It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Wives Tales EXPOSED!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
There are many of these tales that supposedly predict future events. Some of them are based loosely in fact. One in particular has potential to be proven. I live in rural eastern NC. Snow is kind of rare. Usually we get two or three storms a year, and the snow melts very quickly. It is said that "A thunderstorm in winter will bring snow within 10 days" Another similar tale is that a visible ring around the moon will bring snow in 10 days.

I won't say it's never happened, but I cannot remember it being like clockwork. We are scheduled to have very warm weather on Friday and have thunderstorms. This will be a test to see if we get snow within the next 11 days.

Please list any other tales you might know if and if they have come true.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
If you go to sleep with an itchy bum, you will wake up with smelly fingers eheheeheh

second line

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

First let me say I have an "Old Wife" and trust me you don't want to see her Tail!!!

Yeah I was kidding
but not these little things are wrong...... take this one

"Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning. Red sky at night, sailors delight."

In mid-latitude region, storms and rains usually move from west to east. A reddish sky around sunrise means a lot of water vapour already present in the atmosphere. As clouds come in from the west, rainy weather is thus expected. This explains why "Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning".

A reddish sky near dusk means that weather has improved in the upstream area to the west. Sunlight scattered by the atmosphere is reflected by clouds, making the sky red. As the clouds overhead have moved eastward, the weather is expected to improve. That explains why "Red sky at night, sailors delight".

Yeah yeah weather is one of those unpredictable things but this is a good rule of thumb when NOAA radio is down...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Another watched thread, Old wise tales are the first observed reality the truest of know truths, all your answers are there.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I have heard that one, and from my memory (as short as it is) I think it's true. Especially since you provided the science behind it.

Don't let the wife read this or you may be spending much more time with the chickens than you planed on.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by dukeofjive
If you go to sleep with an itchy bum, you will wake up with smelly fingers eheheeheh

second line

thats a Chinese proverb, and I think a fortune cookie line.
may I be the first to say ewwwww.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by CIGGSofWAR

Another watched thread, Old wise tales are the first observed reality the truest of know truths, all your answers are there.

here is another question, is it "Old wives tales" or "Old wise tales" ?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Ive heard quite a few over the years that pop into my head...

"Itchy Palms"

If the palm of your right hand is itchy, money is coming your way but if you scratch the right hand while it is itchy, it’ll keep the money from coming.
If the left hand is itchy, this foretells that you will be paying money to someone, and you should scratch away to do away with the payments.

Ive experienced the exact opposite of this one, regardless of what the heck is going on with my hands im always losing money, maybe I should cut them off for a bit of luck

"An apple a day keeps the doctor away"

Im allergic to apples and other fruits, ive never needed a doctor yet so im finding its not true although I can see the benefits of eating fruit but for me its a closed windpipe.

"TV makes you blind"

I reckon that should be changed to dumb.

Personally though, the one I find most true is "What goes around, comes around"

edit on 24-2-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Little snow flakes = big amounts of snow, and big snow flakes = small amount of snow. Seems to be true for the most part.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Old wives tales are for the women folk old wise tales are for the men folk
or they fall under wisdom quotes
“Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it.”
“A man only becomes wise when he begins to calculate the approximate depth of his ignorance.”
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.”
“A wise man makes his own decisions, an ignorant man follows public opinion”
It is easier to find a score of men wise enough to discover the truth than to find one intrepid enough, in the face of opposition, to stand up for it.
Wisdom comes by disillusionment
The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook
We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.
Every wise man lives in an observatory
The most violent element in society is ignorance

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
wearing a hat or having a pony tail make you go bald.

not true, quite obviously. although, i do have a pony tail and currently going bald.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
well, we had a good thunderstorm yesterday. We will see what happens in Beautiful Dunn, North Cackalacky in the next 10 days.

No snow, and we can call this myth "BUSTED"!

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I have been tickling the crap out of my right palm but no money yet.

I will keep at it.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
'leaving a house through any door other than the one that is used to enter the house is bad luck.' despite what the zeppelin says, do not, i repeat do not go in through the out door.

The Friday before Easter is Good Friday. If someone dies on Good Friday, they will go directly to Heaven.
I have never heard that one, but I like it because my sister died on Good Friday.

There are a few Russian ones I know
-no whistling in the house, you will whistle all your money away
-a dropped fork means an angry woman is coming to visit, a knife a man and a spoon a child.
-a boiled onion pressed against your ear will rid you of an ear ache.
-Vodka cures every ailment known to man

Being a wife that is getting old (creeping up to the big 3 0
) I have to say that old wives are very wise.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Some old wives tales are based on what centuries ago would be called conventional wisdom.

Although, some others were intended to scare people away from doing certain things. For example "if you keep making that silly face you'll get stuck that way."

Telling a child things like that makes it pretty easy to get them to listen, at least for a certain amount of time.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
wearing a hat or having a pony tail make you go bald.

not true, quite obviously. although, i do have a pony tail and currently going bald.

Actually, this is based on some truth. IF the ponytail is pulled too tight (or anything else that applies tension to the hair line or roots, for that matter) it can damage the root/shaft and the hair will fall out and it can lead to permanent loss.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Sorry, "Scratch it with your nails and it'll fail. Scratch it on wood to make it good". Hey, I don't make this stuff up.

Here's one that works - a bar of soap in the bed will prevent leg cramps. Don't ask me why. Some things are true even if beyond our understanding.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
One my grandma used to swear by is; "if you kill a spider it will make it rain."

I guess its because the spider eats a lot of other nasty insects and its supposed to make you think twice before squishing one. Those things are so damn creepy, I usually end up squishing 'em anyway. Then I know to carry an umbrella the next day.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

be sure to let the onion cool off first. Then follow with a shot of vodka for good measure.

You are still a spring chicken at 30. Wait till you get 10 more years on you.

a bar of soap in the bed? never heard of that one. But since cramps seem to happen all of the sudden, and walking usually fixes it, I would think a quick trip to the bathroom to get a fresh bar of soap to put under the sheets would cure a cramp.

edit on 1-3-2011 by network dude because: instead of another post

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

if we run into drought problems like we did last year, I think I will kill me a few spiders. I usually don't bother them as long as they aren't on me. If they get on my, I come unglued. under a house isn't the best place for that to happen either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join