It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Special Forces At Secret Location To Rescue UK Citizens In Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

UK Special Forces At Secret Location To Rescue UK Citizens In Libya

news.sky.com

British Special Forces troops have been put on standby to conduct deep penetration rescue missions to take British subjects out of isolated Libyan oil exploration camps following widespread criticism of the Government's response to the unfolding crisis.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Wow, is there something going on that we don't know about?

I can't ever remember UK Citizens being taken out of a Country by UK Special Forces conducted in secret before.

As cool as it sounds, it must be scary for all concerned. Maybe an over the top reaction or is it really that bad over there?

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

British Citizens are still stuck in Libya in what sound like pretty hectic and dangerous conditions, I imagine the sas will be their to secure a clear path for their escape. I imagine securing the pipelines is also high on the agenda.

SAS in Sierra Leone

edit on 24-2-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-2-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

UK Special Forces At Secret Location

They are on ships in the Mediterranean or already on the ground in Libya

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think the worry is that some pro gadaffi goons will roll up at the oil camps intent on sabotaging the infrastructure,like saddams scorched earth policy of igniting the wells in Iraq.
They could be sending in SpecOps to not only rescue those trapped thier,but also to protect the oil interests?

There have been reports on sky of folks getting told to leave oil camps at gunpoint,think they were the Germans.(the oil workers.)

It sort of makes sense to use specops to extract some of the far flung oil camps if there is some kind of threat they are not telling us about-maybe the pro gaddafi goons are threatening to kill our oil workers??

The other thought I had was that maybe they sent people to keep an eye on any sensitive installations in Libya-I know gadaffi gave got rid of his WMD,but I do not know if he has kept some back maybe...
Knowing him I would bet on it.
Don't want those non existent WMD factories falling into the wrong hands now do we?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Now just how stupid is our intelligence to put this out to the media before the rescue is executed. You present this after the fact not before, now they're possibly putting many life's at risk. This seems like a total lack of common sense and responsibility.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

I would imagine now they on the ground in Libya, Probably flown out of UK Bases in Cyprus, and HALO'd into the desert, where they will layup disguised as camels with a 20 a day ciggie habit!!

Although saying this. If this is in the news now. It probably actually happened 48 hours ago!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder
Now just how stupid is our intelligence to put this out to the media before the rescue is executed. You present this after the fact not before, now they're possibly putting many life's at risk. This seems like a total lack of common sense and responsibility.

I'm not so sure.. I guess if we consider the SAS has been training Libyan forces then perhaps knowing they are close by might act as a deterrent!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

I'm not so sure.. I guess if we consider the SAS has been training Libyan forces then perhaps knowing they are close by might act as a deterrent!

Could be,or the whole thing could be a bit of misdirection-say they are going to save the oil folks,then do something completley different maybe..
That would make sense.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
intresting news indeed, sounds like it could easily go wrong requiring even further UK deployment.

Besides which, isn't this technically an act of war?

if gadaffi somehow manages to hang on through this revolt I can't imagine him being too happy with the UK (not that I particularly care about his haapiness.)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Could be,or the whole thing could be a bit of misdirection-say they are going to save the oil folks,then do something completley different maybe..
That would make sense.

Or they do nothing...

which seems like the usual way they operate..

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Maybe it is another country giving their excuse for the military build-up.

I think Libya is going to get invaded - if only a little bit.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Maybe it is another country giving their excuse for the military build-up.

I think Libya is going to get invaded - if only a little bit.

NATO promises not to get involved in Libya

NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen says the Western military alliance will not intervene in the Libyan conflict.

Fogh Rasmussen said Thursday the alliance has received no such requests and that in any case any intervention must be based on a United Nations mandate. He made the comments in Kiev where he was on an official visit meeting with Ukrainian officials.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

The Reason UK and amercia are sending the SpecOps teams is because they have some high value people on the grounds in Libya.

When the article states UK Citizens meaning those Citizens with high government clearance or just agents and now they want the agents just back to UK as soon possible if these people are captured i bet they might find out whose really behind the so called uprisings.

If you gotta go so quick just because of the protest, then you might have something to hide.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

i would imagine they are all ready inside and up to no good taking care of things

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Call me a cynical old goat but I suspect this is more about political face saving. The government is getting clobbered for a shambolic response to the situation.

If you read the article all it says is that SAS are on standby in an undisclosed mediterranean location.

Its easy to say, it sounds tough and it probably means little.

I find it highly ironic that the ship sent to rescue people is a 26 year old Type 22 frigate destined for the scrap yard under the latest defence review. What a sad state we are in.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well isn't that the best kept secret, ssshhhhh don't tell anyone
,and don''t tell them Prince Harry is there or his location

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I seriously doubt they are there for the UK citizens.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I think it may have something to do with this. I hope they mean it when they say swift. www.nowlebanon.com...

This doesn't sound for Gaddafi

"UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has said he was "outraged" at the reports of air attacks. He spoke with Qaddafi on Monday and demanded an immediate halt to the violence."

edit on 24-2-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join