It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Drops Legal Defense of 'Marriage Act'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

President Obama has instructed the Justice Department to stop defending the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act, which has since 1996 banned federal recognition of same-sex unions.

The announcement was made in a letter from Attorney General Eric Holder to congressional leaders in relation to two lawsuits, Pedersen v. OPM and Windsor v. United States, which challenge a section of DOMA that defines marriage for federal purposes as only between one man and one woman.

Obama "has made the determination," Holder wrote, that Section 3 "as applied to same-sex couples who are legally married under state law, violates the equal protection component of the Fifth Amendment."

Holder wrote that the president has instructed government lawyers to no longer defend the law in those two lawsuits.

Source

Remember Sodom and Gomorrah? Here it is for a refresher Link

God's going to rain down judgement on this nation. Christ said it would be like the day's of Noah when the time is for him to return, unrighteousness will not be tolerated by God much longer.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Wait, don't you know the story? I'm sure if you did, you would understand why what you said is so infuriating to someone that actually knows the story.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
i tried to read the link but my computer wouldnt load it for some reason? from the blurb does this mean that gay people can marry on a federal level or is this about getting your significant other to testify against u?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I'm glad gays being married ar more important than anything else happening in the world to Obama............
I guess his priorities are still to pay off those who got him elected, rather than actually doing his job...........unless idiocy like this is his job.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
How sweet ,can anyone else see Obama skipping hand and hand with his true love Rahm anytime soon.Que the violins .Guess it will offer them immunity in court for their crimes

top topics

join