It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indigenous Ecuadoran Woman Humbles US Oil Giant

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
Chevron will just increase thier prices, they won't lose any money. How is this a win for anybody, the environment will still be poisoned for years to come, and no one at chevron is taking any real responsability.

The only win for these people would have been the forced destruction of the local oil industry. This is no different than taking a bribe.

I agree that the dismantling of the entire operation would have been better.

If that were the case I.B.M. as well as other corporations should have been dismantled for assisting Hitler.

Money though is next to the best thing.

In tandem with forcing them to clean up their mess on their own dime.

Originally posted by lee anoma
Nice one!

I hope this makes a difference and someone acts.

Chances are, nothing much will get done and they are going to just fight this one till everyone is exhausted, but one can hope these "humbled" (heh) Oil giants put people before money.

Now if only the Somalians could get some serious media attention to the toxic waste dumping there by other foreign nations that is ruining their lives and the environment.

If they do, it may actually address the "pirating" problems that even South Park understood.

- Lee

I have no doubt Chevron will appeal this decision and the fine.

Hopefully the judge has more cojones than our Federal judges and ups the fine.

Feel free to add a link if you have one about Somalia and their woes.

I've heard about it and it touches on the topic in a small regard.

Originally posted by Aeons
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

These sorts of resources are not local trade pools.

Your petroleum is more technically challenging to produce than many other areas, and your skilled pool of human resources are not as cheap. No matter how good you think you're going to get, it'd be tough to out compete areas where this resource is mainly difficult to produce based on their very bad security situations and little local skilled labour.

So your suggestion is *not* to use the cheapest sources. To more rapidly drain *your* resources than others. Which would then leave you somewhat defenseless.

Your idea seems so simple. Shooting yourself in the head is also simple, but not the best idea.

Maybe someone should train those people with schooling then.

Technically challenging?

The oil has been flowing for decades out of Texas and Alaska.

If the wells are already dug there's no technically challenging aspect to it.

China Buying Texas Oil Fields

Gee, China is buying our debt, and our oil?

Simple indeed.

Try again and thanks for stopping by.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

You just got me thinking....

When a corporation trashes an ecology, and currency is what is sought/demanded/offered as restitution, isn't that kinda like a man who has a virgin bride which is killed and in restitution he is offered a prostitute?

The value of that which is being offered as restitution is much less than the ecological home which was destroyed, It's like resolving the loss of an original michaelangelo by offering some clipart....

Another more apt analogy would be as if the courts are mandating an amnesiac drug... Something which will make her forget about what she has lost as opposed to something which actually replaces that which was lost IN KIND...

It is somewhat punitive to the corporations, given that it is using the values of that the corporation has, but it does not provide restitution to the woman in the terms of values that she has...namely a native home, or the blocking of future cases.

A company which does this once, should be fined heavily, a company which does this twice should have double the levy of the last one, and a company that does this thrice should be relieved of it's ability to do business.

That would be the only thing comparable to what they have done to these homes of others.... In order to prevent this in the future, the cost must be so great to the corporations, a literal death sentence should loom over their corporate necks if we ever wish to curb this behavior.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
What has been pointed out here is absolutely true. That fine is going to be passed on to the consumers, they will face no real repercussion at all. Their wallets will continue to overflow and the earth will continue to decay. How about some real consequences for these spineless corporate jackasses?

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I can see where you're coming from to an extent.

A virgin-bride never gets that virginity back.

Neither does the Earth regain her beauty when crapped upon by petroleum corporations.

Unfortunately, Judges can only go so far as the law allows, for now.

Personally, they should make the fines, pay out per day until the area is cleaned up.

And make it hurt like nothing else in the world matters.

As well Court Order that the corporations cannot change their prices to offset their losses for 10 years.

Make it hurt, hurt, hurt.

I said that back when BP Plc screwed the pooch.

And our gulf is still screwed, all the oil is just sitting on the bottom, where no one can see it.

Originally posted by XxXAmmoXxX
What has been pointed out here is absolutely true. That fine is going to be passed on to the consumers, they will face no real repercussion at all. Their wallets will continue to overflow and the earth will continue to decay. How about some real consequences for these spineless corporate jackasses?

Of course.

But corporations can buy Judges too.

Or have them killed.

Do not forget these corporations sponsor organizations like K.B.R. as assassins.
edit on 2/27/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join