It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$5.40 a gallon for unleaded gas!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
oh and do not try and go cheap. it could lead to food riots!

Clinton: Too much ethanol could lead to food riots

WASHINGTON – Former President Bill Clinton is warning farmers not to use so much corn for ethanol fuel that it raises food prices and causes riots in other countries. Clinton told farmers and Agriculture Department employees that he believes producing biofuels such as corn-based ethanol is important for reducing U.S. dependence on foreign oil. But he says farmers also should look beyond domestic production and consider the needs of developing countries.

Link

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It's not a question of going cheap, it's a question of what product is to be used to make this ethanol. Sugar cane is a better product for ethanol, faster growing and needing less nutriment with a better output of ethanol per acres.

Same can be said for all alcohol based comestible and non comestible product being recycled to make ethanol.

The problem with the ethanol market is that too many lobbyist are involved in political decisions.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by birdyat101

Originally posted by of the Ether
reply to post by birdyat101

Do you have a long commute? Many Americans live as much as an hour away from their work places. My family lives paycheck to paycheck as many Americans currently are. My spouse commutes 500 miles a week. This does not include grocery trips.$5 a gallon gas will ruin us. We drive a fairly economical car and it cost $66 to fill up two nights ago. Gas has since gone up.

We do not have the best public transportation in certain areas of this country. Biking to work is out of the question for many. People had a fit over gas when it reached $3 /gal but it did not bankrupt us. This could!

Of course I think Brits live payday to payday, just like everyone else. Moving closer to work is out of the question, we are hoping we can move work closer to home. He has put in a transfer. My point was public transportation in most of America sucks.

Life is very unfair with corrupt powers in place. That is very true!!

you all need to move closer to work or quit and you dont think us brits live payday to payday? are vats just gone up to 20% on every thing but you want to know a secret?? us brits make a joke about and move on because thats life lifes unfair wake up smell the tea and man up and get back in touch with your british side!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Fox Molder

jesus, try living here in the uk...our prices are about 3 times higher than yours..and about to go up another 10p per litre

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Why not make liquified methane gas from garbage, human and animal waste?
Kill two birds with one stone as it were.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
With the problems going on with some of the oil producing countries in the middle east, along with Egypt, it is not surprising that the cost of gas is going up. It is ultimately a matter of supply and demand. The demand remains the same, however, the supply is right now very touchy. Consider this: Libya, Kaddafi has threatened to destroy the oil wells, as a method of last resort, if he is pushed out of office, by the protestors. Although the US does not get oil from that particular country, the oil that it does produce and sell, has a direct impact on the supply overall in the entire world. If the supply is interrupted, then there would be a shortage, as the countries that do get their oil from Libya, would be focusing on getting oil and buying it from the different countries, that would also include the countries that sell oil to the US. In an effort to prevent a problem at the pumps, gas companies would raise the price to slow the number of people purchasing gas, to keep the supply steady.
Now Egypt may not produce oil, however, they do control the Suez canal, and if a hard line government comes into power, they could put the squeeze on oil tankers passing through the canal, and that would cause some problems in the oil market, forcing tankers to take the long way around Africa. Even Iran and other members of OPEC are right now having mass protests and problems internally, thus it is making many of the oil traders nervous.
Right now, many of the oil fields in Libya have been shut down, the companies having evacuated the personnel from there for their safety. Until the country returns to no longer being in violence, would the production start up again. It takes time for pumps to pump out oil, and to get a well to produce. The question should be, with all of the oil reserves and untapped resources in the US, why is the federal government not allowing for more to be used, to reduce our dependence on foreign supplies?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The headline is premature.....it should read $5.40 for gas when we get to $200/bbl.
Not if but when.....? BTW, the price of oil from the 1970s oil shortage spike adjusted for inflation is about $120/bbl.
We overshot it by $36 in 2008 (it was $111 then). Massive short squeeze then now everyone wants to be long for $200 crude oil. Did the bulls manipulating the price shoot themselves in the foot (as we had a big correction today)?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I am just finishing up a new small car for two that runs on natural gas. The driver puts a tube in the bum and off you go. It's faster if you have a second person in the car.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Yeah, and they don't even have the old supply-and-demand excuse to fall back on this time because there is no supply problem and demand is low. Thanks Wall Street faux panic about the faux uprisings in the ME for this one. Just when they told us the economy was back on track to. What a coincidence, because if that even if that were true, this would put the kabosh on it very fast. Airlines have already raised their prices in response...average of $60 a ticket. And you can bet they won't go back down again. They're so on the ball, those airlines.
Prices that get raised for this reason in any area rarely come down again. And as always, it's all up to you, the consumer, to bear the total brunt from every direction.
edit on 2/24/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

Then the anti everything people gang will show up with their kneepads and run corporate blocking, like they always do... You would think that people would care more about their own money, I want out, they like garlic ice cream and I dig chocolate...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
Oh yeah...It would help if I told everyone that this is in Canada!! The Nation's Capital....$1.20 a litter and rising right now.....So for my American friends out there....The wave will reach you soon....get ready !

