It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The secret world of doomsday shelters

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

Having lost one house to hurricanes, I can tell you it's a good thing to stock up. It's also a good thing to have a bug out bag.

That kind of money isn't easy to come up with, for sure. If I could afford it I'd do it.That said a lot of times survival is a matter of luck at first - like not being where the bombs drop or the outbreak starts.

If it's a radiological issue you can survive in your house by putting as much material between you and the outside world as is possible. Despite Hollywood, fallout doesn't last all that long, especially if it rains and you have good drainage.

Bioweapons is a whole nother matter; best thing is to stay away from other people. A weaponized virus is most certainly going to be air-borne and easily spread from person to person.

There is only so long you can stay in any shelter. The best plan is to have multiple plans for different scenarios, since no single plan can cover everything.

We all die eventually, so whats most important is living and loving the people you care about right now while they are still here with you.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I don't believe there is some world-wide apocalypse coming... but local disasters such as earthquakes, tornados, and fires, happen all over the globe every day. Having a small stockpile of canned goods, firewood, medical kit, etc. is just good common sense.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

Thanks MyMindIsMyOwn!

You are so very right. Many of these companies do use the fear. And like you, I am not saying those who buy them are wrong either, but I hate to think of people struggling and worrying to come up with cash to get one, when they just don't have it.

I'm all for kitting out your current house in the ways that can be done, without a financial struggle... there is no need for anyone to live in fear if they can't get one of these bunkers. Prepare in the best way you can without stressing yourself, and be ready to accept what nature deals out.
Don't live the rest of your life in fear.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger

We all die eventually, so whats most important is living and loving the people you care about right now while they are still here with you.

Beautifully said!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Screw paying for that... it's called looting!!! Duh! that's what everyone does when the world takes a dump on you!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
[yvid]

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Besides doing the basics, Food, weapons, ect... It's really hard to prepare, when you do not know which disaster will strike. I can a lot of our food, meat and all. I have talked to my sons about trying to come home if anything does happen. I have a house with a basement. We would be ok for a while, as long as it isn't nuclear or such, but if that happens, I don't think I would want to be around after anyways. Wouldn't you die slowly from radiation?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If I win the Powerball I have a few I have my eyes on that will support long term survival.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Im afraid its going to be necessary to get as high as possible, while avoiding solar radiation. food, water, shelter, and security will be useless in a world wide flood.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

True...I guess people who want to prepare, need to prepare for all of it.
edit on 24-2-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I've written this multiple times before, but I'll say it again.

We do not live in a movie or video game. Being one of the last people standing after a SitX doesn't automatically make you a hero. I know it's really romantic to think that you'll be that dude or chic the days/weeks/months after, surviving on your wits and your stupid BOB, fending off mutant zombies and eventually leading a band of survivors to a new Utopia. Not bloody likely.

Anyway, enough ranting.

If you have the means and the desire, there's nothing wrong with having a personal shelter. Like anything though, it will cost you.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here's something I wonder about often. Let's say TS really HTF and it comes down to military or government against civilian survivors of < insert random massive destruction >. What good are underground bunkers going to do when there are satellites that can detect such things. Wasn't it those satellites that detected the tunnels under the Sphynx? If they can detect those tunnels, I'm sure they could detect underground bunkers just as easy.

Maybe this is the most paranoid thought I've ever had in my life. I'm actually 100% positive that it is, LOL! And no, I don't think it's going to come down to that but it's one of the thoughts I've had many times when reading about bunkers and underground shelters.

I often wonder if anyone else has thought about such things.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I definitely agree that no one will be FULLY prepared. This is because as many others have stated: The shelters effectiveness is untested, many people lack true survival skills, in the event of some worldwide disaster most natural resources will be destroyed/depleted/tainted (you can only stock up on so much food). I don't say this because I think "preparing" is a bad idea or waste of money but there are many other roads to take besides a near 40,000 dollar untested shelter, and a stockpile of canned food and water. Personally I am planning on getting a storm shelter ( far cheaper, though not supposed to be radiation proof), or a house with a basement. If you are planning on surviving some sort of event you should definitely learn the skills to continue to survive after said event. With all of this said if I had an extra $38,000 I would definitely purchase one of these shelters yet to my dismay I am not rich so I will make due with what I can: Intelligence, Instinct, and basic safety precautions. Don't let "preparing" or "surviving" run your life if you are meant to survive you will, if not , well everyone has to die someday so what's the difference between sooner or later.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

What exactly do you mean by doomsday shelters? Do you mean where would we go/hide when an asteroid hits? A nuclear bomb explodes? A chemical agent gets released and it gets to the point where you won't be able to breath no matter where you are without dying? (How ironic). Not trying to sound like a jerk, but in certain situations survival won't be in your vocabulary....

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
New plan buy small airplane have husband fly to Carribean. Live in one of those abandoned Turks and Caos buildings and eat fish the rest of our days. Take first aid kit, BOB and seeds. I don't know, all this doomsday talk makes me want to go on vacation. This plan won't work in a tusnami situation.
edit on 24-2-2011 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Shelterless, but I have a few sites around me.. Like the Greenbrier Resort for example...

I hope you have already made your reservations for the Greenbrier. It is one of the most well know hidey holes ever and I am sure there is a very long waiting list...legit or not.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I would hate to have to live through a major catastrophe. I just hope if it happens, I go quick and swift.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If you get the chance i highly recommend a film called "the road" released a couple years ago.
It's about a man and his son trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world ,scavenging what they can and trying to avoid gangs of cannibals who roam around looking for people to munch on.
If the world in the future ever turns out to be anything like what that film portrays i think i would like to die
at ground zero also.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Folks, in the advent of a nuclear missile strike, I would run towards the missile. Once you are toast, you chill out in heaven until the earth straightens itself out and then reincarnate. Easy.

However, if some of you want to carry on, here is a shelter for you that is free:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a6118a030da3.jpg[/atsimg]

If you have the cash, get the stash. Nothing wrong with that. I have taken measures to survive short term disasters, but see anything else too expensive. I have wrapped a few electronics in aluminum foil and put them in a homemade Faraday cage for an EMP.

Funny, while jogging the other day, I came across a long, concrete water tube near my house used to drain water. I figured in a mass coronal ejection, I could crawl into it.
Not sure I could fit my girlfriend, though.

edit on 24-2-2011 by alyoshablue because: typos

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I know what you mean about, "when the time comes... it comes."

What kind of life would it be to be confined to an underground bunker with the same people for the rest of your life, not knowing what is going on outside/topside? No matter how advanced, big, and comfortable a shelter it is... you would still have the knowledge that you are trapped underground.

On a more... superstitious (or theological, depending upon one's point of view) note: if the world comes to an "end" and the whole biblically defined Apocalypse occurs... I'd feel bad for those who hid underground. After all, you can't hide from God.
Plus, all of those who are hiding in expensive underground shelters, are obviously only concerned with themselves and their own well being. They might have passing thoughts about the multitude that is painfully dying outside, but if they really cared: they'd have built a big enough shelter for everyone! (But, I realize how impractical that is... In fact this whole discussion could be considered as such).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join