It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indigenous Ecuadoran Woman Humbles US Oil Giant

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
Cant help but notice what she said....and trust me, those bastards must fry.

But, it wasn't about the oil companies fixing what was polluted....or about putting the oil execs behind bars.

It was about "paying ME".

I mean, she deserves the money....but almost makes her seem as greedy as the oil execs.

edit on 24-2-2011 by amongus because: Just sayin

Not at all... she's merely representing her home... she is right in saying that THEY have screwed HER by treating HER home as a TRASHDUMP

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

the killer question - who gets the $9.5Bn - and what will it be spent on ?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It should be spent to prosecute their asses till they go bankrupt... Then again, rich lawyers are kind of scary too.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Yes I agree that is what I am wondering myself. If I was the judge I would make the highest up the ranks responsible to clean it themselves in what we call here community service. No hiring out, they do it themselves.Let them get down in the muck and see for themselves. Live amongst the people they have condemned without a second thought. Then what is left they put back into the community to help heal it and hopefully reestablish it somehow, be it planting crops, trees, etc.

I have never understood how, if we can put a man on the moon (ahem) and we can put gigabytes of information on a pinhead, why we can drill and work with nature in a safe way. What is wrong with this picture?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Remeber the movie the Matrix? The program Smith says that he has finally decided to put humans in the classification of a virus because they form no relationship with there enviroment. They simple consume all they can and move on to the next resource. That sentence will always be stuck in my mind. I wonder what we will do when we finally screw this planet up so bad it can no longer support us.: mad:
: o
edit on 24-2-2011 by David134 because: Because i cant spell

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The fact that she won is great. However - everyone will pay! The Oil and Gas speculators just need an excuse to raise Oil prices and they are currently going through the roof. It's bad enough the Middle East is frightening everyone. The unfortunate fact that we rely on Oil is helping choke every economy. Any subject that gives the Oil companies (Wall Street speculators) an opportunity to raise prices effects all that use it. The house of cards is falling - and we're on the bottom. She may enjoy a victory - we are going to pay at the pump.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Chevron will just increase thier prices, they won't lose any money. How is this a win for anybody, the environment will still be poisoned for years to come, and no one at chevron is taking any real responsability.

The only win for these people would have been the forced destruction of the local oil industry. This is no different than taking a bribe.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

The world has turned into the "me" society it is today due to litigousness of citizens.

One lawsuit and a corporation is paying out the nose.

And then there is the abuse of the appeal system.

Not to mention criminals having more rights than citizens.

A criminal sues after injuring themselves during a robbery.

I would never pay that bill and I would tell the Judge that it would be a cold day in Hell.

If a criminal sued me for injuring himself on my property he would never make it to court.

And I would not only couter-sue him for traumatizing myself but I would sue the Judge and all of his or her superiors, making it a class-action lawsuit, on the grounds of malfeasance, fiscal negligence, and incompetance.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Thanks.

I just happened to see the article and jumped on it quick.

Surprising it has caught so little attention in the media.

Then again the media acts as a corporate crack addicted whore to the comglomerate being the pimp.

Bad news makes better news than good news and the cycle of negativity carries on.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Nice one!

I hope this makes a difference and someone acts.

Chances are, nothing much will get done and they are going to just fight this one till everyone is exhausted, but one can hope these "humbled" (heh) Oil giants put people before money.

Now if only the Somalians could get some serious media attention to the toxic waste dumping there by other foreign nations that is ruining their lives and the environment.

If they do, it may actually address the "pirating" problems that even South Park understood.

- Lee

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The Ecuadorian government is just as corrupt. They chase away any company that doesn't play their game of corruption, leaving only the one's willing to be like this in the country.

They are not a government for the people.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I am beyond believing or hoping that a gov for the people exists anywhere on earth. Corruption and abuse seem to seep into every crevice. I am convinced that the only hope for a truly fair government is one where all citizens are heavily involved in decisions made.... And actual consequences for astronomical screw ups by gov officials wouldn't hurt either.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestink
In the grand scheme of things this means nothing to a big faceless corporation. the higher up still get there massive bonuses, everyone keeps there jobs and stake holders still get there dividends.

nothing has changed

move onto the next location and do it all again

One would hope this makes this corporation think twice about screwing other countries.

But in the long-run you're more than likely correct.

Personally, I think collectively, the citizens of America need a class-action lawsuit.

Against all of the foreign oil being shipped into America.

Texas and Alaska have more than enough oil and this will reduce our gas prices.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by XxXAmmoXxX
I am beyond believing or hoping that a gov for the people exists anywhere on earth. Corruption and abuse seem to seep into every crevice. I am convinced that the only hope for a truly fair government is one where all citizens are heavily involved in decisions made.... And actual consequences for astronomical screw ups by gov officials wouldn't hurt either.

Governments aren't isolated entities from the people, usually. If you see lack of ethics, corruption, and despicable behaviour in the government it is because the people there is a large amount of that in the populace, and an acceptance for it in the culture.

Seeing it distilled might make it more obvious, put it doesn't make it unique.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

These sorts of resources are not local trade pools.

