It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya: 2,000 reported killed in Benghazi, 1,000 in Tripoli

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by leaualorin
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

yea right ....
the amazon girls...
come on , be serious!

Actually Gaddafi is heavily protected by his "Security Corps" (mixture of Libyan and non-Libyan mercenary thugs), as he doesn't trust his army.
edit on 23-2-2011 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It is likely to get much worse tomorrow, after Gaddafi has promised to strike back and attempt to regain a measure of control. I doubt that he will be particularly successful, and if success has to mean scores of deaths then he will soon find himself "in it". There should be far better coverage of the inevitable atrocities, many foreign news correspondents and others are now in major cities.

Thankfully, his military is suffering mass defections. As well as ground troops, there are reports of fighter pilots ejecting around the coast (some due to lack of fuel, though the loss of aircraft is a plus) and warships defecting in Malta. It appears that there are only 3 significant military bases left that are loyal to Gaddafi, two of those are in Tripoli itself and one in Sirt, Gaddafi’s birthplace.

It will be interesting to see how external involvement steps up in the coming days..

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BLKMJK

Same reason it wasn't on every news channel when millions were being genocided in Africa? Because it's the way we roll. If a country is of no "interest" (ahem) to us, we don't play.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by BLKMJK

Same reason it wasn't on every news channel when millions were being genocided in Africa? Because it's the way we roll. If a country is of no "interest" (ahem) to us, we don't play.

I am sickened that your comment is the obvious truth. Watching Hillary on CNN right now as she pussy foots around the subject is just laughable with her "diplomatic" diatribe. Gimme a break.
edit on 23-2-2011 by BLKMJK because: (SP)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Agreed, Jordan and Morocco should be removed from that list. They are constitutional monarchs with relatively little day to day political power (ie: like Western European monarchs). They are not an absolute monarchy like Saudi Arabia or a semi-constitutional monarchy like Bahrain.
edit on 23-2-2011 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

I get your poiint, but monarchs or not, they do have some power. And in the end, shouldn't the list consist of whoever the people in their own country are rebelling and protesting against? And not what we think it should consist of?

The people of both Jordan and Morocco are calling for reform. And it is their call in the end.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
These numbers don't add up.

I hope we can get some boots-to-the-ground reporting soon to get a real idea for what's going on.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

Remember that there is a large black contingent within the Libyan army. Very easy for people to assume they are hired guns from Africa.
edit on 23-2-2011 by LarryLove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLKMJK
How is this not on EVERY news channel? Egypt was covered 24hrs a day but when 3000 people from Libya are slaughtered we hear nothing about it on the major USA news stations. This is absolutely disgusting. I hope the Jerusalem Post is exaggerating. Obama needs to get his head out of his ass and condemn this atrocious behavior.

Egypt has always been much more open to Westerners so we had a lot of news reporting assets on the ground there. Libya is pretty closed off so there are very few, if any foreign journalists there and they certainly aren't letting any in at this point. It's hard to report on something 24/7 when you don't have cameras on the ground and people to report what's going on in-country.

Originally posted by clay2 baraka
Oddly enough, Assad of Syria is not on the list, yet the king of Jordan (a relatively benign ruler), is...

Agreed. The King of Jordan not even remotely brutal. Jordan is a constitutional monarchy. Yeah, executive power is vested in a hereditary king, which isn't such a great thing, but they allow political opposition in their legislature and there are apparently 30 active political parties there. Jordan is a pretty civilized place and they aren't oppressive to the people the way other countries in the region are. It needs to open up more, but I really don't think King Abdulla is an evil man.

Now, Syria... yeah, Assad far more deserves that spot on the poster.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisF231
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Agreed, Jordan and Morocco should be removed from that list. They are constitutional monarchs with relatively little day to day political power (ie: like Western European monarchs). They are not an absolute monarchy like Saudi Arabia or a semi-constitutional monarchy like Bahrain.
edit on 23-2-2011 by ChrisF231 because: (no reason given)

I'm not sure about how the Moroccan system works, but actually King Abdullah in Jordan does hold most of the reigns of control - it's just that the regime there has never been cruel to its own people, neither he nor his father before him. But the Jordanian King has all the powers of a President, including appointing all judges, but in addition to that he appoints all members of their Senate. Functionally, there aren't too many limitations on his power there.

