It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass, Velocity, Black Holes, The Speed of Light and the Big Bang...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Ok. When something moves closer to the speed of light doesn't that object heavier? Apparently? I dont see how that is possible, I just think it would gain energy....but apparently it becomes heavier. Now doesn't that mean that since it's becoming heavier, that that object is gaining more gravity?

Time starts slowing down as an object reaches the speed of light.... just like a black holes.... The more gravity something has the more time slows down around it....

Now, Black holes with so much mass, gravity etc, are meant to be tiny, but they have millions worth of suns in them, etc Intense mass, intense gravity...

Now Gravity has been measured to move as fastas the speed of light. Basically, it takes 8 mins for the light from the sun to reach the Earth. Same as teh suns gravity pull. If the sun suddenly didn't exist anymore, we wont notice anything for 8 mins....traveling around our disappeared sun for 8 whole mins until the last of it's gravital effects reached the earth, then we would move off in a straight line into space....

Now IF allt he mass in and gravity inthe universe was packed into a little ball the size of your hand....(related topic)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then wouldn't that basically be the biggest black hole....since current black wholes are just tiny portions of the universe.... If the big bang black hole exploded when all the mass and gravity in the universe was there....how come we dont see black holes which dont have nearly as much mass gravity as the big bang black hole, explode?

BTW the explosion from any black hole would have to be faster than the speed of light, since moving faster thant eh speed of light...means moving faster than the speed of gravity.....

But wouldn't something moving faster than the speed of light, gravity contain that much mass, gravity, that it forms it's own black hole?

Do you know what i'm saying?

[edit on 16-7-2004 by DaRAGE]

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
When something approaches the speed of light it gains mass because mass is a form of energy whose's equivalency is given by Einstien's famous formula E=mc^2. The object becomes heavier so that an infinite amount of force is needed to get it to the speed of light. It's impossible to have an infinte amount of force so it prevents this law from being violated. Gravity and time are not related at all, it's just a coincidence of the object being accelerated becoming more massive. At the big bang everything in the universe not just the matter was packed into a point so there would have been no space for it to warp and thus it wouldn't be a black hole.

[edit on 18-7-2004 by Mxyztos]

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Gravity is instantanious because it has to do with the curvature of space. If the sun suddenly didn't exist we would lose out elliptical orbit immediatly.

Umm no. The Speed of Light and the Speed of Gravity are the same. If the sun disappeared right this second it would take about 8 minutes for us to realize it. Light and Gravity from the sun would disappear at the same time. Newton was the one who thought that the Speed of Gravity was instant but Eistien proved him wrong.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
i'm waiting to see what stephen hawking says about black hoelsnext , he has changed his mind/had an epiphany.

also thanks for the plug to my thread lol

-Graham

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Ok.......So....If all the matter of the universe was packed into a balll sooo tightly...... where is that balll existing? It must be existing in some place/space/time..... doesn't it?

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   

If all the matter of the universe was packed into a balll sooo tightly...... where is that balll existing? It must be existing in some place/space/time..... doesn't it?

I don't think that the universe was packed into a ball at the beginning. I now believe as do many String Theorists that our Brane(our universe) collided with another brane(in a higher spacial dimension) and in affect out universe was born through that collision at a single point(The big Bang). But in order for that to be correct our universe would have to contain 11-dimensions. Not the 4-dimensions Eistien talked about, because in his later years as Quantum Mechanics was born Eistien delibrately ignored those forces when trying to come up with the UFT.

www.pbs.org...
Watch hour 3 Chapter 4(edit-- Chapter 6 as well) it talks about what you're asking

[edit on 18-7-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Ok.......So....If all the matter of the universe was packed into a balll sooo tightly...... where is that balll existing? It must be existing in some place/space/time..... doesn't it?

Good Question.
I have always wondered the same. Since it is (one of) the biggest unknown, the only thing scientists can do is create theories about it. I would also like to know the answer to this one, or at least about the various theories proposed.

new topics

top topics

join