It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christchurch Volcanic Eruption Looms

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Let me begin by saying that the area near Christchurch has quite a history of volcanics. Just south of Christchurch lies the Banks peninsula which essentially consists of two overlapping volcanoes, Lyttleton and Akaroa.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/675d7df1b6f3.jpg[/atsimg]
Credit:Neil Love

One of the things no one seems to be talking about is the staggering amount of earthquakes taking place in the area, there is a huge swarm occuring since september, over 5000 quakes. Here is an earthquake map showing all of the quakes occuring since september.

[url=http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/]HERE

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Nice thread and work put in.
But i think that all the quakes since September are aftershocks from the 8th Sep 7.1 quake.

2010 Canterbury Quake

Aftershocks Aftershocks have generally been occurring at the expected rate following a main shock of this size.[23] GNS Science has not ruled out an aftershock as large as magnitude 6 but suspect that the largest aftershock (a 5.6 magnitude quake 20 minutes after the main one) has already happened.[24][25][26]

As of 20 January 2011 (2011 -01-20)
Important Topic Updates
, over 4400 aftershocks of magnitude 2 or more have been recorded, including three of 5.4 magnitude,[27] and some have caused further damage to buildings in the central business district, and been felt as far away as Dunedin.[28][29][30][31]

On 8 September 2010, there was a large 5.1 magnitude aftershock with an epicentre just 7 km from the city centre.[32]

On 19 October 2010 a magnitude 5.0 aftershock with a depth of just 9 km which caused surface shaking reported at the time to be the worst since the original earthquake.

On 26 December 2010, a swarm of more than 32 shallow aftershocks,[27] many centred directly under the city,[33] occurred throughout the day beginning with a 4.2 jolt at 2:07am. The largest of these, with a magnitude of 4.9, at a depth of 12 km below Opawa[34] was felt very strongly and caused further damage to at least 20 buildings, the closure of the central city,[35] and cut power to more than 40,000 for some time.[36]

On 20 January 2011 a magnitude 5.1 aftershock with a depth of 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) struck at 6:03am, waking many residents. The shock caused some minor damage and was felt as far away as the West Coast and Oamaru

extra DIV

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Good job well researched and organized! Flagged and starred.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I think that in order to state that volcanic doom looms for Christchurch as you say, it might be prudent to establish first that the recent quakes are due to volcanic activity, as opposed to tectonic/fault activity. And therein lies the problem with this idea. I'm not saying it's not possible, but just unlikely.

One reason is the recent 7.1. In order to produce such a large earthquake, the size of that one alone would suggest tectonic activity rather than volcanic activity, as it takes a fault of considerable length to even produce such a quake. And the Greendale Fault, just to the west of Christchurch would be such a culprit.

Also supporting tectonic rather than volcanic activity is the issue that such large earthquakes are usually associated with tectonic activity. While there may be exceptions, there are few volcanoes on the planet with enough magma to generate such large earthquakes- and I don't believe any of the ones in New Zealand qualify- at least to known history.

So I am sorry to say I must disagree with the thread premise in itself.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Interesting thread.

I stumbled across this article and wondered if such changes in the local faults could add to a volcanic threat for the area.
Article here

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
I think that in order to state that volcanic doom looms for Christchurch as you say, it might be prudent to establish first that the recent quakes are due to volcanic activity, as opposed to tectonic/fault activity. And therein lies the problem with this idea. I'm not saying it's not possible, but just unlikely.

One reason is the recent 7.1. In order to produce such a large earthquake, the size of that one alone would suggest tectonic activity rather than volcanic activity, as it takes a fault of considerable length to even produce such a quake. And the Greendale Fault, just to the west of Christchurch would be such a culprit.

Also supporting tectonic rather than volcanic activity is the issue that such large earthquakes are usually associated with tectonic activity. While there may be exceptions, there are few volcanoes on the planet with enough magma to generate such large earthquakes- and I don't believe any of the ones in New Zealand qualify- at least to known history.

So I am sorry to say I must disagree with the thread premise in itself.

Subduction zones are one of the largest threats both volcanic and tectonic. Subduction zones are a vast threat because they generate large amounts of volcanism and also generate massive earthquakes.

Subduction zones are the cause of the most violent earthquakes ever recorded, and some of the deadliest volcanic eruptions at the same time.

