It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand EQ 6.3 or higher?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

hmmm.... how about the water current?
edit on 23-2-2011 by ValValient4 because: simplified

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ValValient4

What about it? Amps or knots?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I know what you mean I just watched a short clip on my local news channel and it almost seemed like they were down playing the major event.
I told my kids that I have pictures on ATS from our members in NZ of massive street flooding and that the EQ was down rated, that it was MUCH much higher than they are reporting, that the USGS or who ever over there has fudged the numbers.

I am angry.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Nothing was downgraded. But you want some pictures?

www.boston.com...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ValValient4

Yep you are spot on. The quake last year would of weakened the city. This 2nd one was the icing on the cake including the aftershocks that were measuring over 5.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The reason the 6.3 was FAR more destructive is that the epicenter was only 3.2 miles in depth. The 7.3 in Sept was FAR deeper in the earth, and the earth's ground absorbs a lot of the energy before the S/P waves reach the surface.

Come on.... Now I DO agree, the USGS has removed quakes off lists, but this could be for many reasons.. Incorrect data, or a diabolical long-term plan to make you post more.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Also the epicentre was a lot closer - Lyttleton is only about 15km/10 miles from the centre of hte city - the Darfield one was 40km away - about 25 miles (and about 10km/6 miles down).

Given inverse quare and all that I'm sure someoen can figure h\out how much extra attenuation that resulted in.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join