It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin repubs slam voter ID bill through committee.........dem runners whimper like babies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Three cheers for the republicans. These idiots who ran off need to get their butts back and do their job. Probably all hung over after the big Rahm victory bash at taxpayer expense.

MADISON — A Wisconsin state Senate committee passed a bill Tuesday that would require voters to show photo identification at the polls, approving it over the objection of a Democratic state senator who wasn't allowed to vote. Sen. Jon Erpenbach, one of the 14 Senate Democrats who skipped town last week rather than vote on a bill taking away collective bargaining rights for public employees, joined the committee meeting by phone. He and other Democrats have been participating and voting in committee meetings by phone ever since they left on Thursday.

Republican Sen. Mary Lazich, chairwoman of the Elections Committee, refused to let Erpenbach ask questions or vote on the voter ID proposal. "Seriously? I'm not going to be able to ask my questions?" a surprised Erpenbach said over the speakerphone set up for the meeting. Lazich repeatedly asked Erpenbach where he was and whether he was on his way to the Capitol. "You can come in at any moment," she said. "We want you present. We want you to have a full discussion."

She accused Erpenbach of an ethical violation for not being in Madison to take up the union bill that has led to eight straight days of protests in which demonstrators have filled the halls of the Capitol, noisily banging on drums, chanting and displaying signs calling for the proposal to be killed.

Link

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by HoldTheBeans

You want voter IDs?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
of course your not gonna get to ask any questions you idiot your not there. you wanna ask questions get back to your own state.

I think every state should draft a bill stating : congressmen and women who don't report for work and willingly disrupt congressional business, should be fired, and emergency primaries held to fill their seat, especially if they flee to another state

vote on it, don't flee, if you don't have the votes to block it, oh well that's life

but that's my spur of the moment opinion

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Yes, to prove voters are legit citizens....why wouldn't you want to prove that actual citizens are who they say they are? To not provide proof, would further suggest voter fraud.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Scott Walker for President 2012!!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Wisconsin....Ohio....Indiana

This has nothing to do with legislation and everything to do with turning one's back on democracy. Republicans watched for two years as Dems had majority....but went to work and voted and lost. Democracy. It hurt while it was happening....we moaned about it after it was done....but ultimately realized that Democracy is not perfect and voiced our opinions during the recent November elections.

However, we can not support politicians simply refusing to go to work because they don't like the expected outcome. Nor can we condone threats and blackmailing in order for them to return to their respective states.

If the people of these states do not like this legislation, they will have the option of voting as such in two years. Should that be the case, Dems can then reverse the legislation that was passed.

Wouldn't it have been easier for Republicans to simply refuse to vote on healthcare? How about if they all ran away to Puerto Rico and refused to return until that particular legislation was taken off the table.

This is unacceptable behavior. We are paying their salaries and their expenses to refuse to go to work.

This is not how democracy works. Rather, this is how a tyrannical government works:
Do what we say or we will do nothing for you....

Imagine saying to your boss: Unless you do this NOW, I am not returning to work and you WILL continue to pay me...

How fast would that pink slip arrive at your door?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
say what you will about repubs, atleast they had the stones to stick around and vote no on stuff they knew would pass anyway
edit on 23-2-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join