I also clearly demonstrated above that Volcanoes in subduction zones are never extinct, and several volcanoes lie near christchurch and other cities on the east coast.
edit on 24-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Well actually, Lake Taupo in NZ would qualify, forgot about that...
But it's on the North Island, no where near Christchurch, so it would be a pretty big stretch to think it had anything to do with the Supervolcano Taupo- just in case anyone was about to go there.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
www.earth-issues.com...

Hasn't the Tasman sea bed risesn by 2 miles in the last few days?

Isn't this what usually happens just before a volcano errupts?

Something has been going on with regard to that particular earth plate as there is speculation that Indonesia is sinking and maybe a huge volcano is raising that is New Zealand itself. Maybe evacuation should be considered and very soon.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f651bc55ea6d.jpg[/atsimg]

This is just a snapshot of the quakes that have occured over the last few months in the area, each individual dot is a seperate quake.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I live in Christchurch. And i dont think the scare mungering is really that help full. There is no sign of a eruption on banks pennisula.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
A very interesting post. S&F. I was wondering about the number and extended amount of time over which the aftershocks have occurred, it seems there were far too many for far too long.

The quakes epicentres, however appear to be mostly inland of the calderas and the apparent rise of the Tasman sea floor (if it isn't just caused by faulty monitoring equipment) seem to be further away from the 'swarm' on the other side of the country.

If there was such a significant rise in the Tasman sea floor, why isn't it evident in a rise of New Zealand which is on the edge of the "rising" plate?
edit on 24/2/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Interesting thread! I am going to see what I can find about it. I had no idea NZ was in a subduction zone. I wonder how many other places are "on the edge " like that? S&F for a well put together and informative post

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by aarys
I live in Christchurch. And i dont think the scare mungering is really that help full. There is no sign of a eruption on banks pennisula.

Does anything about the tone of his post really strike you as scare mongering? I think he was pretty even-handed in the way he's presented a legitimate fear.

I suppose if the tsunami early warning system were to be activated, that would be a case of scare mongering too. Beware of falling rocks? More scare mongering! I'm so sick of safety labels man, always trying to put fear in us.

Seriously, just stop and think a moment... all of you. There is such a vast gulf between the kind of actual scare mongering posts on here (eg "The world will end in 4 days, Jesus spoke to me in a dream!!11one') and well-researched FYI posts such as this. The fact that it's unpleasant to think about, and that it does scare you, does not automatically mean that scare mongering has occurred.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Arrowsmith

Well said!!! I have noticed lately that alot of OP's are being accused for being to provocative, of being insensitive, of having bad timing etc. etc.

Where did all these pussyfooted people come from? Are they the same people that scream afterwards, WHY DIDNT ANYBODY TELL ME!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This thread is garbage.

talk about scaremongering

there are no active volcanic regions in the south Island of New Zealand. We know they are in the North Island.

Active Earthquake Fault lines, yes, but not volcanic.

you can point out all this Volcanic Geography all you want, but hey I could do the same for a number of countries, but guess what, its inactive and has been for hundreds of thousands of years.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Mount Cook is NOT a volcano.....HELLO!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
One thing I hear so often is that it could never happen.Some times I think we forget just what a short time we have been on this rock. And no I'm not anti science,but face it, we are not as smart as we think and there's plenty of this planet we do not understand are have seen yet.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Tephra

Mount Cook is NOT a volcano.....HELLO!!!

There is a volcanic zone in the area of Mt. Cook National Park.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

sorry, you fail to mention in any of your posts whether you are meaning "active" or "inactive.

visit this link for all active Volcanic areas in New Zealand today -

www.geonet.org.nz...

Nowhere in the south Island im afraid, including anywhere near Christchurch or Mount cook which is 3.5hrs south of Christchurch.

edit on 24-2-2011 by grantbeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Originally posted by Tephra Subduction zone volcanoes are especially dangerous because while they appear extinct at times, they are actually just dormant.

Reading is good!

There is no such thing as an inactive volcano, this is where I stand on the debate in volcanology, the classification of an inactive volcano being such a ridiculously short time span, only a human could think in such a frame.

Look, the reality is, we discover whole volcanic ranges pretty often. There is truly much yet to be learned. There are fault lines we have no clue about. Our magnetic field strength diminishing is causing increased volcanic and tectonic activity.

You can call me whatever you want. But don't pretend that I'm some kind of ATS doomsday caller. This is my only thread, and not once did I tell people to run for their lives, EVACUATE NOW!!! The thread is a very valid potentiality from a scientific perspective. It's always easy to deny the possibility of it. Perhaps you should look on a map. It's called the pacific ring of fire, I'll give you a hint, you're in it.
edit on 25-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join