It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dirty Air Triggers More Heart Attacks Than Cocaine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Wow!

We all know the air we breath is polluted, right? Just how dirty is it...

Feb 24 (Reuters Life!) - Air pollution triggers more heart attacks than using coc aine and poses as high a risk of sparking a heart attack as alcohol, coffee and physical exertion, scientists said on Thursday.

Sex, anger, marijuana use and chest or respiratory infections and can also trigger heart attacks to different extents, the researchers said, but air pollution, particularly in heavy traffic, is the major culprit.

The findings, published in The Lancet journal, suggest population-wide factors like polluted air should be taken more seriously when looking at heart risks, and should be put into context beside higher but relatively rarer risks like drug use.

That is just crazy to me, and a pretty good eye opener. As I did know the air was filthy, I was not aware of how bad it is. Maybe the pollution clouded my judgement.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) describes air pollution as "a major environmental risk to health" and estimates that it causes around 2 million premature deaths worldwide every year.

Nawrot's team combined data from 36 separate studies and calculated the relative risk posed by a series of heart attack triggers and their population-attributable fraction (PAF) -- in other words the proportion of total heart attacks estimated to have been caused by each trigger.

The highest risk PAF was exposure to traffic, followed by physical exertion, alcohol, coffee, air pollution, and then things like anger, sex, coc aine use, smoking marijuana and respiratory infections.

"Of the triggers for heart attack studied, coc aine is the most likely to trigger an event in an individual, but traffic has the greatest population effect as more people are exposed to (it)," the researchers wrote. "PAFs give a measure of how much disease would be avoided if the risk was no longer present."

That is pretty bad. According to this it is almost less harmful to bungee jump without the bungee than it is to inhale outside.

A report published late last year found that air pollution in many major cities in Asia exceeds the WHO's air quality guidelines and that toxic cocktails of pollutants results in more than 530,000 premature deaths a year.

It's everywhere I suppose. I guess this is one of those occassions where it is not a good thing to have competition.

Something is going to have to give. These numbers are insane IMO. What do you guys think? Surely I am not the only one who knew it was bad, but am still shocked by the enormity of it.

Read more here:
www.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 2/24/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
This doesn't surprise me in the least. Oxygen is our number one need for survival. Constant inhalation of pollutants and chemicals has to be damaging, seeing how our bodies haven't exactly adapted filtering systems beyond mucus and hair.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

An added benefit from being a member here, is that even in my research I learn new things.

Oxygen is valuable indeed. I will have to look further into what more I can do to lessen my impact on this.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
maybe somebody needs to send this article to the NY City
Mayor who just passed a law banning smoking outside.

Like for real a couple butts being burned is more
dangerous than a million cars in city traffic
and the billowing smoke from industrial
smokestacks.

Somebody's priorities are def screwed up.

Oh, that's right, those big companies pay him
kickbacks, which the smokers do not.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
WOW your quick I was just finishing a thread on this and came across your title in a google search for secondary sources...here's what I had to say lol

Let me just say I have been saying this to people who have argued the health risks of things like smoking cannabis with me and now they have proven it! However I don't see our government here in the US taking billions of dollars from the "war on drugs" to start a new much more righteous war on pollution. In fact now more than ever is something like that needed though. With the state of our ecosystems today I'd rate pollution way higher on my list of worries and fears than any drug out there.

A secondary source here...Reuters
edit on 24-2-2011 by RickyD because: Added link

The highest risk PAF was exposure to traffic, followed by physical exertion, alcohol, coffee, air pollution, and then things like anger, sex, coc aine use, smoking marijuana and respiratory infections.

edit on 24-2-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join