It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The secret world of doomsday shelters

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Shelters as with planning, depends on the threat. The threat has to take into account the cause, the duration and the effects and the recovery. That also is only half of the issue; the other being personal circumstance.

Personally and with past work experiences, I have had to consider and plan for various situations. For fun, I even planned out a all encompassing shelter and survival scenario that needless to say would cost millions. My personal situation doesn't allow for me to prepare for more than a situation involving little more than food shortage for a month or so, and small scale home defense. However, for many of the possible scenarios, my location is pretty bad, but there is little to nothing I can do about that. If my abilities improve I will increase my survival options.

If you look at all the possibilities, unless you have millions of dollars to aid your planning, your never going to come close to being able to prepare enough to survive 50% of them.

I finally had to accept the likelihood and if it come knocking at my door I just plan to go out and meet it face-to-face. When traumatic death is inevitable, I think that is about the best way a person can approach it.

edit: Just wanted to add, that I personally don't think that there is enough time left to prepare enough even if you had millions. At best, you could purchase a space at one of those bunkers that Vivos has, but even then, you need to live less than 30 min from it.
edit on 24-2-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rohdan
I'd love to live in a world like the one in Fallout 3

Why ? - I would be careful what you wish for if I were you.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
reply to post by Terviseks

I agree, if the bomb drops I want to be at Ground Zero, who needs to deal with Radiation Sickness etc?

Maybe "rather than" depending on what you meant! Hehe!

Great to "want" that its mentioned alot in Cresson kearney's ":nuclear war survival skills" a popular 70's era book. The Problem: unless you live in a major city or near a military base( i.e. targets).Alot of people will survive strikes ( at least for a while). Most of those had two ideas 1) "I'm gonna go out in the first fireball so I don't need any" preps" and 2)I'm gonna head to the hills and live off the land.( and don't have any"preps") both are nonstarters...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hey Wildeagle... hope you don't mind me butting into your thread again. But I've been thinking about this all day. What would a cheaper alternative be to the high end 'fancy' shelters? Shipping containers. LOL.. yeah I know, kinda on the weird side...at least thats what I thought too until I started looking online for some info on this as a viable alternative to more expensive shelters. It seems to be relatively cheap from what I am finding. On Ebay... of all places... one can purchase a used 40 foot shipping container for approximately $2,300. They can be buried for an underground shelter, can be 'planted' in the side of a hill for more of a berm type structure or can be used above ground as a regular home. They can also be outfitted with modern conveniences. Kind of interesting the things I learned from your posting, so thanks again. Below is a link to a website that has some fairly cool little shipping container dwellings.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

Great plan ..... "Shoot & Loot"

By the way, where did you get a "gun & ammo" in Northampton ? I think you need to do some more research..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rohdan
I'd love to live in a world like the one in Fallout 3

Really? Cause I killed everyone in sight in that game for their stuff...except the kids of course. You couldn't kill them.
edit on 25-2-2011 by SmokeandShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
there is another good thread on improv. shelters, personally im goin with the shipping container buried under ground.

posted on Mar, 8 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

I would and am planning to build my own shelter, my friends and I discuss it almost regularly. Yeah we all need to go sometime, but when I go, it will be having known I went "kicking and screaming" so-to-speak... I've known without a doubt in my mind since I was a little tike that I would be alive during the most horrific and f'ed up time in humanity... I've known about mass extinction or "the great culling" as those tight wad rich snobs who think they're Better than everybody else like to call it. And I'm not scared, I embrace it and accept the challenge, I will survive! And I will retaliate after I do... Be it aliens, governments, or secret societies, once money is no longer what rules this planit, let's see how "powerful" these people really are!

That was like 5 issues all packed into my rant, but I'm assuming u followed most of it being a regular on this site?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sparda4355

You sound like a fighter!!

I'm interested how you will build your shelter. Will you be getting one of those ready made type ones, or building from your own supplies?
I followed, yes, and these are very strange times indeed!
edit on 9-3-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
buy a converted missile silo, get your moneys worth

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Bomb shelters are only as good as what there designed for.

If your bomb shelter fails you chances are you wouldn't want to see whats outside!

Not many civilian shelters will protect you from a direct or close hit from a nuclear weapon full stop.
A bunker isn't going to protect you from looters or a civil war outside.

If you have images of popping out of your man hole and into a fallout style world I wish you good luck, I would consider other options to buy before such a event.

A secure concrete house or fortified room may protect you from a hurricane or natural disaster, stock up on some water, food and some survival gear. Its how I would spend my money

Just my 0.02 cents worth

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Interesting thoughts. I would say while it is true we can never be truly prepared. And despite the cost if I had it I would easily use the money to do so. In the end I may die before i even get close to my bunker. My family might not. It is hard to say but if i lay dying and had a shelter that i Knew was protected I could smile at death Knowing I at least left my Family secured.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Hells to the no, on the ready made shelter...

We actually are attacking every possible scenario and trying to combine them all for the perfect shelter... Without giving too many details on ats (as defending against the government is one of our most difficult scenarios) we intend to be suspended underwater (connected to the ground under water) to protect against severe earthquakes and other weather related scenarios, metallic mesh to prevent extreme EMPs from effecting our brainwaves, below ground zero (another benefit of underwater), 10 year food supplies (which I sell lol), the list goes on... We are also willing to admit were not even close (at this point) to sufficiently protecting ourselves from every scenario, but we've got a good start!

I have just now realized how nerdy this sounds trying to explain it outside my circle of friends, but for the record many drunken conversations have inspired our current "fallout" plan, although research was done sober! Lol

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join