It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forgotten UFO Researcher Ivan T. Sanderson.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shino
The connection between UFOs and water isn't so exotic once you realise that cities, or large populations, tend to be closer to the shore (water) than in the midlands. A higher population means more witness sightings of UFOs than those living in lesser populated areas, and thus the connection to the water has a simple and obvious explanation. In my opinion of course

No, there's a definite UFO interest in water on Earth, but particularly in relation to our use of water for generating electrical power.

A great number of UFO sightings take place in the vicinity of hydroelectric dams. In fact, UFOs have been observed (at least anecdotally) siphoning off water from the reservoirs created by hydroelectric dams. One account, as I recall, mentions the UFO sucking up water and then, a few moments later, ejecting a spray of water back into the reservoir.

Perhaps they took on too much?

But, importantly, a GREAT number of UFO sightings take place in the vicinity of powerplants and high-voltage power lines leading away from hydroelectric dams. What's that all about, eh?

Is there something about our BLOCKING the natural flow of water for our electrical needs that is important to UFOs?
edit on 3-1-2012 by ZeskoWhirligan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by defuntion

I believe he is referring to Sandersons interpretation of the Patterson sasquatch film. Sanderson was a genius and an amazing man with many creative and interesting ideas regarding the paranormal and zoological.."Sanderson, Ivan Terrence. (1911-1973)
Sanderson received degrees with honors in geology, zoology and botany and headed six expeditions in all parts of the world for such groups as the British museum, Cambridge and London Universities, the Linnaean Societies of London and the Chicago Natural History Museum. He was the author of many books; one, "Animal Treasures" was a Book Of The Month selection in 1937. Others include, “The Hairy Primitives of Ancient Europe” 1967," "Caribbean Treasure," "Animals Nobody Knows," "Living treasure," "Animal Tales," "How to Know American Mammals, " "The Monkey Kingdom," and "Living Mammals of the World.” The Abominable Snowmen, Legend Come to Life” written in 1961 and countless articles for various publications and Argosy Magazine where he was ‘science editor.'
www.bigfootencounters.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Agreed, Sanderson was, first and foremost, a zoologist and a naturalist, well-founded in scientific principles. His curiosity strayed only marginally into the paranormal, compared to his more professional interests. For anyone to call Sanderson a hoaxter or a fraud simply demonstrates an ignorance of Sanderson's life and work.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I've no words Karl.....
Again...

Thanks for your researchs!

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The man was a classically educated naturalist & writer & WWII spy and was one the first Bigfoot & UFO investigators.

I live about 10 miles from where he set-up shop in the states in Warren County, NJ.

Excellent tribute article of the man with some good party pics:

richardgrigonis.com...

edit on 20-1-2012 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by BABYBULL24
The man was a classically educated naturalist & writer & WWII spy and was one the first Bigfoot & UFO investigators.

A well-rounded life. You know, I have more respect for someone who has done it all and explored many diverse fields than somebody who has specialized in one certain subject for decades.

Those who specialize (like insects) tend to CREATE and FEED OFF OF their own specialized universe, rather than exploring the greater Universe.

That's why I respect people such as Charles Fort and Ivan Sanderson above and beyond the very dogmatic mouthpieces of the Scientific Community.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeskoWhirligan
A great number of UFO sightings take place in the vicinity of hydroelectric dams. In fact, UFOs have been observed (at least anecdotally) siphoning off water from the reservoirs created by hydroelectric dams. One account, as I recall, mentions the UFO sucking up water and then, a few moments later, ejecting a spray of water back into the reservoir.

Thanks for the replies and I certainly agree with Zesko about the UFO/water cases; there´s a thread below with quite a number of similar reports including one incident where an unknown object was witnessed taking on water by five engineers -another where many separately located Australian townsfolk all reported seeing the same thing..

Unusual reports of UFOs 'taking on water'

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

BABYBULL24, thanks for providing that link, there's also another nice tribute to Ivan Sanderson's work found in the preface of Curt Sutherly's book 'UFO Mystery, A Reporter Seeks The Truth' which touches on his time at the SITU New Jersey farm headquarters and his colleague Pete Ryhiner -haven't read the entire book yet but there are some very strange UFO cases being described.

