It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gene Sharp, The 83 Year Old Who Toppled Egypt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Gene Sharp, The 83 Year Old Who Toppled Egypt

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK – Gene Sharp, The 83 Year Old Who Toppled EgyptThe young lions of Tahrir Square found inspiration in the writings of an 83-year-old American. Samuel P. Jacobs talks to Gene Sharp about why his calls for nonviolent revolt are catching fire.

There are many roots of the Egyptian revolution. But one of the most unlikely goes back to an East Boston rowhouse, where an 83-year-old named Gene Sharp runs a shoestring operation called the Albert Einstein Institute—and arguably just changed the course of history.

For the last half century, Sharp has been writing about nonviolent protes
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.aeinstein.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Revolution is Spreading...
Protests spread to NORTH KOREA!!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I got an email on this and thought this is a really interesting report wherein a journalist who was with the Egyptian demonstrators in Tahrir Square saw people reading a little book by an American author named Gene Sharp.

And, this is the book they were reading "From Dictatorship to Democracy" It's online, free, in PDF form, in many languages:

www.aeinstein.org...

Perhaps this guy will be seen as the father of a world revolution eventually? I haven't read the book yet but I have downloaded it. Maybe we all need to download it since it seems to be a guide to non-violent revolution.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24-2-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
No thanks but i am not fooled by these so called revolutions or there so called sweet stories afterwords.

There are many roots of the Egyptian revolution. But one of the most unlikely goes back to an East Boston rowhouse, where an 83-year-old named Gene Sharp runs a shoestring operation called the Albert Einstein Institute—and arguably just changed the course of history.

There are many roots of the Egyptian revolution.

Yup CIA Funded American government backed operation, for a greater middle east project which they had planned out for quite some time.

edit on 24-2-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Well to each his own but this is no little thing this is spreading world wide. Here is a list of countries:

To date Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia, and Yemen have all seen major protests, and minor incidents have occurred in China, Iraq, Kuwait, Mauritania, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan and Syria, North Korea.

I don't know if they are all reading this particular book however the Egyptians were.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Actually this Sharp guy is right about a lot of key components.
At least from what I gather after hasty research over the last few minutes haha.

Gene Sharp Wiki

Gene Sharp described the sources of his ideas as in-depth studies of Mohandas K. Gandhi, Henry David Thoreau

Those are excellent sources.
Gandhi actually credits Henry David Thoreau for his ideals of non-violent protest.

Sharp's key theme is that power is not monolithic; that is, it does not derive from some intrinsic quality of those who are in power. For Sharp, political power, the power of any state - regardless of its particular structural organization - ultimately derives from the subjects of the state. His fundamental belief is that any power structure relies upon the subjects' obedience to the orders of the ruler(s).If subjects do not obey, leaders have no power.

I have been screaming this for a while now. He is 100% on the mark. Bullseye.

In Sharp's view all effective power structures have systems by which they encourage or extract obedience from their subjects. States have particularly complex systems for keeping subjects obedient. These systems include specific institutions (police, courts, regulatory bodies) but may also involve cultural dimensions that inspire obedience by implying that power is monolithic (the god cult of the Egyptian pharaohs, the dignity of the office of the President, moral or ethical norms and taboos). Through these systems, subjects are presented with a system of sanctions (imprisonment, fines, ostracism) and rewards (titles, wealth, fame) which influence the extent of their obedience

Seriously check out the stuff this guy writes. It's apparently top quality.
If I find anything scary or pro-govt like, I will link it.
edit on 24-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Here is a link to his website.
Albert Einstein Institute

You can download his books free here. They look awesome.

I have been thinking some of these things up on my own independently.
I guess it's just Common Sense. (Non-Violent Self-Liberation).

I'll try to see if there are any nefarious links to this. Looks too good to be true honestly.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Yup CIA Funded American government backed operation, for a greater middle east project which they had planned out for quite some time.

Wow after some research there is a good possibility you might be right on the mark with this accusation.

Theres tons of debate on it everywhere.

But, why would a tyrant support someone that's very message could challenge his own powers?

Are they so confident and sure that we Americans are so apathetic, uneducated, and distracted that we will never even pay attention to this guy, therefore never really form any legitimate protest movements?

Maybe our own groups (many organizations) who protest various topics, are controlled to keep things splintered and too conflicted to get anywhere. I don't know. Tough one this is.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I am greatly torn on this now.

On one hand I see a conspiracy staring me in the face.

On the other hand, I agree with what the guy says.

Somethings gotta give.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Huh the riots were in the plans (Project for the New American Century) for short a greater middle east project
www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Well to each his own but this is no little thing this is spreading world wide. Here is a list of countries:

To date Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Tunisia, and Yemen have all seen major protests, and minor incidents have occurred in China, Iraq, Kuwait, Mauritania, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan and Syria, North Korea.

I don't know if they are all reading this particular book however the Egyptians were.

Thats not the world wide thats the whole middle east, and only two riots in asia have happened but wont succeed.

In china it already failed and backed fired.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Originally posted by hawkiye

Thats not the world wide thats the whole middle east, and only two riots in asia have happened but wont succeed.

In china it already failed and backed fired.

Dude it is just beginning, also there Wisconsin protests, Greece, UK protest recently etc. It may be harder to get going in China but the seeds have been germinating since Tienanmen Square. North Korea is starving they have nothing to lose even though that regime is so brutally oppressive. Even if it is CIA initiated (of which there is no evidence) it is spreading in the middle east and to Asian and western countries. It will backfire on the CIA. People are fed up the Youth see no future in the current model so they are rising up. In the middle east they have been oppressed for centuries. we are in a world wide depression mostly contrived people are sick of it. This is not all CIA construct even if they have any hand it it, people are fed up. Mark my words this will continue to spread world wide. It's time!

What is it you are afraid of? There may be some sacrifice there always is but this guys book talk about remaining non-violent and how to minimize the casualties.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Wow after some research there is a good possibility you might be right on the mark with this accusation.

What research? if there is evidence post some of it. Agent_USA_Supporter's link doesn't prove anything it is well known the Bush administration wanted a new middle east. The Iranian youth have been threatening to rise up for years. They are sick of islamic rule and in fact they were the first to rise up last year. Maybe the CIA helped to agitate what they already wanted to do but the CIA is not managing this revolution and cannot contrive something like this step by step. All they can do is try and take advantage of revolutionary currents that are already brewing in these countries and have have been for decades.

The outcome is in the hands of the people of these countries the CIA nor anyone else can't control it. It is spreading and the winds of change are in the air. There is always a danger in revolution of the outcome having less freedom. However it is the only way forward. It is time for the middle east and Asia to move into the 21st century to more freedom. And the west to fully move into it's heritage of freedom and liberty.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Everyone needs to read and download the book. I am currently reading it and will give an analysis of it when I am done. It is a blue print for NON-VIOLENT resistance to tyranny folks! this is what the Egyptian youth used to bring down thier regime and it worked.

While it is aimed at dictatorships so far what I am reading could be applied to to America and it's oligarchy of elected but non responsive politicians. So far I am liking what I am reading.

edit on 25-2-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join