It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starving eagles falling out of the sky!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
What the hell!

Starving eagles ‘falling out of the sky’

Earlier this week, news reports that starving eagles were “falling out of the sky” in the Comox Valley, on Vancouver Island, confirmed his fears.

Wildlife rescue centres on the Island have reported birds growing so weak from hunger that they fall out of trees, or fly so clumsily they hit things. One crashed into a roof.

Mr. Hancock said a collapse of chum salmon runs has left British Columbia’s bald-eagle population without enough food to make it through the winter, leaving them weak from hunger and forcing thousands of birds to scavenge at garbage dumps.

And the craziest part :

“It was absolutely incredible. Within 10 days, we had gone from 7,200 eagles to 345 … So I knew it was going to be a pretty desperate winter,” said Mr. Hancock, who has been studying eagles for 50 years.

In TEN DAYS... from 7200 to 345!!! That's 95% of the birds dying in TEN DAYS! Crazy!

Ok this is no laughing matter, but... maybe those were SILVER eagles?

edit on 24-2-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Feb 26 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
This is awful. I hope some of them left and didn't die.

...fall out of trees, or fly so clumsily they hit things....

The hawks here are starting to show some of these symptoms. I've reported this in one of Hunka's threads. I pray I'm imaging things.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I just saw one flying by my house in the snow today. What a horrendous thing to have happen. They are such a noble, majestic creature. I hope I don't find any dead around our house....

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Can anyone in this area please find a way to feed these birds otherwise next year you will not have this problem because there will be no birds left

Go to the local market and big super markets and ask for all the old bread and fruit tell them it is for the birds this is the food stuff they would normally throw away..but cannot give to you for human consumption (ironically)
take this food and go out into the countryside and by rivers and lakes and start to feeding these birds

Please everyone start doing something now !!!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
What happend to the salmon!?
The sudden dissapearence of salmon will force the eagles to adapt verry fast to find an alternative food source.
If this happens again(the salmon not ariving in their usual numbers) the eagles will all die out.Sad

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I wonder if there is a connection between all this and the 'white nose' syndrome found to be killing all the bats, apparently they became disorientated and weak and starved to death, scientists couldn't explain it. does anyone know anymore about this?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I have a feeling either the birds are being effected by similar forces to the other bird die offs, which seems far more likely to me, or the fish are all dead and washed up somewhere.

It's not as simple as, the fish decided not to migrate.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by xsheep

Go to the local market and big super markets and ask for all the old bread and fruit tell them it is for the birds this is the food stuff they would normally throw away..but cannot give to you for human consumption (ironically)
take this food and go out into the countryside and by rivers and lakes and start to feeding these birds

I don't think bread and fruit is going to help the eagles.

In fact, any kind of feeding is usually regarded as a bad idea because they become too reliant on humans for food - it just exacerbates the problem long-term.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
No doubt this is bad for the eagles but just because the count in one area is down does not necessarily mean that all those eagles have died. Most of them have simply dispersed to other areas in search of food.
Why did the Chum Salmon collapse?
This is very illustrative of how things in the environment affect each other.
The collapse of the salmon will also affect other species including Grizzlies and Wolves.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember

Originally posted by xsheep

I don't think bread and fruit is going to help the eagles.

In fact, any kind of feeding is usually regarded as a bad idea because they become too reliant on humans for food - it just exacerbates the problem long-term.

very true the eagles do need to catch their own wild food
I was thinking more about the other species of birds who are also dying because of the disruption too their food chain ...due to harsh weather and what ever else that seems to be killing off the birds.

when the ice froze over the park lakes we had a lot of fish die here due to lack of oxygen
also the water birds where suffering greatly as it was a very harsh winter so we fed the wild birds fruit grain and bread everyday which we got from the local market ....we did this while the lakes and the canals where frozen
and I am happy to say no dead birds have been reported around here that I am aware of .
I know this does not solve the long term problem it just keeps the birds feed until they can feed themselves

I do believe there will be a lot of native birds looking for new places to live...as the weather is changing around the world

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
In our area Eagles are not starving due to lack of food, they are being sufficated by Buffalo gnats. These gnats get in air passages of baby eagles, turkeys, and have even killed some of our adult chickens. These gnats are new to the area, appearing only a few years ago. They get worse every year, getting in your eyes, ears, nose, and mouth, horrible for all animals here. You mentioned that the salmon may not have migrated this year. I have noticed strange migrations due to the weather in the last few years, armadillos have been found here in Illinois. Even the robins which are the harbinger of spring, decided to show up in January, usually they arrive in late March.
It seems like the only rules to nature anymore is that there are no more rules.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is from a local news station in Seattle. It's a video someone caught showing two Bald Eagles falling to ground with talons locked. It doesn't say why they did - only that they did. (Were they mating, fighting, etc.) I nearly burst into tears when they stopped moving - but it does show them get up and fly away. I just thought it may relate to this post in some way.

Bald Eagles fall to ground

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by onthelookout
This is from a local news station in Seattle. It's a video someone caught showing two Bald Eagles falling to ground with talons locked. It doesn't say why they did - only that they did. (Were they mating, fighting, etc.) I nearly burst into tears when they stopped moving - but it does show them get up and fly away. I just thought it may relate to this post in some way.

Bald Eagles fall to ground

I didn't watch the video but I do know Bald Eagles mate this way but usually it's during free fall...I have no proof of my theory about whats going on worldwide with the food chain but I believe it's all connected from the bottom up. I think it comes from Pesticides/Carcenigens that big buisness has shamelesly polluted our waters with and farmland..Effectively poisoning everything from insects/plankton on up and it's just starting to take effects on larger animals maybe thats why they seem disoriented and weak is because they have food poisoning.. If bees and other insects are dying from Monsanto poisons in makes sense to think that fish and larger animals are eating the poisoned insects contaminating them and the next animal that eats them gets poisoned etc etc etc.. Thats my best guesstimation either that or the poles have moved so much that they are all disoriented and kinda have motion sickness..but i dont know if the poles moving would have a effect on Fish Migration, does anybody know if it would have a effect on thier migratory patterns???

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Breaking News!!!!!!!!!
The guys at the local DEC office got new print cartridges and were goofing around popping the bubble wrap, apparently this startled some pigeons who fell into a stream on top of the salmon and killed them all. Basically the eagles died from the bubble wrap. I just heard it on the radio, "Katie Curiks Notebook" I think it was.
Before you go throwing stones because you think I'm making a joke here I suggest you read the rest of the "official" reports to recent die offs, happens all the time.

new topics

top topics

join