Book link

Cheers.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
New link for OP video:

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Pretty fascinating 1956 (not 1953) interview with Ivan T. Sanderson discussing the Flatwoods monster UFO case.

Thread:

The Flatwoods Monster UFO

edit on 22-11-2013 by karl 12 because: Fix video link

posted on Dec, 27 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
awesome thread. i've always considered the possibility that "aliens and ufos" are not extraterrestrial but from within the earth/waters. gives new meaning to "as above, so below"

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tonybotzo

awesome thread. i've always considered the possibility that "aliens and ufos" are not extraterrestrial but from within the earth/waters. gives new meaning to "as above, so below"

It's an idea I've entertained for a while as well mate and I don't know if you've read this book but it contains quite a few freaky reports of unknown objects emerging from, submerging into or hovering above the surface of the world's oceans.

As for Ivan, although it's stated in the OP that he thought UFOs seemed 'inextricably connected with water' it's stated by John Keel in the pdf file below that he privately came to suspect that UFOs were 'inexorably related to psychic phenomena' as well - John Keel also makes some interesting comments about government intimidation and mysterious black Cadillacs.

Ivan T. Sanderson - An Appreciation (PDF File)

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 21 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
And here's a link to an ongoing thread started in January 19, 2013, about Sanderson's files, working notebooks, and the data contained within them.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
glad to read this thread again as i search with google.. this is the top link that google found regarding ivan sanderson search.

this guys been around, ufo and cryptozoology, those are linked somehow , and the theory that some cryptozoology are really just manifestation form of certain entities already documented for centuries.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by milomilo

this guys been around, ufo and cryptozoology, those are linked somehow , and the theory that some cryptozoology are really just manifestation form of certain entities already documented for centuries.

Thanks for the post mate and maybe there is a ufological link to cryptozoology -who knows? As John Keel mentions above Ivan thought that, towards the end of his life, UFOs were 'inexorably related to psychic phenomena' but there's also the water connection and the trickster element as well so it all becomes very bizarre, multi-layered and confusing.

Don't know if you've seen this Mac Tonnies interview but it's a good one and covers various UFO hypotheses (some very relevant to Ivan T. Sanderson) as well as discussing specific UFO occupant cases and the work of various researchers like Jacques Vallee and John Keel.

Author, blogger and Fortean researcher Mac Tonnies argued that the ET hypothesis (that aliens are visiting our world from other star systems) is somewhat of an outmoded concept, and the truth may be stranger than we can imagine, involving a myriad of overlapping explanations. The notion of parallel worlds has gained credence in the scientific world, and the aliens could represent a kind of symbiosis with beings from another dimension, he noted.

As for Ivan's field work and UFO investigation, Professor Swords from SITU has recently published a great series on the 1966 Wanaque reservoir UFO incident and goes through some of his interview documents below:

But Ivan didn't waste the trip. He went to the reservoir police and asked them about the real sightings of 1966. And he got a good interview.

Chief Casazza was happy to talk.

There are three "documents" which contain the gist of what the chief told them, and it may or may not be possible for me to smooth them together for you --- I think, as I sit here with them in hand that they're pretty similar; let's hope so. One is a page from Sanderson's book Invisible Residents, one is a typed report which I don't believe that he sent to Hanlon, being somewhat miffed at him and Hynek for some reason, and the third is a set of handwritten notes which appear to be the actual notes taken while in Chief Casazza's office..

link

Full Series: Part 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Great content (and rare interview) from Isaac where Ivan discusses his biological theory of UFOs -haven't listened to it yet but put it up anyway.

11: BIOLOGICAL THEORY of UFOs

Date of Broadcast: 11.25.1956
Running Time: 01:01:54

Synopsis: Guest: Dr. Ivan T. Sanderson, biologist/zoologist and naturalist. He was also a spy and Intelligence operative for the U.S. and UK, although nobody knew at that time a few people know now. This aspect of his background was revealed during a meeting in Seattle, WA in 1959. This data, on the original recordings, is archived at Faded Discs. Sanderson discusses his Biological Theory of UFOs. His theory remains popular as one of the theories regarding the origin of UFOs, but pales to both the Extra-Terrestrial Hypothesis (ETH) and the possibilities that UFOs are inter-dimensional conveyances or time travelers. Sanderson also wrote a book about his theory.