Your petroleum is more technically challenging to produce than many other areas, and your skilled pool of human resources are not as cheap. No matter how good you think you're going to get, it'd be tough to out compete areas where this resource is mainly difficult to produce based on their very bad security situations and little local skilled labour.

So your suggestion is *not* to use the cheapest sources. To more rapidly drain *your* resources than others. Which would then leave you somewhat defenseless.

Your idea seems so simple. Shooting yourself in the head is also simple, but not the best idea.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
This case has been going on for decades. One of the last defenses for Chevron was the assertion that the indigenous people that brought the suit didn't exist: grandma quashed that completely. Chevron has as I understand it, already appealed to a higher court (the UN?). But having been to the Ecuadorian Amazon recently, it's obvious that the money is sorely needed and that no cleanup was never initiated.

My best wishes to the Ecuadorian people in their quest to restore the environment to a productive state. The hard core skeptic in me is concerned that Chevron will never pay out, ignoring the judgement or keeping it in the courts for decades more.

ganjoa

Chevron actually tried to say indigenous populations did not exist?

Man, these people are so God-damned corrupt, it surprises me no one eliminated them.

I hope Chevron keeps getting screwed, over and over again, until they hemmorhage money.

Clean up your damned mess, Chevron, we had to clean up our rooms as children.

Where is your responsbility on the world stage?

I guess ethics are not a part of the business model.

Not even close when it comes to corporations.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
reply to post by amongus

That's really it in a nut shell.

These greedy profiteering corporations wouldn't be able to pull this crap without locals who turn a blind eye for the sake of jobs or take straight out bribes.

Sadly, it's always about the money.

Truly though, globalism is such a lie. People can argue all they want that it creates jobs and spreads democracy but really it's just a conduit for spreading consumerism and the addiction to money across the globe at the expense of natural resources and local heritage.

"Globalism" is a means to sidestep national and or corporate responsibility for their messes.

It is as well a means to ignore those within a local populace through blackmail.

The leverage is if these global corporations go away you will not have a job, a town or city, and or a nation which can support you.

Corporate agendas are only about making money, or making their image better, after screwing people.

McDemocracy is a lie, democracy is not a McDonalds franchise, freedom isn't free.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Not a victory really. 9 billion dollars isn't going to do any good when they have already poisoned the earth. They should be sentenced to spend the rest of their lives cleaning up the disgusting filth they spread.

Of course.

BP Plc should be doing the same damned thing.

Unfortunately, these corporations have hoards of lawyers, to protect their interests.

And screw entire countries.

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Awesome! Good for her! It's just too sad that it had to go on this long. The oil jerks have no regard for life of ANY kind! They only care about money.

Agreed.

Corporations have no regards for anything other than their profit margins.

And repairing their image after screwing up big time.

As long as there is oil out there they will barely touch Texan or Alaskan oil. When all of the other oil is used up as they claim will happen, who will hold all the power? The people that control the last reserves of oil here in the US. Huge scheme to have us by the nads brought to you by US scum.

That is after all the master plan to drain everyone else.

Meanwhile stockpiling oil in Texas and Alaska.

And when we've drained everyone else's resource jack the prices up time 500% profit.

This has always been the plan, I first heard about this plan 31 years ago, when I was 6 years old.

It's still been ongoing and will continue until we stop them.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

As well as not leading to fracking and nuisance by-products.

"Hydro" fracking is something I am hell-bent to eliminate. The "hydro" is misleading. They use a great deal of toxic stuff with any water they use, and it poisons the water table.

Here where I am, there is great awareness and protest against the frackers. Still, there needs to be more and a wide spread.

Well, make sure and give my thread out to those locals, and or encourage them to become ATS members.

Fracking is something I instantly stood against the moment I learned of it.

These corporations must be held accountable for their actions before raping the world into oblivion.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

Hopefully they ever pay it out.

Let us hope whoever does turns it into something excellent towards the clean-up.

And as well raises awareness of Chevron's misdeeds.

Originally posted by David134
Remeber the movie the Matrix? The program Smith says that he has finally decided to put humans in the classification of a virus because they form no relationship with there enviroment. They simple consume all they can and move on to the next resource. That sentence will always be stuck in my mind. I wonder what we will do when we finally screw this planet up so bad it can no longer support us.: mad:
: o
edit on 24-2-2011 by David134 because: Because i cant spell

You mean this line?

The Matrix: Agent Smith Speech

You do know this speech represented racial purity and Naziesque speech right?

While, yes, humans act like a virus, they could have described us as locusts.

Insects instead of a virus.

Especially when Government tries to get us into the Hive Mind mentality.

Originally posted by NAMWAS
The fact that she won is great. However - everyone will pay! The Oil and Gas speculators just need an excuse to raise Oil prices and they are currently going through the roof. It's bad enough the Middle East is frightening everyone. The unfortunate fact that we rely on Oil is helping choke every economy. Any subject that gives the Oil companies (Wall Street speculators) an opportunity to raise prices effects all that use it. The house of cards is falling - and we're on the bottom. She may enjoy a victory - we are going to pay at the pump.

Yes, they might have lost in court, but they will turn it around into a profit margin somehow.

At our expense.

No matter our thoughts on the matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join