It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shuttle Discovery's Final Voyage - watch history unfolding 1650 local time (2150 GMT) - LINKS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
G'Day ATS, it's not often that we get to witness a little history unfolding. Take the chance to see the final launch of NASA's Shuttle Discovery:

Shuttle Discovery poised for final flight

The US shuttle Discovery is all set to make history by launching from Cape Canaveral for the very last time.

The oldest of Nasa's three surviving orbiters has been given the "go" to take six astronauts and a big box of supplies to the space station.

US politicians have called time on the shuttle fleet, with the expectation that just two further flights will be made before the ships head to museums.

Lift-off from the Kennedy Space Center's Launch Pad 39A complex is timed for 1650 local time (2150 GMT).

- BBC NEWS

You can watch it on NASA TV HERE, I strongly advise tuning in my friends!

All the best, Kiwi

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Was just going to post this. S&F

Only 7 hours 45 minutes to go.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Thanks! I'll be watching the live feed and then head outside about 1 minute later. I'm on FLA West coast and the plume / trail is generally visible if you know where to look. Especially late afternoon as this one. Shuttle era ending is bittersweet.

Thanks you for posting.

ETA: RELATED (Shameless plug)
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 24-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I will miss my favorite named Shuttle after it's final voyage.
Always thought the name was perfect for it.
I remember in 4th grade, the weekly reader in school held a contest to name a space shuttle--was this the shuttle that was picked to name?

In any event. I am here in Florida for a time, and will be watching her blast off! It's be both a great moment, and sad, knowing it's the last flight of Discovery.

I hope for a safe journey and return. I want that amazing craft to become an attraction.

(Personally, I don't understand why they can't simply retrofit these remaining shuttles and get them updated with all new features... ) Since Obama killed the Orion mission (which I agree, was a step backwards in the way we need to go... I mean, its basically going back to Apollo type vehicles.)
edit on 2/24/2011 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I am waiting!!

I have both cameras ready

T minus 9mins

Only issue is some command system display not working properly right now. It should be fine they say.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
and off she goes!!!!!

wheee

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I get goose bumps every time.

Just seems like bad policy to walk away from this platform but what do I know.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet ride! 12,000 mph. I wanna go that fast!

I'm geting misty though,

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Can you beleive it guys, I got the call to come into work about 30 mins after I posted this thread!!!

I missed the launch, absolutely gutted!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'm happy the shuttle finally got Robonaut into space, and without blowing up in the process. Now the age of humanoid space robots can begin.

top topics

join