It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name of an Accused Minor Leaked Through Social Websites [BC, Canada]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
First and Foremost: DO NOT POST THE NAME OF THE ACCUSED. IT IS NOT THE POINT OF THIS THREAD. I will ask the Moderators to remove or close down the thread if people do.

In September a 15 year - old girl was brutally bludgeoned to death with a baseball bat in a public park while waiting to meet up with her friends. There were no witnesses and the police had no persons of interest.

Four months later the Delta Police have released this statement that they have a suspect in custody.

The suspect was 17 at the time of the crime and was 18 at the time of the arrest. Under the Canadian Criminal Code his name cannot be released to the public. However, members of the public have recognize the blurred photograph of the accused shown on the news and have gone on to Facebook, MySpace, and message boards posting his name. Police are warning the public against spreading it further and the courts are willing to charge people with contempt.

Any thoughts or comments on this?
edit on 23-2-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2011 by Dendro because: posted too fast

edit on 23-2-2011 by Dendro because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It never says his name? lol.

What is his name, if anyone can find it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Skate

The Police never released his name. The news used a photograph from the accused's Facebook profile and blurred his face but people recognized it and began to post it. Now his Facebook profile has been removed and the courts are warning against people continuing to do so.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
He commited an adult crime..............
I don't see the problem.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I don't see the problem.

the problem is if everyone knows his name, and the crime he is being tried of in the media, he will never get an actual trial as they wont be able to fin d a jury who hasn't already made up their mind.

the rule of law was set up to ensure we get a fair trial.

if you had been accused of a crime, and everyone had already decided you were guilty on tv, would you be happy to let those same TV watching sheep decide your fate?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

With everybody in everybody else's business on social networks why would he get privacy? In high school if someone got arrested, wouldn't everyone know about it anyway?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
To charge someone for revealing someone is...how they say...against freedom of speech?

It's a shame to see this in my country. Both the boy who did this and the act's against people who are willing to reveal who he is.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I don't see the problem.

the problem is if everyone knows his name, and the crime he is being tried of in the media, he will never get an actual trial as they wont be able to fin d a jury who hasn't already made up their mind.

the rule of law was set up to ensure we get a fair trial.

if you had been accused of a crime, and everyone had already decided you were guilty on tv, would you be happy to let those same TV watching sheep decide your fate?

Doesn't this happen to high-profile adult defendants all the time?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

You're absolutely right, when something happens in high school it spreads faster than a wildfire. It was going to get through the grapevine quickly but this is one of the first cases I've ever heard of where Facebook was used to circumvent a law like this.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

Its not hard to go online and search for his name, its already out, its too late now. And rightfully so!

By age 17 you know the difference between right and wrong. End of story.

-Lightrule

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Lightrule

I'm not trying to stop people from doing the search themselves if they want to. I'm just asking that people not actually post his name on his board for the board and poster's protection. I went hunting for his name too as soon as I heard. But I also thought that this would be an interesting topic to discuss from different perspectives.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Happens to folks all of the time, rich, famous, politicians, notoriously evil crimes.............it happens, he ain't special, so, no pity from me.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
its not about pity, or that it happens to others, its that it should be allowed to happen to anyone, and we have got complacent in policing it.

our lynch mob mentality is at work here.

imagine its you in thier place. forget about if they did the crime or didnt. irrelevant until the courts decide.

would you want a fair trial?

doesnt he then deserve one?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

If he can't get a fair trial then that's a problem with society as a whole...however, commiting murder is kind of serious, no? We had a pos 16 year old here shoot a cop 4 times and kill him night before last......guess what, his name and picture are all over t.v. and the papers...no difference.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It's got nothing to do with the crime he commited and every thing to do with the laws in Canada, which some of you aren't aware of obviously.

You can't publish the name of a minor that committed acrime in Canada. It's in the Youth Criminal Justice Act, the laws that govern crimes comitted by minors, or as I like to call it, the Hug A Thug Act. It's outdated and in desperate need of updating overhauling but as it stands right now, that's the laws that covers minors(anyone under the age of 18 when they commit the crime)

Protection of Privacy of Young
Persons

Identity of offender not to be published
110 (1) Subject to this section, no person shall publish
the name of a young person, or any other information related
to a young person, if it would identify the young
person as a young person dealt with under this Act.

That's the way it is in Canada. Bash it all ya want, and I for the most part agree with ya but at least know the facts before you start the bashing.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Kids a P.O.S hope he gets tried as an adult and gets whats coming too him, we may have prisons that are not as bad as other places. But I don't know one place on earth where anyone stands for a guy like that to live the good life locked up.... My personal wish is her father gets even two seconds with the P.O.S and justice is finally done. Cause I sure as hell know the justice system here in Canada is a complete joke. And personally if I knew his name I would post it all over my facebook so the public is aware to wreck that lil f***. So sick of criminals here in BC getting treated with respect, bring back the death penalty execute the Bacon brothers and this little puke the is no rehabilitation for sick f**** like them only a final solution. So effin pissed off these days by all these GD people making our little piece of the world such a gang plagued hell hole full of little s**** taking over for the big s**** that mentored them. In fact lock up this kids parents too cause there more then likely just as f****d. Rant over nuff said expose this prick to the world let him pay for what he has done......

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Can't stop the social media network - the name was always going to get out, regardless of law.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
What an absolute tragedy... she was very pretty too...

His name is not hard to find, and if you ask me, he should be named, he's only NOT being named because he was 17 at the time, not because it may prejudice the trial.

The scumbag had allegedly also attacked a number of other young girls in the park, by hitting them in the back of the head in previous months, but they managed to get away.

Laura was not so lucky.

Hope he rots in prison, or that the Hells Angels that attended her funeral give him some real justice...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Wasn't commenting on that aspect of it. As matter of fact I agree they should be able to be named. But as the law stands now in Canada, they can not be. That's all I was pointing out.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

It would have been more acceptable if after the case was settled for the parties to be named, and not beforehand. Unfortunately with websites like Facebook I could see the potential of a trend.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join