It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milk from cloned cows given green light by Defra

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Milk from cloned cows given green light by Defra

www.telegraph.co.uk

Milk and meat from the offspring of cloned animals should be allowed to go on sale, according to a government minister.

The comments are the clearest sign that the Government will give the official green light to farmers and food companies who want to supply butchers and supermarkets with the controversial products.

However, animal welfare campaigners said they were "utterly dismayed" by the ministerial statement, saying it opened the door to widespread cloning, with consumers unable to tell whether they were eating meat originating a cloned animal or not.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

He added: "For the future, the Government shares the Commission's view that there should be no restrictions on the use of offspring of cloned animals."

And the destruction of our food supply continues... and by food supply, I mean healthy food, turning it into Frankenstein food.

And of course, there's no real study to show how safe this whole thing is, and of course they'll tell you it's all safe... When we know what else they said was safe earlier and ended up killing tens of thousands of people later.

GMO crops isn't enough for them, now it's time for cloned meat and cloned milk... Doesn't matter that we actually produce MORE milk than is needed, and MORE food that is needed... and we throw more than we eat away... eh, let's bring in cloned meat!

Yeah, that'll TOTALLY won't lead to new diseases...

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-2-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I swear, it seems like tptb are reading from an evil-doers playbook lately. the world is like a bad movie nowadays. unless you have your own farm, what can you do really?? they view us as mere grunts and want us to eat thier slop.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Please try to understand there is a big difference between cloned and genetically modified.
I agree with you that GMO food can be unsafe for human consumption.
But the dangers of cloning livestock are different from the genetically modified livestock.
The real danger in cloning is that we generate a whole bunch of animals with the same DNA.If a virus comes a long that can kill one animal all it's clones will also die. That in turn would mean no more food.
Cloning is bad it destroys genetic diversity.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this! I had a feeling it was coming but I never knew it was this close. I don't know the science behind it, but I do know it just doesn't seem natural. What ever happened to a natural food chain? It was bad enough that all our veggies are designed in a laboratory, but our dairy too? I wish I wasn't raised a city boy and knew how to live off the land. I guess it is never too late to learn. I should start soon because there is no way I will ever willingly drink milk from a cloned cow, or eat any cloned meat!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I'm so glad I have my own milk cow. It is against the law for me to sell my unprocessed milk. I would be a criminal if I sold my untainted milk. I just give away the excess and have met some awesome people in the process.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Ugh.. Sounds repugnant.. How the hell they expect people to eat that stuff ? Between chemicals, genetic modification and now cloning.. Is there any real food left in western countries ?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by HEroX

The othe rissue with cloned meat has to do with duplication errors as those appear from time to time and may lead to health risks for consumer but know one knows as there has been very little research by anyone on it. Usually it just kills the animal though.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I could not agree with you more on this particular topic and it concerns me greatly. In the state that I live in a person cannot purchase raw milk from a dairy farmer directly, not even from a farmers market. This includes from the Amish groups in the area who I would trust implicitly over the hormone ladden milk from the market.

We hear it all the time how that GMO grains are just chocked full of nasties that can harm the human race which includes some of the GMO grains being grown that by way of their 'inception' have the ability to act as a road to human sterilization, which just makes me sick.

But the third generation showed serious ill effects and turned out to be completely sterile.
Sourced Article

As it pertains to cloned cattle being given the all clear for entering the human food chain I have serious reservations. I just don't understand why we feel the need to play "God" if you will, we just don't seem to care anymore about the possible consequences of our actions. I for one will continue to encourage people, if at all possible, get to know your local farmers, their practices and procedures and to buy from them. At least that way you have a little more control over what you put in your body,

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I don't understand the point. Why would dairy farmers even want to pursue this? Cloning is a very complicated and expensive procedure. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler and cheaper to raise your dairy cattle the "old-fashioned" way?
edit on 23-2-2011 by LS650 because: .

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

I didn't know about those duplication errors. But i'm allways glad to learn new things. But it figures nothing works 100% of the time. And in most cases that is acceptable. But in this case that small chance of errors may be too much.
I think it's bad enough that it kills the animal .

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I don't get it - if a cloned cow is genetically the same as a 'normal' cow, then the cloned milk will be the same as normal milk right?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Yeah that's it. People here are just ill informed, they think "TPTB" are running everything.

This is great, how do you people not see this? We can have infinite food supply by cloning, cloning doesn't make things less nutritious, the stuff they eat do. I live in a farm town, i can tell you straight up the grains people buy not these big farms are made by 9 month old dry corn, filled with maggots and other gross stuff.

Its the food, not the clone.

If the human race plans to survive we need stuff like this, don't be afraid of advancing.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
There is more council in food administration than anything else...
If they say it's safe in Canada, damnit I'll eat it.

Call me a clone.

/yesiunderstandanyoftheseeffectsmaytakedecadestobecomeawareofandnotnecessarilyabletofindissuesintheshortterm.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

I don't get it - if a cloned cow is genetically the same as a 'normal' cow, then the cloned milk will be the same as normal milk right?

Not exactly, it has to do with the reproduction process. Dolly the sheep and many other clones have suffered from significant age related problems. I am not sure if they have worked these out yet. I can see there are benefits with all this GM and clone stuff, but it is really complex with many interactions. Putting this stuff on the market before it has been fully understood and proven safe is a disaster waiting to happen.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Indeed and I find it most amusing that the same people are against genetic engineering and what have you, despit ethe fact that the process of domestication of all animals has led to a very limited gene pool and types of animal not found in the wild with "desirable traits" such as more milk production or better wool, namely genetic modification. It has been going on for thousands of years, why start caring about it now?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
be proud, we are continuing the work our gods left behind.
genetically modifying the lower forms of life.
heck, at least we're making them so we can eat them.
but let's hope we don't make them too smart to the point where they will start eating us.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by doom27

Indeed and I find it most amusing that the same people are against genetic engineering and what have you, despit ethe fact that the process of domestication of all animals has led to a very limited gene pool and types of animal not found in the wild with "desirable traits" such as more milk production or better wool, namely genetic modification. It has been going on for thousands of years, why start caring about it now?

Genetic modification is not the same thing as selective breeding. With GMOs, genes can be inserted in an organism that would never be possible to achieve through traditional means.

You want Spider genes in your goats? No problemo. Animal genes in your plants? Already done. Food that sterilizes the consumer's descendants? It's probably for the best anyway.

top topics

join