It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

does the moon, magnetism effect the human brain?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I've been thinking lately about how the moon and magnetic fields of the Earth could effect the brain.
Could it be possible, since the moon was so close to us so long ago, that humans could've actually possessed awesome mind power? Is it reasonable to say that Atlantis used this to become a technological marvel? Since magnetism and electricity are closely related could the effect produce a faster neural speed?

Any thoughts (either sane or insane are appreciated)

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Two thirds of the human body is water. Water is an essential component involved in every function of the body. It helps transport nutrients and waste products in and out of cells. It is necessary for all digestive, absorption, circulatory and excretory functions, and for the maintenance of proper body temperature.

The moon has such a dramatic effect on the Earth�s oceans, then could it have a similar relationship with our bodies,as water is such a large part of our make up? The theory argues that a mini tidal effect, especially in the liquid surrounding the brain, must have consequences on us. However, it may not due to the scale . Whilst there is a marked and visible effect on the oceans and seas, which give us tides, the moon�s gravitational pull is interacting with vast volumes of water. The same rise and fall as in the oceons is not seen in a glass of water or even a container filled with the same amount of water as in the human body. The general scientific consensus therefore seems to be that the moon�s tidal effect on a human body is negligible or non-existent. Although the pull from the moon does not seem to affect us directly in this way, it does have a profound effect on the Earth and on numerous biological events - and these certainly do affect us.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   

The waning of the moon is the symbol for the waning of the mind; for the mind has to be controlled, reduced and finally destroyed

Saw this on a website, It has some interesting ideas about the moon and the mind. Not sure the credabillty of the site though.

beaskund.helloyou.ws...

arc

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
the moon has quite a noticeable effect on my mood and energy levels - I tend to get quieter and more withdrawn at the new moon and much more active and sociable at the full moon. Being female complicates things slightly however and I know if my menstrual cycle coincides with the full moon I'm usually in for a very rough time of it. I've been carrying out a personal experiment for the last few months on really concentrating on the phase (hence my avatar which is updated every 4 hours from US Naval Observatory database) and mind over matter appears to be having the effect of gradually swinging my cycle round to coinciding with the new moon instead.

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Absolutely...

One only needs to look at female menstral cycles to understand the impact the moon has on people, both mentally and physically. The water in the cells analogy is a good one...

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Really! I had no idea the moon actually impacts the inside of your body. So, is there some kind of cycle that our bodies follow along with the moon? Is this what horoscopes represent, how you feel and what you're thinking because of the planetary positions coupled with a full, new or half-moon?

My goodness how interesting

arc

posted on Mar, 21 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
there are several cycles in humans

obviously the menstrual cycle, however this doesn't always follow the 29.5 day lunar cycle exactly. In fact I'd say rarely - can vary from a couple of weeks to a few months in some instances, usually averaging out at 21 to 35 days.

men supposedly have a monthly cycle too, but I know very little about this.

Plus we are all supposed to be affected by biorhythms, which control our physical and emotional well being, our mental faculties and our intuitive powers. I've been trying to follow mine through an astrology site but I'm not making much headway with them yet

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Real Deal Two thirds of the human body is water.

Actually, it's more than that...Without any moisture at all, we'd be reduced to about 3 pounds of powdered chemicals. Using a figure above 90% would be more accurate...

Originally posted by 29MV29 Really! I had no idea the moon actually impacts the inside of your body. So, is there some kind of cycle that our bodies follow along with the moon?

Check out the timescale on "bio-rythmic" cycles...If I'm not mistaken, this cycle is pretty much consistant with the moon's current *position in orbit*, rather than it's current phase, when compared with the geographic location of the person who charts their biorythms. In other words, the moon's gravitational effect on us would be measured in *orbital cycles* more strongly than its phase-cycles. I haven't been able to correlate this yet myself so I could be mistaken.

Another overlooked point is the effects the symptoms & level of severity of "jetlag" when a person makes a sudden change from one geographic area to another. Think of how the moon's gravity might affect a person's body when they change their location by 90 degrees or so of Longitude...Since such travel is completed in a relatively short period of time, that person has just moved into the *opposite* side of the moon's orbital path. Of all of the theorys that I've seen about the moon's orbital cycle having an effect on our bodies, I've never read of anything that considers this point...

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   
If the moon does so affect us , like you guys have been saying. Wouldn't it be true then that all of the planets affect us? And if so..wouldn't this mean that our lives are kind of written in the stars-per say?
Ok that was more then one question, but can anyone answer them for me?
Thanks

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 10:09 AM
link   
When you consider the vast distances between planets, the only solar bodies that would be close enough to Earth & massive enough to exert any kind of significant effect of gravity would be our own moon (& the Sun, naturally
). The other planets should not be causing any significant effects on our human bodies, simply because of distance...The moon is only a few hundred-thousand miles from Earth (about 384,000 miles). The Sun, while being much farther away (about 8 light-minutes), is still massive enough to generate the gravity well neccesary to hold the planets within their orbits. Other than those two solar bodies, there are none that are massive enough to generate enough gravity to have any significant effect over the distances involved.

