It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name of an Accused Minor Leaked Through Social Websites [BC, Canada]

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
reply to post by GAOTU789

It would have been more acceptable if after the case was settled for the parties to be named, and not beforehand. Unfortunately with websites like Facebook I could see the potential of a trend.

Why? His name is only hidden because he was 17.. Had he been 27 it would be out there,hell had he been 18...

*IF* he is found responsible, I would have no trouble ending his useless life. 1 year after being hidden by the pathetic and redundant laws that protect a criminal under the age of 18.

hes scum.

edit on 25/2/2011 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Me too. My aunt and uncle live in the neighbourhood and know the parents.

The attack caused a large ripple effect in the community. I hope they put him in adult prison, he'll get what he deserves.

edit on 25-2-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
its not about pity, or that it happens to others, its that it should be allowed to happen to anyone, and we have got complacent in policing it.

our lynch mob mentality is at work here.

imagine its you in thier place. forget about if they did the crime or didnt. irrelevant until the courts decide.

would you want a fair trial?

doesnt he then deserve one?

Definitely! We have name suppression laws here in NZ, and there is a vastly overweight right-wing blogger with mental health issues, who delights in breaching suppression orders and has been prosecuted many times. I am interested - there are obviously name suppression laws in Canada, but do they exist in the USA?
I would be amazed if they do.
Vicky

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789
reply to post by LadySkadi

Wasn't commenting on that aspect of it. As matter of fact I agree they should be able to be named. But as the law stands now in Canada, they can not be. That's all I was pointing out.

Your being a moderator doesn't stop you being wrong in this instance as I believe you are. The OP has pointed out the reason for name suppression laws - so the accused can have a fair trial. If his jury came from ATsers, he'd be toast - what a bunch of Hanging Judges the people in this thread are!
Suppose for a moment, and don't nut off at me - it was your son in this position? You'd want a fair trial wouldn't you?
Thank God it's not the 1870s, you can't just string people up from the nearest branch cause you don't like the look of him, or his race, or his smell - or because you've already heard rumours about his badness...
I thought Canadians were supposed to be more civilised than their neighbours to the south? Sadly, apparently not.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

No, not all Canadians are peaceful. Many of us want the Prime Minister to bring the death penalty onto the table for discussion.

If found guilty the accused is looking at 7 years. 7 Years.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

reply to post by Vicky32

No, not all Canadians are peaceful. Many of us want the Prime Minister to bring the death penalty onto the table for discussion.

If found guilty the accused is looking at 7 years. 7 Years.

Good heavens, tell me you're kidding! There are crazies there who want to bring the death penalty into law? How is that even possible?
Do you guys not even know the whole innocent until proven guilty thing? Maybe, just maybe this guy didn't actually kill the girl?
Even if he did, at 17 he could still be redeemed.
BTW, to an earlier poster, you say "what a tragedy, she was pretty too". Would it be less of a tragedy if she was ugly? Just asking.
V.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

I don't appreciate being called crazy for supporing a stricter judicial system. I want the opportunity to vote or at least for it to be discussed.

Sorry, but I also don't think people can be rehabilitated. At least not everyone and even less this particular offender. He's implicated in 2 other attacks in the same park same MO with a baseball bat.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

reply to post by Vicky32

I don't appreciate being called crazy for supporing a stricter judicial system. I want the opportunity to vote or at least for it to be discussed.

Sorry, but I also don't think people can be rehabilitated. At least not everyone and even less this particular offender. He's implicated in 2 other attacks in the same park same MO with a baseball bat.

I didn't know you were one of the supporters of judicial murder! Sorry, I thought you were as horrified as I am by them.
It stands to reason that if you are a thorough-going fatalist and believe no one can be redeemed, you'd go right for slaughtering people.
Go for it! You're as irredeemable as they are.
Get my point yet?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32
Your being a moderator doesn't stop you being wrong in this instance as I believe you are. The OP has pointed out the reason for name suppression laws

You may believe I am wrong but I am not. That sounds good but it has nothing what so ever to do with it.

I posted a link to the law in this thread. It isn't about fair trails or public perception. It is about protecting the identity of a minor because when they turn 18, even if convicted of this crime as a minor, their record will be wiped clean and the judicial system doesn't want the names in the public so that there is no bias later in life.

That's right. If this person is found guilty of this crime as a minor and goes to jail, there will be no record of it when he gets out.

At least have the facts before you start twisting them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join