It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House to celebrate Motown with tribute concert.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
your tax dollars at work. I am glad someone has his priorities right,

The White House will celebrate Black History Month with a Feb. 24concert celebrating Detroit's best-known musical import. President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama will host "The Motown Sound: In Performance at the White House," a tribute to therecord companyBerry Gordy Jr. founded here at the dawn of the 1960s.

Source

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

Great. And which Motown Legend(s) are going to perform? Stevie? Diana? The Tops? The Temps? How many great Motown acts will be singing the music that made Motown famous and Berry rich? Im just dyin' to know which ones will be perfoming that will accurately represent the "motown-sound" legacy!
Its really great to hear the ones that made Detroit famous! I cant wait! Who? Smokey?
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: because

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: blah

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: cant wait

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Color me surprised..............
Nothing else really to say.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Oh no, my tax dollars are going to go towards negros singing!
I'm soooo angry! I specifically earmarked my tax forms with the demand that my money only go towards blasting Arab children into red goo. Damn it!

These tax dollars are going towards the preservation and celebration of a major part of America's culture. This is a better use for them than most things you could think of.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Next thing you know they'll be using OUR taxdollars to buy a watermelon or some fried chicken! Holy dog#!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

WELL maybe to help the people who have lost everything from the mismanagement of the government... maybe? maybe help people like THIS that is happening all over the great US of A.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Here here. I hope they get The Funk Brothers( that are left) for the (White) House band!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I would be interested in seeing the total expenditure of White House parties since he has taken office. I just want to know what USD amount is considered worthless to the president given that the nation is running such an incredible deficit.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Oh no, my tax dollars are going to go towards negros singing!
I'm soooo angry! I specifically earmarked my tax forms with the demand that my money only go towards blasting Arab children into red goo. Damn it!

Is there any offense a race baiter cannot hide? A bridge too far? What USD amount is acceptable in your mind to give to a president as an entertainment slush fund apart from his 200K+ salary?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well that is money well spent in these troubled times , don't forget they will be snorting the finest grade coc aine from Afganistan too , can't let a good bloodbath go to waste now can they .I mean that would just be disrespectful of all those who have been murdered wouldn't it ?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
I would be interested in seeing the total expenditure of White House parties since he has taken office. I just want to know what USD amount is considered worthless to the president given that the nation is running such an incredible deficit.

Ever consider that this may be the cause of the deficit.

costofwar.com...

Don't let your ideology get in the way of your common sense.
Let's put the blame where it really belongs; on the war profiteers in blood and treasure.

This is the reason to trash Obama, not some stupid party.
edit on 24-2-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Whatcha say Willis???
Motown in da house??? (this is sarcasim, nothing more...
)
Gimme a break.

Well, another Nero, fiddling while Rome burns...then all good Kings and Emperors MUST be entertained.
Guess the country's suffering has lost it's appeal and for now the music must suffice.

Thanks for posting this and letting us know where our money is going. Not like this counts towards the budget or anything right?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Guys ever think that he might actually be spending his own money to do this? You do know that the Obama's weren't poor when they got to the White House, and the President does make a nice salary. You all ever think that he might be spending his OWN money on these parties?

Oh no, just assume that he is spending tax dollars on this. You all know what they say about when you assume something right?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Regardless of who pays for it, its bad form. A couple of weeks in Hawaii, the kids off skiing a week or so ago, golfing when ever possible, big star studded affair for the superbowl, it is bad form when folks are hurting.

I get it - he wants to celebrate Black History Month and who does not love Motown? How about he have a concert at Walter Reed hospital to give the wounded soldiers some entertainment? How about having the concert in a theater and invite poor folks who could never dream of buying tickets to such an event?

How about making a point of having private money pay for it and making that public?

Enough of the royalty business.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Ok, let me think about this one.

A part of me is saying "well, there he goes again"
BUT this is MOTOWN,

and MOTOWN has contributed more to American culture, in a positive way even, than the gangsta rap crap that seems to dominate the music of today.

No Paul McCartney, no Elton, but American legends.

So Barack, I'll cut you some slack on this one, just don't turn my country into another Detroit.

edit on 24-2-2011 by Alxandro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

So to you he's not allowed any luxury? Are rich people supposed to act poor and not enjoy life? Doesn't that hurt the economy? I mean these entertainers are getting paid, which puts money into the economy, these guys can continue to employ people and buy equipment.

So basically if he does anything that even remotely helps the economy you are against it? Damn the country Obama must fail indeed.

Who are you to dictate what he does with his private funds? Bad form? Really? Why is it bad form to promote the music industry of America? Do you hate the private sector in America? Can't possibly contribute to that, oh no. What is he supposed to be chained to his desk in the Oval Office? Maybe you can go and whip him if he's not working to your stringent standards.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Question: How much is it costing us every day to blow up Afghans for the crime of living in Afghanistan?
Answer: Substantially more than it costs to throw a party to celebrate Motown.

Question: How much did it cost us to give AIG massive pay raises and vacations across the board?

Question: How much does it cost to have Hillary Clinton shamble around with her feet in her mouth?

Question: What's the expense of our yearly tribute to Saudi Arabia, Israel, and Pakistan?

Question: How much does it cost us to hire more men and buy more vehicles to try to make sure those dirty ol' Mexicans don't sneak in?

Question: How much does the DEA consume in a single day of operations?

Question: How much money is Kentucky giving to Ken Ham to help him build his crazy Genesis theme park?

Seriously, out of all the things that your government wastes money on - most of it in ways that negatively impacts or even kills hundreds and thousands of people, this is the one that gets you upset? So long as we're killing people, or throwing them in jail, or lying to them for JAY-ZUSS, the money is well-spent, but spent one red cent for a celebration of a core part of America's musical tradition, and your head practically bursts into flames.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

There is a thing called leadership and its something he should be displaying more frequently and certainly more effectively than he is currently doing. Leadership requires empathy and to continue to have lavish vacations, big parties with A guest lists and golf shows that he has none.

How is he helping the economy by having a bunch of folks over to the house? He's not. He's not doing anything to help anyone but himself.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

You're not making a strong argument here. How much austerity are you expecting of Obama? Should he personally consult you, or just foreclose the white house and wander around the streets in sack cloth and ashes? Should he walk a certain way so as to not give offense to you, massa suh?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I was being sarcastic. Everybody BUT any Motown artists performed most of the show. What a travesty. Check out the performance guests at the White House:

Jamie Fox, Nick Jonas, John Legend, Sheryl Crow, Seal, Ledisi, Jordan Sparks, Natasha Betingfield, Glorian Band, a couple from "Glee". What an all-star cast. At the END, Smokey, Stevie and Martha Reeves sang with all the performers.

The highlight of the entire night? Joe Jonas singing that great Four Tops hit of his... "I cant help myself". Good ole Levi Stubbs, rest his soul...was probably flipping somersaults in his grave.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join