It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do You Still Believe in 2012?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Worried about the Mayan Calendar coming to and end? You shouldn't be! Here is a quote directy from NASA's own Website (www.nasa.gov...):

"Just as the calendar you have on your kitchen wall does not cease to exist after December 31, the Mayan calendar does not cease to exist on December 21, 2012. This date is the end of the Mayan long-count period but then -- just as your calendar begins again on January 1 -- another long-count period begins for the Mayan calendar."

What about that Brown Dwarf star I read about in all the whacked out nut-job's Websites? The theoretical object, which has yet be proven, is estimated to be four times the size of Jupiter and could be at the outer reaches of the solar system. It is a harmless object that will cause us no harm at all. Even if it were a real thing the distance between this imaginary object and the Earth is so great you will likely not see it come anywhere near Earth in your lifetime.

The world as we know it will not come to an end, a brown dwarf star will not wreak havoc on the Earth. Period. 2012 will come and go just as any other year. If you believe otherwise you seriously need to learn something called the scientific method.

Here is a little Wiki link for you:
en.wikipedia.org...

So why do you believe? Why do you focus on this negative fantasy? Why not spend your time and effort focusing on something positive and grounded in actual reality? Go enjoy life, spend time with friends and family, volunteer to help the homeless! Anything but worry over superstitious silliness.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
but human alien says google is hiding nibiru! and we are all going to die! oh who to believe who to believe
edit on 23-2-2011 by crimsonninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
In fairness I think most people realise the world will most likely still be here in 2012. Just about everyone knows the Mayans never said this, however their is still hope that we can all live in a better new world. As long as theirs hope thats enough for me!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Tangled2011

Oh. The whole conscience shifting nonsense. Yeah... unfortunately science can't prove or disprove that, but think about it for a second. Does it actually make sense that humanity will suddenly change? And not just undergo a small change, but an entire reversal of morals, ethics, standards, personality, etc..

I'm all for ending war, violence, crime, greed, and so on but our problems can likely not be suddenly fixed by some fantastic and quick change of "mind." I just don't see it happening. Again, I'd like it to be so... I just don't see it as a possibility. I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Because John Cusack has never lied to me before.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Entertainment.

I always enjoy watching threads pop up like the whole Sweaty Dave scandal. It's refreshing to see people use their imaginations with what little bit of information they're given. Creativity is beautiful and even if they[myself included sometimes] aren't always correct about what is taking place, it's still nice to see the people come together and share ideas.

And that's why I come here. If the world is going to end, "Que Será, Será."
edit on 2/23/2011 by WraithXV because: Seplling... haha ;-)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
2012 really doesn't worry me a bit...I'm more of a "golden age" believer than a "global catastrophe" believer. But really...what has me imminently more concerned is what's going on in our world right now! We may not still be ridin' this rock by the time 12/21/2012 rolls around

edit on 23-2-2011 by HippyBlue because: typos

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I don't know what to believe anymore... But I do believe I could eat a double angus cheeseburger. But wait! is it real beef? I'm confused. Hopefully the truth to life will come to those who seek it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by aletheia

Oh. The whole conscience shifting nonsense. Yeah... unfortunately science can't prove or disprove that,

Im just being open minded, and like I say anything that gives me hope will keep me interested. I agree its a shame that so many people want a date to be forced into change, rather than being the change themselves.

But your comment above confuses me, is it really nonsense given the fact you say yourself that it can't be disproved?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Why does NASA feel they are qualified to comment on the Mayan calender. To make a statement that the calender ends on the 21st and begins on the 1st, pretty much negates any merit in the statement.

NASA has actively dismissed severals theories on numerous occasions. One instance being the statement that a magnetic reversal has no effect on the planet whatsoever. I put as much faith in the honesty of NASA as I put I'd put in a healthy salad from McDonalds.

You should also note that NASA still ACTIVELY pushes global warming propaganda on a daily basis. Not exactly people I'd listen to.
edit on 23-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by HippyBlue

That's true! We may not be here to see Dec. 21st, 2012. It's interesting how people like to latch onto a date when in reality this could all end tonight. How often do you hear NASA report near miss meteors after the fact? Seems to happen more and more often. Selecting random dates is just silly to me.

edit on 23-2-2011 by aletheia because: Fixed grammar.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Would you prefer the words of Mayan scholars? There is no prophecy attached to December 21, 2012. In fact there is only one mention to that date in the entire Classical Mayan period. Furthermore, there are no Long Count calendars that end after 13 baktun during this period. All of this stems from post-Columbian monuments.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
Why does NASA feel they are qualified to comment on the Mayan calender. To make a statement that the calender ends on the 21st and begins on the 1st, pretty much negates any merit in the statement.

NASA has actively dismissed severals theories on numerous occasions. One instance being the statement that a magnetic reversal has no effect on the planet whatsoever. I put as much faith in the honesty of NASA as I put I'd put in a healthy salad from McDonalds.

You should also note that NASA still ACTIVELY pushes global warming propaganda on a daily basis. Not exactly people I'd listen to.

LOT of assertions there little to no evidence global warming is a fact weather it's man made or not is up for debate but even then the evidence is in favour of humanity doing it.

Would you like to post links to sites that tell us that the mayans ACTUALLY said 2012 will be the doomsday or that they ACTUALLY said planet x/ nibiru existed.

I'm not even going to touch the magnetic reversal thing suffice to say even mixed around the earth's magnetic feild is much more complex but it's still there.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rationaluser

I never stated that 2012 is doomsday, I'm simply showing how little NASA is a reliable or truthful entity.

There is no global warming crisis, there never was. This is fact.

I find it more troubling that NASA is making a statement about the Mayan calender. Their motives in making a statement should trouble anyone.