If Abdullah was a different kind of man things could easily be very different there.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

I have a good friend in moracco that owns a hotel in one of the cities. He said last friday was insane and people came from the countryside and just started trashing everything, lighting cars on fire.

Now he said everything is back to normal pretty much and they are scratching their heads trying to figure out what happend. haha. He says that everyone kinda likes the King there.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
While I support freedom and democracy or a republican system of government, what I don't understand is why all of a sudden everyone is rising up to challenge the status quo in those countries. Something is definitely suspicious imo and I hope this "rise to democracy" is not really *a rise of the mullahs* iran/afghan style.

That would not be bad news just for israel but it would also be bad news for all christians. Christians and jews have grown accustomed to having the upper hand in international affairs so if we suddenly are faced with 20 irans that is really, really bad news......

For starters they could choke the oil supply and get even richer from selling oil and they can block the suez canal till they get the price they want. Choking supply means prices will potentially sky-rocket out-of-bounds and since the global economy is already in perpetual recession, it will pretty much guarantee a global depression.

There needs to be checks and balances somehow so that the ignorant religious fanatics in those countries stay out of power. Just look at what happened in gaza with the free elections; we got hamas who rocket attack israel from their isolated enclave. I don't hate just muslim fanatics, I hate ALL religious fanatics and sometimes I even go as far as to wish we were all atheists, since religion has proven to *divide and conquer* more than anything else.

Just my two cents and yes I am "a bit" confused with this issue.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Last night on the Daily Show, Anderson Cooper said one of his network's reporter's (can't recall the name) walked in across Libya's liberated eastern border, so maybe CNN will have some stories here soon as soon as he makes his way over to the areas of higher conflict.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

We're not faced with 20 Irans. We're faced with a region finally having the balls to force their leadership to unite and to stand up to the things they do not believe in. Much of this may in fact even be because they finally had some unifying points either pro or against Iran and started waking up. Period. Why they didn't wake up when they saw what happened to Iraq is a mystery, but one with some very logical explanations. High time the people of the Middle East took back their own destiny.

edit on 2/23/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Firstly I want to say that Someone NEEDS to put a Bullet in Gaddafi's head asap !

Secondly, All those Ex-Pat Oil workers earning TAX-Free salaries should be BILLED / CHARGED with the costs of getting them out of that country on a charter plane.......... Whay AM I paying as a UK tax payer for them to be bailed out ??!! Their Choice to work there SO they should be responsible to Fund their own exit's if required !!!

Thirdly, The West needs to get a grip (when all this dies down, if it does) and start to ACCEPT that we need to treat different religions and Societies with respect and Not EXPECT those with Value systems different to the WEST to roll over and accept that our Capitalism is what they need to adhere to...... re oil supplies etc etc etc..........

This whole change in the balance of power NEEDS to CHANGE not only their system BUT OURS as well......

Regards

PDUK

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Sorry. I don't share your optimism BUT lets hope your right. If what I say comes true then we are seriously #ed!

edit on 23-2-2011 by EarthCitizen07 because: add sentence

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Whatever happens, will happen, and no matter what the consequences, let them bring it on themselves. I can't stand the interventionalists we've become. You're not entirely off base in my opinion. Iran was gaining strength and support in the ME. At least parts of what we're seeing are in opposition to that. The other parts are probably in favor. Sort of like this: www.abovetopsecret.com... And now we're seeing people on many sides struggling for control of the ME. The side of the people. The side of the current leaders who are dictators. The side of American interests and leaders in bed with those. Blah. Much going on here.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by xavi1000
Waiting for my bingo

Well, I've analysed the situation thoroughly, and think I have a solution.

The key thing here seems to be moustaches... if Gaddafi can quickly grow himself a little bit of fluff, it might yet save him

edit on 23/2/2011 by GoldenChild because: ...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLKMJK
How is this not on EVERY news channel? Egypt was covered 24hrs a day but when 3000 people from Libya are slaughtered we hear nothing about it on the major USA news stations. This is absolutely disgusting. I hope the Jerusalem Post is exaggerating. Obama needs to get his head out of his ass and condemn this atrocious behavior.

Because it's a much more dangerous situation ... And Anderson Cooper is going into Libya tonight i believe

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by BLKMJK

Well that's obviously nonsense - Libya is full of oil, so of course it is "of interest" to everyone in Washington, London, Beijing, Tokyo, etc..

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join