Of course, the "rogue bodies" (asteroids, comets & such) do occasionally come close enough that there could be *some* minor gravity effects (severity of effect depending upon mass & distance) as they pass close by.

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Everything is effected by everything, throughout the universe, Magestica. The pull of one object on another is controlled by amount of mass, distance and by the gravitational pull of other objects. The moon is closest and largest, so it'll have the most effect, obviously.

As far as our lives being written in the stars, look at it this way, while the moon may pull you in a direction, aren't you able to use your own power and go in the direction of your choosing?

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne As far as our lives being written in the stars, look at it this way, while the moon may pull you in a direction, aren't you able to use your own power and go in the direction of your choosing?

It's sort of like what the astrophysicists say about astrology..."You're more likely to be affected by the force of gravity generated by the dentist leaning over your chair than you are to be affected by the gravity coming from the outer planets in our solar system."

posted on Mar, 23 2003 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So then....I know this astrology related but this is perhaps where I excell the most because I've studied astrology and the influence of the stars and planets they have on us for many years.
Now don't laugh and think to yourself(like I know you are as you read this LOL) she's one of "those." Because I'm not life dependant on the planets at all!! But I do think, after all my in depth studies, that people are very much affected by the planets. I know this is silly but I have not been wrong in many years, I can guess your sign after I've known you for a very short time. The few times I've been wrong, I did the persons astrological chart and I actually guessed their moon sign instead of their sun sign. So all in all, I think there is definately a big mystery and secret to life written in the stars. And most definately the moon as you guys stated. Because when it's a full moon, my husband swears I become a werewolf lol!!

posted on Mar, 25 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
"obviously the menstrual cycle, however this doesn't always follow the 29.5 day lunar cycle exactly. In fact I'd say rarely - can vary from a couple of weeks to a few months in some instances, usually averaging out at 21 to 35 days"

While the lunar cycle is an influence, there are other influences as well. Stress, proximity to other women (i.e. an evolutionary trait, since ancient times, where women together seem to menstrate at the same time).

As TC said though, sure, astrological movements likely have some influence on us, but influence is different than writing our lives and our destiny.

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 07:40 AM
link   
In 2000, BT (main British Telephone Company) conducted a survey to find out why the amount of calls made jumped sharply on certain days of the year. They found out that the peaks coincided with a full moon.

"On scienceworld just before Christmas we told you that, according to BT, bizarrely, people make more telephone calls around the time of the full moon. Well, according to doctors at the Accident and Emergency dept. at Bradford hospital, the full moon also co-incides with admitting more patients who have been bitten by wild-animals than at other times in the moon cycle"

www.thenakedscientists.com.../shows/2001.01.21.htm~mainFrame

Gave up finding a link from BT, their site's too annoying.

posted on Jan, 14 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Did you know all crimes increase during a full moon, excluding murder?? This mean rape, robbery, assault, everything!
My mom also works at a hospital for mentally uh..insane people, and she said she believes the moon affects us, becuase during a full moon, her patients get really really wierd!

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
[q]and the influence of the stars and planets they have on us for many years[/q]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but its not that the stars and planets have a causal effect on us, but that they are layed out such that they are "predictors", not "causers". I honestly dno't know but am curious what astrologers take on it is.

About the moon being closer to earth gave us greater powers in antiquity. Remember that Leedskalnin used the power of the ancients only 70 years ago to create the Coral Castle. Although, I might remember something about him only working on nights when it was very dark (i.e. moon in conjunction with the sun). Anyone remember details like that?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
In astrology it is a "steering" mechanism....i.e. moon is in the seventh house of blah blah blah, predisposes your sign to blah blah blah.....

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29

I've been thinking lately about how the moon and magnetic fields of the Earth could effect the brain.
Could it be possible, since the moon was so close to us so long ago, that humans could've actually possessed awesome mind power? Is it reasonable to say that Atlantis used this to become a technological marvel? Since magnetism and electricity are closely related could the effect produce a faster neural speed?

Any thoughts (either sane or insane are appreciated)

Another thought: Could this be the origins of the werewolf/full moon myth? Perhaps people acting strangely or feral?

rb

posted on Jan, 18 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I've read recently (last week or two), that there seems to be improvement of clinical depression in those who suffer from it after an MRI. Studies are about to begin. Sounds like magnetism affects humans.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join