Canada has always had far higher fuel prices than the US. When I drove across Canada in about 2000, it was nearly double the price in the US. It is closer to the same these days.

Here in Alaska it was $3.59 a gallon just a few minutes ago. Up from about $3.45 about a week ago.

Anyone from the UK or Europe around? What is it there now?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
hehehe... that is soooooo cheap, you don't know how lucky you are!

I was in London last week and it was £1.30 a litre.

With an exchange rate of £1 = $1.62, and 1 gallon [UK] = 4.546 litres that gives the Brits an equivalent of $9.57 a gallon!!!!
[and let's not forget most of that goes as tax to the revenue].

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Hiya,

Canada's car gas at the pumps includes taxes of 30%-40% on the base price. There is always some opportunity for sellors to raise prices and make some extra margin, but the retailers make relatively little.

The speculators bid up prices while sellors tend to become less wiling to sell, when the supply in the near future looks like it could be interrupted.

Oil is a political commodity, more than any other. If OPEC announces they will stabilize the market (by increasing production to meet any potential deficiency) for April (the futures contract being quoted as the spot price), then its likely that oil will drop back to the $87-90 range quickly.

But the politics in the OPEC countries are volatile, so intervention by Saudi Arabia is more complex than in the past, all other things being equal.

Finally, the USD (exchange rate) is deteriorating and all commodities are likely to experience increased prices as quoted in USD as the US debt/GDP continues to climb and especially when the PRC telegraphs that a re-valuation of the Yuan is imminent. IMHO, it is likely that energy prices are likely to experience greater USD pricing inflation compared to most other currencies (cross-rate priced).

As a consumer, we can always try to take out the car to do multiple errands, drive less, and use a bike or walk or take public transit

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by discostu123

Your cars are 1/3 the size of USA cars too! UK is pay more get less.... A lesson I learned in 2003, 2005, and 2009 while over there. I knew we were headed for trouble in 2003.... We are going to have to change, and do with less, and consolodate trips, sitting at the drive though line at a fast food place is going to be a huge no no.
Driving less is really good for the Earth.
edit on 24-2-2011 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Hay remember what Jesus said "Who's faces are on those oils? There's so they can have all of them oils".

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by surfin4it

Saudi Arabia just announced they will stablize the oil supply... (Feb 24, 2300ish GMT)
www.ft.com...

This move is entirely consistent with their leadership role within OPEC, but perhaps even more interesting given the implications associated with the political revolutions underway in many Islamist nations, who are allies of OPEC states and the Kingdom od Saudi Arabia itself.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
$3.35 In central Maryland. This is crazy. I WANT TO LIVE OFF OF THIS INSANE GRID! "Who's coming with me man!!!" (In my Half-Baked Voice)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder

Originally posted by birdyat101

i just had to google a Honda Oddessy lol what engine size is it?

Here she is...Exact same
www.edmunds.com...

Got a 3.5 litter V6

3.5 litter that's your problem you need a smaller engine lol sorry it took a while to reply I was working

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by discostu123

jesus, try living here in the uk...our prices are about 3 times higher than yours..and about to go up another 10p per litre

Actually it's more like 5 pence a litre which makes the governments promise to not put on the 1 pence increase in the next budget look rather lame. Out of every pound you spend at the pump the government exchequer takes about 88 pence which is a national scandal... And remember every business that has to use fuel simply passes these increases on to the general public so the cost of everything goes through the roof.
If this corrupt government Isn't stopped soon it will destroy this once great nation...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
$3.59 here in Orygun, but it has gone up .30 in the last week. Man, what's this summer gonna look like?

spec

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
$3.49/gallon for premium for me last night. i'm on the coast of Maine. Usually i dont bother even looking at the price for two reasons: 1.) I cant change it and it will just stress me out and piss me off, 2.) I drive a hummer so its expensive either way. So i try to play the mental game of not looking at the price and just paying the bill. Hoping that i will not notice the debit from my checking account. This game i play with myself only works about half the time tho.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join