It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

obama declares section 3 of the defense of marriage act unconstitutional

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
My straw hat started to smolder when I read this news! Why must the courts try to legislate, and the president try to be Supreme Court Justice?

Everybody needs to re-read their job discriptions, and quit over-reaching their authority!

Next, Barry will declare my horse and buggy unconstitutional, and make me wear buttons!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

Yea I see what you are saying there. Sorry I am a bit riled on that whole thing still because people keep acting like the US should just step in and do something and I'm thinking we can't just force our views on the whole world. I mean we could but eventually people get tired of it. I think America spends to much time butting into everyone else's business and not enough worrying about the problems at home.

More then anything wanted you to know that I didn't mean to come across as snappy towards you.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
All hail king Obama!!
What does he think gives him the right to override and undermine congress?
Seriously, this subject does need to be addressed, but it needs to be done in the correct way. If he is allowed to do this, unquestioned, it will open the door for him to reign supreme.
I believe that's why this topic was chosen, they know that it is something many want. So if we let it slip by it will be much easier the next time it's done, which will probably be something we're not so excited about.
He spoke out against gay marriage before, why the change of heart now? Answer: POWER

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium
All hail king Obama!!
What does he think gives him the right to override and undermine congress?

Could someone - - anyone - - back up their rants with actual facts?

I am so sick of the Obama bashing - - - with no real information or facts.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Which part do you need backed up?
The part where he is trying to override a bill passed by congress and signed into law by another president or the part where he is overstepping his bounds.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
That would be a correct statement from Mr. President. This is due to the association of marriage and taxes. One mans tax breaks should not lawfully be afforded by sexuality. If and when marriage is dissociated with government then religious zealots can define it how ever they wish. This current situation is drive by the separation of church and state. Just because government borrowed the term "marriage" does not mean that it has to abide by religious laws of marriage. Unless the government abolishes all marriage as legal and everyone has to join a commonwealth partnership then anyone should be afforded the right to legally marry under the term "marriage".

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
LOL

Doesnt anyone get a little concernd that basicaly as a president all he can do is over turn some rulings about gay marriage?

I mean, lets say he were to say the Patriot Act is unconstitutional and he is closing Gitmo.

Ohhhhh sure Mr,President!, thats thuuuuper!, now why dont you just get in here......Why yes! Mr.President, that is a convertible, nice dont you think!......say what?, a book depository??, are you sure Mr,President?, well i dont know about that -

BANG......BANG BANG!

Shot three times with the one bullet.

THATS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN AND THATS HOW IT IS.

But its fine, Obama, as President has so much power[LOL] he can repeal obscure legal classifications about gays. Awesome. GO OBAMA WOOOP WOOOP YOU DA MAN!!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze
LOL

Doesnt anyone get a little concernd that basicaly as a president all he can do is over turn some rulings about gay marriage?

I am more worried by the fact that as president he THINKS he can overturn a LAW about gay marriage. There are "checks and balances" for a reason.

I mean, lets say he were to say the Patriot Act is unconstitutional and he is closing Gitmo.

Ohhhhh sure Mr,President!, thats thuuuuper!, now why dont you just get in here......Why yes! Mr.President, that is a convertible, nice dont you think!......say what?, a book depository??, are you sure Mr,President?, well i dont know about that -

BANG......BANG BANG!

But its fine, Obama, as President has so much power[LOL] he can repeal obscure legal classifications about gays. Awesome. GO OBAMA WOOOP WOOOP YOU DA MAN!!!!

So I guess you think our current government got all of it's power through leaps and bounds? No my friend, they took it a little at a time, just as they are trying to do now. They do little things, that we let slip, which lead to bigger things.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
I find it hypocritical that he pushed for a severely unconstitutional Health Care system, now he's calling out other things as being unconstitutional. Not to derail the thread or anything, I just think that's a little funny.

"Severely unconstitutional" ?

By what standards?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart

Originally posted by bozzchem
reply to post by Whereweheaded

You are 1000% correct.

Unfortunately, the Constitution is seen as nothing more than a GD piece of paper by more than just the imbecile who is given credit for verbalizing how most of the criminals in DC actually feel.

like i said, obama's statement still carries almost no legal weight, he's just trying to look good without solving any problems or getting his hands dirty.

Can you clarify what you mean by 'get his hands dirty'?

In what specific legal fashion would you have proposed the potus go about this?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze
LOL

That isn't what occurred here at all.

BANG......BANG BANG!

I think I lost your point, there. Can you clarify?

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by inkyminds

Originally posted by bozzchem
reply to post by Whereweheaded

You are 1000% correct.

Unfortunately, the Constitution is seen as nothing more than a GD piece of paper by more than just the imbecile who is given credit for verbalizing how most of the criminals in DC actually feel.

like i said, obama's statement still carries almost no legal weight, he's just trying to look good without solving any problems or getting his hands dirty.

