It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Outages --Electronics Stay On???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is my very first experience with this one. Last night we had a power outage. Now, when my desktop is asleep, and loses power supply, I have to go through the whole start-up routine.

But not this time. Power was out for 30-40 min. I woke the computer up and it was as if nothing had happened. My desktoop was right there! My roomate and I were just talking about that-she brought it up- and she had the TV experience the same unusual response--turned right on!

Anybody--Help me explain this!!!
edit on 24/2/11 by masqua because: Replaced 'All Caps' in title

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sorry about the type in the title (covers face with hands).

2nd

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I don't understand. Are you saying that the computer and TV worked even though the power was out? Or that they just did not have to boot up?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by bertapearl

You probably have a batter backup, even if you didn't even realize this. I can unplug my computer and come back an hour later, plug it back in and it starts up as if nothing happened. Now if your tv is doing this you have ghost, and don't go into the light

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I didn't have to restart them after the power came back on.. Sorry I didn't make that clear. I just can't explain this!

What do you think?? We don't have battery backups.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Royal76

Thanks-- but I think I'd rather go into the light than stay in this ---hole!

I just want to skip the next few years, and go right for the shift.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Royal76

My mother in law has a TV like that. If you shut it off with the remote it stays of but if you unplug it and plug it back in it goes back to being on. We were at her house once during an outage and when the power came back it turned right on and full volume.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

OK, message received, Thanks for the insight!
2nd

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Some computers, depending on the type of power switch will come back on if they loose power. Mine always comes back up after a power outage.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I'm so glad to hear that. It is a new TV for us, and that is totally what happened.

Thanks for that. This site rocks because of people like you guys!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Wow,

I haven't had that experience before. Live and Learn.

Thanks for helping me calm down about this!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Don't fret about it, it is only a computer and they are far from perfect and should not be completely relied upon. Not the end of the world.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There must have been a short circuit somewhere and the voltage to your house was lowered, Only certain electronics and certain switches and lights may work when this happens! Trust me I know, Happened to me all the time when I was younger, LCD TV consumes less power and will work, So will your laptop. Next time try the microwave and you'll understand. By the way were the lights dimmer at the time? Energy savings bulbs should work.

The TV thing used to happen to me as well, Had this old school Panasonic TV and every time the power would come back on it would turn on with the volume full. You can imagine how scary that s*** is, especially at night
edit on 24-2-2011 by Serizawa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
As others have already stated, depending on user settings, they will automatically come back on after a power outage.

Other things to keep in mind.

There is three states of sleep a computer can be in.
Standby, Screen off, CPU, hard drives and fans at full power.
Sleep, where memory is at full power to keep the operating data fresh, but the CPU, hard drives, fans, and screen are powered down.
Hibernate, where the entire RAM data load is saved to a file on the hard disk and everything shuts down.

If it was in one of the two former states, then it would have to reboot from scratch if it lost power.
If it was in the last state, then it won’t.

Depending on settings, normally it will go into standby with 15 to 30 minutes of disuse. Then sleep with another half or one hour of disuse. If it sets long enough, and you have it set up to do so, it will go into hibernation after several hours of disuse.

Normally a TV will automatically do an autoscan a few minutes after power is restored. If you try to turn on the TV right after the power comes on, it hasn’t had a chance to scan for active channels and fill the channel list. So you will have to initiate the process yourself. But if you wait 10 to 20 minutes before turning it on, you should see that it has regained situational awareness and has a rudimentary list of working channels already on the list.

edit on 24-2-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Mr Tranny

reply to post by Serizawa

I think Mr Tranny's explanation is most likely though Serizawa's is possible, but much less likely.

Look at your power settings in your computer. It will tell you how long the defaults are before it switches to an alternate mode. What operating system do you have?
Here's how to do it for Vista:
www.pcreview.co.uk...
See the setting "put the computer to sleep"?

My guess is your computer was already asleep by the time you lost power. When you turned it back on, you just woke it up from the sleep or hibernation.

If you have another OS just do a search with that OS and "power saver settings"

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

OP what other electronics were on at the time? Apart from the laptop.

new topics

top topics

join