bush presidency.

Rest of article here

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

He has more than his fair share of 'defining moments' in his presidency.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Now we have these words from Putin. I am starting to think that Putin is right in certain regards. To bad the US is destined to mettle in the affairs of the Middle East for decades to come.

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin cautioned the West Thursday that attempts to meddle in the rebellions of the Arab world may sweep extremists to power. Skip related content

"You have to give people the chance to choose their own fates and their own futures," Putin said at a press conference with European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso.

"Give them the opportunity to determine their own fate through natural means and not with any kind of outside interference," he said.

Putin warned that previous attempts to "impose democracy" had fostered Iran's Islamic revolution and triggered election victories for radicals that the West is now fighting to contain.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
But only when whoever is elected meets with his, or the US in general's, approval, otherwise we don't officially recognize or accept the democratic process.

Hypocrisy, just like the whole Middle East thing: do as i say, not as I do: while spouting "respect peaceful protesters" to the governments of the ME and Africa, at home they sick dogs on them, launch tear gas, beat, arrest, and otherwise oppress the efforts of the protesters, which are grounded in the First Amendment.

Hypocritical swine is what they are, and it angers me to no end that people's ignorance and limited perception prevent them from seeing these things, as well and standing behind and parroting such hypocrisy.

The US government is so hypocritical and disrespectful of its citizens that it deserves NO respect from them.

Of course, society is filled with contradictions, which i think is a reason why so many people crack and why there are so many problems: we are raised and taught contradictions, which conflict with our innate reason.

edit on 24-2-2011 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Imho, I believe the people of the world should be free to choose their government.

Who are we to force "democracy" (such as we have it here in the US?) on them?

Supporting freedom is really what I'd like to promote. Here and abroad!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Bush spent billions to keep Mubarak firmly in place. He deserves credit for nothing.

Look up a 2006 article "Mubarak and the CIA", you'll see how dirty the hands of Bush Sr. and Jr. are.

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is once again visiting President Bush. Before Mubarak came to Washington, he was visited by CIA Director Tenet who is reportedly coordinating CIA moves against the Islamic movement in Palestine, Jordan and Egypt.

American and Pakistani readers need to have a little background on Mubarak to understand his visit to Washington.

1. Mubarak receives $2.3 BILLION dollars every year from the U.S. to keep himself in power. The money is spent on his vast security apparatus (MUKHABARAT) in Egypt. Every African country has Egyptian intelligence agents looking for Islamic activists. The money is also used to refurbish his armed forces which are given inferior weaponry making it impossible for it to fight Israel. However, the weaponry is enough for Egypt to bully Sudan and Libya whenever the U.S. sees the need.

[The $2.3 billion annual grant makes Mubarak the biggest recipient of American aid second only to Israel.]

2. Mubarak has been used by Washington to crush the Islamic movement in Egypt. Nearly 60,000 Egyptian dissidents are being held in dungeons and underground prisons by the Mubarak regime. Some of the methods used by Mubarak, documented by Amnesty International and other human rights organizations, include:

(see link for rest)

The influence of the Bushes and the CIA is waning, that's why you're seeing these revolutions now. People in these countries have finally had enough.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Putin has the right idea. We are reading and hearing it everyday in the news. If there is an accuasation of America interviening in these protests, trust me, Russia will let it be known to it's public. And in turn, I will inform all of yous.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Liquesence

I agree with you whole heartedly!

Especially the part about being brought up with so many contradictory belief systems. It's crazy-making and very hard to get clear until those beliefs are laid to rest as conflicts, Don't you think?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I gess according to you we should have invaded Egypt back in the day?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92
Putin has the right idea. We are reading and hearing it everyday in the news. If there is an accuasation of America interviening in these protests, trust me, Russia will let it be known to it's public. And in turn, I will inform all of yous.

Putin is currently building a billion dollar mansion. He makes our crooked politicians look like beginners.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Putin is LOVED by the vast majority ( i could go outside right now and ask the first ten people what they think about Putin. Eight of them will be supporters). You have no idea until you actually come here and talk to the people. So, who cares if he is "corrupt" like other politicians. He is loved, and Russians are satisfied with him. He's been helping the economy and giving money back to the people.

My bottom line: he is obviously doing something right if so many people adore him.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yeah who cares if he's corrupt. LOL. Yeah you either love him or he kills you. Enjoy my friend.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
He demanded democracy while propping up Mubarak and holding hands with the Saudis. Hmmm...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

No, there was no need to. Mubarak is the US's friend. Why would Bush or any president invade to depose him? Bush did not democracy; when there was democracy, he denounced the people's choice, all the while buddying up with ME dictators.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

I gess according to you we should have invaded Egypt back in the day?

And why would you say that? Bush "demanding Mideast democracy" was all lip-service. He really was all about propping up the dictator, just as every president has been since Reagan.

He talked democracy, but funded totalitarianism.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28a323b58c97.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5abef9337057.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/44e77eef8efa.jpeg[/atsimg]

Bush "demands" democracy? Yeah except where the dictators are his friends. Or the US has a vested interest in their resources. Then all bets are off, democracy is out the window.

The Right crowed on and on about Obama bowing to the Saudi King, but Bush french-kissed him like a prom queen. Democracy so long as it serves the special interests, as long as there MONEY to be made.

What Bush preached wasn't democracy, it was hypocrisy.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

The entire Bush family can rot in hell. That's all. ;^)

join