NASA is also the crew who elevated the threat level of Apophis to the highest level ever recorded, and then overnight deleted the threat level. All the while hiring the private sector to design a craft with a sole purpose of tracking Apophis.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Do some research on this topic perhaps.

Yes, 2012 is the end date for the Mayan calender at which point it resets and starts over. The calendar is meant to track, for the Mayan's, a time of change. Too many focus on the world ending without realizing that it is actually 'the world as we know it'.

THINK for a minute...why do you create a calendar? Is it not possible that there is a recurring series of events that someone in history decided might be worth tracking? Given the Roman Catholic Church's willingness to destroy the historical records of the 'godless heathens' it encountered it is more then possible that the ancients left us a vast amount of information which has been systematically collected, hidden or just flat out destroyed.

We just got lucky and some of the Mayan histories/artifacts survived this policy and remained in the public eye.

Look around, in the last year NASA has stated that we may be part of a binary system, there may be an object out in the Oort cloud, there is a high possiblity that we will suffer catastrophic solar flares, there is a possible pole flip in progress, our solar system is approaching the galactic plane...

These are not ancient 'savages' or religious fanatics; this is current science using state-of-the-art tech discovering that there is something going on beyond 'Dancing with the Stars' new season.

Now look at what is going on here on Earth...Large numbers of volcanos returning to life across the global, earthquakes every where, storms are getting more severe (even worse then admitted since both hurricanes and earthquakes have had thier ranking system adjusted...under the original system we'd be seeing ALOT more Cat 5 hurricanes and mag 8-9 earthquakes being reported).

Now look at the calendar.

Check out Wikipeadia concerning natural disasters over the years as a starting point, you will see CLEARLY that every 3600ish years there are series of disasters that hit our world in rapid sequence.

According to some quick math, we are in the window now ( there is a discrpency of about 50 years; we are either 10 years into the window or 40 years before it...the fact that western calendars have changed so many times over the centuries/millenia makes it hard to accurately place where we are in the cycle. On the other hand, since most of the changes have made the calendars LONGER it is safe to assume that we ARE in the period now).

I started down the 2012 path decades ago because I wanted to see what believers were talking about.

What I have found shows me there is substantially more to this story then is being told. To find out info you have to look for it, and look hard. In the end any person with an open mind cannot hold any other opinion then MAYBE.

The problem is, in todays society of instant gratification, few people can be bothered spending hundreds of hours searching for clues or facts.

There are large numbers of both, if you look.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Blah Blah Blah End of World Blah Blah Blah Consciousness shift Blah blah blah New age.
Its all the same rubbish crock the crazies have been spewing out of their mouth for years now and I am getting tired of it.
This 2012 stuff is extremely cultish.
The "golden agers" are just as crazy as the doom mongers.

The only thing I look forward to in 2012 are the suicides the doomers will perform and the stupid look on everyone's face when the world continues to remain a #e place like its always been.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

Look around, in the last year NASA has stated that we may be part of a binary system, there may be an object out in the Oort cloud, there is a high possiblity that we will suffer catastrophic solar flares, there is a possible pole flip in progress, our solar system is approaching the galactic plane...

Actually the hypothesis that we are in a binary system started in the 80s and has lost support with each passing year. The probability of Tyche existing are very low and even if it does exist it would have no affect on Earth. Current estimates having the upcoming solar maximum being one of the least active we've had in a while. As of right now there is no indication that a geomagnetic pole reversal would have any real affect other than the need to buy a new compass. All estimates place us having crossed the galactic plane fairly recently, as in a couple million years ago, meaning there is still millions of years before we pass through it again. That is what science actually has to say on these topics.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rationaluser

Originally posted by Tephra

LOT of assertions there little to no evidence global warming is a fact weather it's man made or not is up for debate but even then the evidence is in favour of humanity doing it.

Would you like to post links to sites that tell us that the mayans ACTUALLY said 2012 will be the doomsday or that they ACTUALLY said planet x/ nibiru existed.

I'm not even going to touch the magnetic reversal thing suffice to say even mixed around the earth's magnetic feild is much more complex but it's still there.

Where's your evidence of a man-made global warming? It is not. Climate changes (not global warming) is related to bigger phenomenons, such as the natural cycle of the Earth, the Sun, the Heliosphere collapsing...Look at this

You are right, Nibiru and the Mayans aren't connected...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I call it nonsense for a reason. If such a change happened I'd decide not to follow... I'm all for love and peace. I treat my fellow man with respect... or as much as I can. I'm just on another path.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Sorry but that is not correct.

For 3 days last year NASA's web page ran a story about how most solar systems are binary so it was reasonable to assume that ours is too.

The story was COMPLETELY removed from their archives.

It's odd that you mention that the solar max is going to be weaker than thought, the last I checked on this the word from physicists and NASA scientists was that they had screwed up the math and things were going to actually be much worse then predicted.

Add to this the fact that there is a TREMENDOUS amount of money being spent to build or deploy planetary and orbital observatories to not just survey ONLY the southern hemisphere but in many cases to do so in spectra beyond visible light. The RCC is one such organization spending millions to study GOD's work in the universe, but only what HE did in the south.

Odd coincidence that there are histories from several cultures over time that talk about an object approaching from the south and causing global havoc.

What this all points out is the exact problem being encountered and why tedious research is required...for evey supporting fact there is also one that counters it. For every scientist that speaks out to say that there is something going on there is another to say that no, there is not.

Who's right? Can't say, but the good news is this actually is something that can be resolved by just waiting it out.

As I said in my original post, the best ANYONE can say is maybe/maybe not. Any arguement beyond that is pointless.
edit on 23-2-2011 by [davinci] because: Form & Content

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join