It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama tells Gaddafi: Libya violence must stop

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
This warn is nothing for Gaddafi right now, he said that he was willing to fight to the last minute.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder

A sole US sanction isn't going to make any impact or resolution of the situation at hand but one lazer guided missle would. Cost...a blue light special, result a country of happy campers.
edit on 23-2-2011 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

Last I knew a Tomahawk cruise missile cost just under $600K, basic price without the warhead. That is pocket change nowadays. Wish I had such pockets.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Yeah me too. If I did we would be having margaritas and lobster tacos at your place.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Im really hoping that someone close to him in the military takes him out. Or perhaps a military strike on his palace.If he really has needed to use missionary forces like we have heard it seems the military is not to pleased with him right now , so we can hope.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by vjr1113

someone needs a timeline of the us economy. remember bush saying there was no recession?

Oh I know all about that monkey. Thing is, I was saying that Obama did nothing really to IMPROVE the economy. What he and his goons did is actually MASK it... it'll come down, don't you worry, and the scam they both pulled will be revealed.

And i can imagine the Russians are thinking the same for the usa government, why not send a russian bear bomber and drop a bomb well we are at it?

Because NATO can wipe out Russia.

or maybe drop few bombs where the former bill Clinton lives? or bush for that matter.

If Obama was a real ``change`` guy, the first thing he would have done is arrest those people.

I guess you have no pity for what america did to Iraq or Serbia for that matter

Hmmm I do, that's why I said... that the US government didn't care about international law when it was time to invade Iraq... or go into Serbia... and watch the genocide happen while doing nothing. I know, my uncle was there with UN troops, watching atrocities while he couldn't do anything about it or he would have ended up in jail with his career over.

I know all about Serbia and Yougoslavia, my uncle told me all about it.

the riots or the revolutions are manufactured by the greater middle east project.

Says who? The riots are happening because of Bernanke's economic policies of exporting hyperinflation. If this is really a ``greater middle-east project``, we'll see...

And So whats difference between the usa government which hires and bribes terrorist groups to do Americas covert agaisnt the law missions? including killing civilians.

Libya does it openly while everyone watches.

There's no one good here. Not the US government, not the Libyan government. Both are terrorists, the US government has funded and armed more dictators we can think of... including Saddam, the Shah, the Talibans, the Pakistani government, the Saudi government, the Bahrain government...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Anwar al-Sadat descibed Gaddafi in 1975 as: "100 per cent sick and possessed by the devil".

Sadat was later assasinated.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
ooooh, sanctions

I betcha he is scared now. jeez I hate to say it but unless the UN does something but make statements and threaten sanctions they cant be taken seriously. He needs a bullet in his ass not sanctions.
edit to remove angry rant...
edit on 23-2-2011 by paradiselost333 because: started thinking

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Obama probably saw these images and now wants Gaddafi to make them stop.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by Schaden

Although I highly doubt Obama would do that, since it would be against International law. You're not supposed to directly target foreign heads of state.

And since when the US government cares about violations of international law? They only care about it when it's time to do things to help people or what?

Ignore international law to torture people, it's alright. Ignoring international law to save thousands of people is bad on the other hand right? This is sick. The guy ain't a head of state, he's a war criminal. Take him out.

I implied Obama cares about International law. Is that really in dispute ? He didn't order the torture. And Gadaffi absolutely is a head of state, whether you like it or not. I think to speculate Obama would order Gaddafi taken out is pure fantasy. The question is would he do it, not if he should do it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I implied Obama cares about International law. Is that really in dispute ? He didn't order the torture.

He didn't order it, but it continues to this day. Same thing with rendition and the like.

Stupid laws like that protecting war criminals should not be obeyed. Protesting was once a crime, drinking alcohol was a crime, ect...

International should be that the minute one leader does a war crime, the UN puts a bounty on the head of the tyrant.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I haave no idea how sports go over in Lybia or what forms of competition are considered entertaining.

But one must feel some sorrow for the young Lybian who was in training to become a pro mixed martial artist. That sport is loaded with violence.
Now young Lybian grapplers will most likely have to sell there gloves, tights, and training bags...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
We're really seeing how the world loves Obama today.

I can see why the world loved him. The world saw in Obama what a majority of American voters didn't.

ONE BIG PUSHOVER! I say this in the most politest way I can possibly imagine myself doing. Obama is a bigger joke in the world's eyes than what Clinton was; and that's a monumental achievement.

Khadaffy listen to Obama?
He didn't even listen to President Reagan and President Reagan put a missile into his living room killing one of his sons.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Why would Obama take action? Half of the people on here are crying oil already. Anytime we deploy any troops, its so the US can secure oil....no wonder he doesn't want to intervene....give the american people another excuse to cry oil?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
When I saw the press conference today and heard Obama's response to Gaddafi's brutal retaliation toward his people, I knew at that moment that we had made a deal with the devil. This brutal, certifiably insane dictator, made a bargain with the U.S. after we invaded Iraq. We suddenly became friendly with the man who personally ordered the Lockerbie bombing which resulted in the murder of many Americans. Bush forgave him of these atrocities and welcomed him back into the circle. We have indulged him and coddled him ever since. We have blood on our hands which makes us complicit in Gaddafi's mistreatment of his own people.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Sounds like hes biding his, and his countries time. It will all be over but the crying before they even consider taking action.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger

Sounds like hes biding his, and his countries time. It will all be over but the crying before they even consider taking action.