Huge audio archive of UFO history - now online. Many rare recordings, collated by ufologist Wendy Connors

Related thread:

Ivan Sanderson's Missing Crypto Archives Found.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Ivan's interview with wanaque sherrif cassazza end with a chilling and mysterious note , when the sherrif said that he and other deputies encounter something strange that he didnt want to reveal to anyone even to Ivan. He also said that he was glad he didnt something , as he thought it saved his life (because he wasnt doing something that was expected)..

i spent many hours thinking what the sherrif meant by that ... did the sherrif and his deputies encounter a landed UFO and maybe saw some entities ? the thing he didnt do and thus saved his life (and his deputies's lives) , is it because he and his deputies drove away (aka Flee) from the UFO/entities ? I think prof Swords also have the same hunch (landed UFO)..

the wanaque episode sure is strange.. one of his deputy saw a dark cigar shaped thing above his house at night with small lights circling the thing.. the flock of helicopters and jet fighters appearing after one of the sighting (denied by the local / nearest air force / army)..

Sometimes i think there are certain branch in the US goverment that seriously investigate these phenomena outside the usual goverment bodies, so they might have separate air assets and agents (to make their operation deniable).. maybe the black helicopters are true (US gov secret group?)

posted on Feb, 10 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Extensive free excerpts on E-book format of Ivan's book 'Invisible Residents: The Reality of Underwater UFOs'.

Link

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ivan gets a mention in Popular Mechanics.

The Weird History of Unidentified Submerged Objects

.Elsewhere in the interview, Fravor reveals that a 79-year-old woman contacted him after his sighting went public. The woman explained that her father, a naval officer, was at one time based at the naval station in San Francisco in the 1950s. When she was a child, her father showed her a telegram that stated unidentified objects had been sighted going in and out of the water at a now forgotten set of latitude and longitude coordinates. The woman’s father told her, “We get these all the time, and it’s always in the same area.”

These sightings are similar to Fravor’s own sighting. According to the retired Navy pilot, the only reason he had seen the now-infamous “Tic Tac” UFO was because it was hovering above a mysterious larger object that was sighted underwater. Fravor describes the object as cross shaped and approximately the size of a Boeing 737 jetliner. He has further described the water above it as though it were “boiling” or “frothing,” and said the object disappeared after it caught his attention.

In 1970, biologist Ivan Sanderson published the book Invisible Residents. Sanderson, a noted student of unusual phenomena, devoted the book to sightings of what were later called Unidentified Submerged Objects, or USOs. USOs are defined as unknown craft that are sighted in the water, sighted rising up out of the water, or diving into the water. Sanderson catalogued scores of reports of USOs..

link

posted on Mar, 23 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12
All that remains of Ivan T Sanderson and John Keel's attempts at a 'strictly reportorial' UFO book (would loved to have read that one).

Ivan T. Sanderson and John A. Keel: The Book They Never Wrote

In 1967, John Keel and Ivan Sanderson made a serious attempt to write a book together. The subject was UFOs; the year was notable for the unusual number of sightings, and public interest was at its height. A book by these two remarkable writers and researchers was bound to be a success..

Unfortunately, this promising idea was never to be. All that remains is this title page, a brief pitch, and a proposed table of contents. The book was to be “strictly reportorial… completely without faiths, beliefs, and theories.” The table of contents was chronological, from “The Beginning: Prior to 20,000 B.C.” to “The Breakthrough: A.D. 1966.”

link

Relevant Keel letter uncovered.

Lynn Catoe’s letter must have provoked John, because he answered with a remarkable letter.

He writes about his abandoned UFO book with Ivan Sanderson, hoax letters from “The International Bankers,” experiences with his network of “silent contactees,” and interactions with his fellow researchers Gray Barker, Jim Moseley, and Gordon Evans.

He also goes into more detail ab0ut his research and objectives.

link

top topics

<< 1   >>

join