It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi king back home, orders $37 billion in handouts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Saudi king back home, orders $37 billion in handouts

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Saudi King Abdullah returned home on Wednesday after a three-month medical absence and unveiled benefits for Saudis worth some $37 billion in an apparent bid to insulate the world's top oil exporter from an Arab protest wave.

The king, who had been convalescing in Morocco after back surgery in New York in November, stood as he descended from the plane in a special lift. He then took to a wheelchair.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Heh-heh, alright fellow ATSers, what do you think about this one?

King Abdullah BUYING loyalty of the masses, to prevent an uprising?

Seems a smarter approach than the HOSTILITY and VIOLENCE some of the other dictators and regimes have unleashed upon their masses.

But do you think it will work? Is it enough to appease them from demanding his ouster as well? Or merely delaying the inevitable, in a long chain of dominoes toppling?

Let's hear it!

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
spend the money, then have a revolution

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I bet it works! People LOVE that money
Hopefully it's not too little or too late!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I think a quote from Pirate's of the Caribbean is more than necessary for this situation...

"Take what you can, give nothing back". Is that not how dictators work?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It could work if it actually gets into the hands of the people, unless it never shows up and is just talk. Or if someone if trying to stir the pot.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
paying the people off not to rebel. In the end the pig is still a pig.

A few weeks ago another ME country did this too, something like $3000 a person. It was in one of my threads. Maybe Dubai? Kuwait? I'll check.
edit on 2/23/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Mathematically speaken 5 miliones fammilies will get each 1500 $ ..... Bahrein king was more generous ...1800 euros each fammily

link   

Originally posted by jonskie
spend the money, then have a revolution

You take the money, then there is no need for a revolution because you have shown you can be bought even when you know you are under a dictatorship. I say the Saudi people reject the money and continue the rebel. It probably won't work but at least you've shown you have some values.

link   
I wonder how much that works out to per citizen...

Rest assured though, no amount of handouts will stop a revolution there - if TPTB want one, and it appears they want the entire ME in turmoil.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It's kept the US population at bay for a long time until you try and take it away like now.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I am sure that it was US advisor's the ones that recommended the Saudi king to do such a generous gesture after all it works wonders in the US after the bailout to the rich following the market crash.

Then he can squeeze the bejezus out of the population once things are more . . . let say "stabilized"

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If the people are happy there will be no revolution.If they have money to spend/pay bills etc they will be happy.As long as they can afford food they will be happy.If they see the king giving back to the people,they will be happy.
It will be interesting to see if the people STAY happy.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
its the same thing done here, we just call it unemployment benefits, social security etc

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Within the Arab League of Nations of which KSA is a part of, get this statistic. 65% of the population are males under 30! That means the remaining 35% are all females and males over 30. 65% of the population are fed up, can't get laid, many unemployed, broke and influenced by the MTV channels of this world. I worked in KSA 15 years ago and saw how the youth behaved and we worried it was ripe for an uprising even then. This is gonna spread and spread and KSA can get affected. Unemployment and job security is high in KSA, not like it was years ago when you had to employ the nationals to do nothing, these days there are no jobs period.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
With a population of 25.7-million, that works out to about $1,439.68 per person. That doesn't seem like much to me, at least not enough to buy my silence/obedience...or whatever the king thinks he is going to get out of this.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jonskie

corection :
spend the money on WEAPONS then have a revolution

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

Bingo!!!!!! that is why our corporate government can do anything it wants and we just don't dare to bite the hand that feed us.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Human freedom cannot be bought.

This 'generosity' should have been done decades ago, with political and social reforms for its citizens, to lead the nation out of its dependence on oil with its wealth, with education, healthcare, infrastructure and leading edge technologies.

SA would then have perhaps became a leading light in the evolution of mankind to the stars.

It too liltle....and too late....Time has come, more so with its excesses and lip service to religion that had been a sham with no reforms and only all outward stage shows by the elites.

Theocracy had failed in the hands of the greedy hypocrite despots and the time has come for pragmatic democracy where all humans will be truly equal at least free to pursue the common aspirations in life unhindered.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Here's the article on Kuwait.

Kuwait MPs pass $5 bln aid package for citizens

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join