Can you clarify what you mean by 'get his hands dirty'?

In what specific legal fashion would you have proposed the potus go about this?

by get his hands dirty i meant take up a public stance and defend it, i didn't mean in a legal way. but i said it because the litigators who are handling marriages are actually recognizing and embracing his statement and plan to continue on as if what he said did carry force, while other litigators, as the article said, can choose not to. like i said, there could still be a press report on it though, so i can't say for sure. what he's doing here is really shortsighted, maybe even passive. it just looks good, without doing anything of substance or that could stir inertia for what is obviously unconstitutional. i mean, how can you even think for one second that it's constitutional that only men and women could be wed, you know? it's 2011, jetuth chrith.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Not to avoid the topic, but I would rather address his motives and timing on this unexpected announcement. I was a little shocked and confused (along with thousands of Libyan's being massacred in their streets) as to why he would devote more air time to this issue and allow just a few minutes to Libya's crisis. The people of Libya openly voiced their disappointment in Obama's response or lack of. I don't know. It just seems out of place. Seems more like a diversion or a curve ball. This could have waited until next week to announce at a press conference. It was not a huge revelation because we already knew where he stood on this issue and he is quite passionate about it.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Erica1631
Not to avoid the topic, but I would rather address his motives and timing on this unexpected announcement. I was a little shocked and confused (along with thousands of Libyan's being massacred in their streets) as to why he would devote more air time to this issue and allow just a few minutes to Libya's crisis. The people of Libya openly voiced their disappointment in Obama's response or lack of. I don't know. It just seems out of place. Seems more like a diversion or a curve ball. This could have waited until next week to announce at a press conference. It was not a huge revelation because we already knew where he stood on this issue and he is quite passionate about it.

well frankly, i don't give two s# about what libya is doing, i care about what america is doing. until america is all together and doing ok, then we can worry about other countries. besides, when you ahve someone who will kill his own people, ignore them, and tell them that he'd have to die as a martyr before he stepped down, then a revolution is what you get, i'm sorry, but that's pretty much the perfect formula to start a revolution in your country (and commit suicide).

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

well frankly, i don't give two s# about what libya is doing, i care about what america is doing. until america is all together and doing ok, then we can worry about other countries. besides, when you ahve someone who will kill his own people, ignore them, and tell them that he'd have to die as a martyr before he stepped down, then a revolution is what you get, i'm sorry, but that's pretty much the perfect formula to start a revolution in your country (and commit suicide).

You better start giving a s# about Libya if you want to keep driving your vehicle in the future.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

You better start giving a s# about Libya if you want to keep driving your vehicle in the future.

don't own one, and america has oil, we just refuse to use it because the oil companies make so much more profits importing.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Obama and Eric Holder said that the DOJ is no longer enforcing this section of the law. Nobody is overstepping any boundaries. Reading comprehension is lost on this forum...

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Throwback
Obama and Eric Holder said that the DOJ is no longer enforcing this section of the law. Nobody is overstepping any boundaries. Reading comprehension is lost on this forum...

Are you dense? Read what you just wrote!

Mr. Obama decreed that the DOJ was to no longer enforce section three of this law. He is not a king. This is not a dictatorship. He has no right to say what part of a law is to be enforced and which is not!
This started as a bill, went through and passed both houses of congress, and was signed into law by the President of the United States in 1996.
By making his decree, Mr. Obama has thrown all of the checks and balances out of the proverbial window and declared that he knows better than All those others.
As I sald before :
ALL HAIL KING OBAMA!!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Gee Whizz Walley, I didn't realize that Holder and Obama had the authority to make constitutional declarations or to selectively ignore the law. Is this a little foreshadowing?? Did they let the cat out of the bag a little to early? Are they destined for a 30 year power reign in the US? Will they be the new unified voice of the entire planet?? Stay tuned...

Holder has done a great job driving the DOJ into the ground under his watch. I guess this issue is more important than cases involving violent voter intimidation and the ridiculous treatment/acquittal t of terrorists in our civilian court system.

I get it now...they are simply pandering to gain voter stronghold in 2012. Do what you can Obama and Holder. Perhaps you can release a swimsuit calendar featuring the both of you and Rahm.

Keep up the good work. The nation is on to you Obama and your tumbling poll numbers should remind you of that again.
edit on 24-2-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I am so sick of the Obama bashing - - - with no real information or facts.

It has nothing to do with Obama. The Executive Branch does not have the power to declare a law unconstitutional. The Judicial Branch does have this authority though.

Please at least study the basics of American Government. Look up Checks and Balances.

And the main kicker here is, that we are suppose to uphold the "separation of church and state".

The Government has NO PLACE in handing out marriage licences! Marriage is a RELIGIOUS endeavor. Let's get it the hell out of the government!

If you want freedom for gay couples, let's get the government out of our business! This is the true solution.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join