We share the same observation that Obama is biding his time. I believe that first and foremost we must safely get all foreign citizens out of Libya before taking action. I believe that Gaddafi and his sons will be eliminated by someone within his own tribe or regime.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Don't know if this will happen but i'm seeing a opportunity for Obama to vindicate himself . Many people and not just America believe that he's sucking up to muslim countries while giving traditional allys including Israel the backhand . Many of the muslim countries and administrations have been of great help to the USA but Gadaffi is an outcast because he has always been a terrorist so if there was a military action Obama would look like a strong leader and even though Libya is muslim , even the muslims in Libya want Gadaffi gone . Here's one muslim leader that no one will miss , Obama gets stature and he continues to suck up to the Muslim Brotherhood . There is a carrier battle group not far from Libya right now and that's all that's required to take the Libya air force out and most ground forces along with many strategic sites with the possibility of getting Gadaffi , all without harming civilians with precision guided munitions for ground attack . No downside , if Obama is looking at his political future . The only downside is Libyas' oil customers with Italy being the largest if the oil infrastructure is hit and there is no reason why it would be . Possibly a special operations raid to take Gadaffi into custody , but i don't that . I'd say there is a 50/50 chance of an air strike because sooner of later Obama is going to have to show that he isn't so weak and no better place right now than Libya .

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden
Although I highly doubt Obama would do that, since it would be against International law. You're not supposed to directly target foreign heads of state. If he doesn't go into exile, I think they'll just try and isolate Libya diplomatically.

It didn't stop the US in 1986 (I think) when they bombed his palace and killed his little girl. Nor did it stop them trying to take out Milosovic or Saddam. Not that am I saying it's a bad thing, but just pointing out that the US can and will attempt assasinations when it suits them.

Also, Gaddafi isn't technically anything in Libya. He is "Leader of the Revolution" but doesn't hold any "official" role as Head of State. It's one of the reasons cited by him as to why he won't stand down, he has nothing to stand down from!

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
Exactly. Get some arab allies like Egypt or Jordan or Kuwait to slap an Arab face on it, and send in the carriers and landing ships. Protect the people there by wiping out all loyalist forces. The Libyan military is about worthless, only good against unarmed civis

Apparently, Gaddafi has never trusted the Army and it is deliberately small (only 40k strong) and poorly equipped. For the most part, his regime appears propped up by "Revolutionary Commitees" set up by him years ago who control the "Peoples Militia" (hired thugs) and reams of Sub-Saharan African mercenaries who's loyalty is "unquestioned". It is these groups who have been attacking the population, not the Army which has largely sided with the rebels.

Obama's an idiot...sanction what? They have nothing more to lose, what resources do they plan on sanctioning and by who?

They are the world's 8th largest Oil + Gas exporter. Not sure if you knew that.

Does he have UN approval to sanction Lybia?....NO

Doesn't need UN approval for unilaterla sanctions, although UN approval is likely to be given if this continues. Even Russia and China have been pretty vocal against the violence there.

What he's really saying is he wants to punish the people of Lybia if Gaddafi doesn't step down. A sole US sanction isn't going to make any impact or resolution of the situation at hand but one lazer guided missle would. Cost...a blue light special, result a country of happy campers

The EU (Libya's single largest trading partner by far) is already discussing measures against Libya, so it wouldn't be the US going alone. Any EU sanctions, including asset freezing, would quickly kill the Libyan economy and Gaddafi's ability to pay his legions of mercs. We'll see how loyal there are when they're not being paid, huh?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Caji316
The only difference in Barry Sotoro and G.W. Bush is the color of their skin...Nothing Else....

well not quite,
Barry's breath is waaaayyyy worse.
Must be the cigs

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by bandito
There is a carrier battle group not far from Libya right now and that's all that's required to take the Libya air force out and most ground forces along with many strategic sites with the possibility of getting Gadaffi , all without harming civilians with precision guided munitions for ground attack .

I would like to go on the record and say
IMO, this is waaay overkill and completely
unnecessary. There are plenty of options
on the table without an aerial assault.
Remember, those Libyan fighter jets are
just following orders or their families may be
murdered, for the most part, they are innocent.
Kadaffi is the b@stard here.

A SEAL Team to confirm and paint the target
by visual means and a cruise missile like used
on Slobodan Milosevic is all that is necessary.

There are SEAL Teams in the Med right now.
And if their sniper has a bead on Kadaffi on the
balcony of his Villa, send him a lil lead compliments
of the US Navy
And save the money on the cruise
missile. This method was attempted by SEALS in Iraq
trying to paint Saddam, but Saddam had body doubles
which the SEALS could not get positive ID.
Kadaffi does not use doubles

And to be quite honest, there may be US Navy Seal
boots on the ground in Libya as I type. I wouldn't
be surprised.
edit on 2/24/2011 by boondock-saint because: spelling

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join