It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think I have discovered what "sin" is:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
That which we are innocent about, yet which leads to our failure, is associated with pleasure. That which we have knowledge about, that leads to our fruition, is associated with doubt.
edit on 23-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

Sounds about right to me !

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I always personally considered "sin" any act we perform which knowingly leads to negative consequence or negative energy.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think another reasonable definition is "that which we believe will lead to lasting happiness, but which inevitably does not."

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
You make it too complicated;
-sin is an antilexim!
edit on 23-2-2011 by nakiel because: plural unsanity

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Those actions that produce more harm than benefit.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Any action we take that puts our own interests before the interests of others, to the detriment of the others, I believe to be a sinful act. Or, put a simpler way, at the root of every sinful deed is selfishness.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

disagree. if everyone (who is able to) would take care of their own needs before others', i believe the world would be a much happier place.

the "virtues" of self-sacrifice, taken to the extreme, result only in the destruction of the self. living in mormon-land, i know quite a few "selfless" individuals who are nothing but shells of people.

therefore, selflessness is also a sin unless it is placed under the proper context. the context being knowledge and intent. in the same way, i consider sefishness to be one of the highest of all virtues.

this whole "service to others" and "service to self" business is reductionist hogwash.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Sin is disobedience to God and it seems we are born with it nowadays. It's untill you change.

Do you remember them saying,..... oh you have changed!??

It's to strip of all pride. (what will I get myself on the neck this time..

Nice thoughts systemresistor.
edit on 2011/2/24 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

I'd agree if "fruition" meant future-tense. For example, if you were studying engineering but you were still in your junior year and hadn't held a job yet in the field. You have knowledge about it, it will lead to yoru fruition, but you have doubt! And pleasure, ya, it's unproductive and probably just a product of our genetics. It's a place, like many other places, where we go to escape our perceived stressors. Pleasure really isn't the cause of problems anymore than the ground that kills people when they jump from a high place. It's more of an affect than a causative agent.

If you see someone swimming in pleasure they're really just swimming in failure.
edit on 24-2-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Recently I found that it originally meant " to miss the mark " or "to not hit the target" I liked this description as it has all the religious guilt removed from it and serves as way of improving ones focus,direction or aims in life. It also shows how often language misses the mark and leads us down in to a deep dark pit.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tgidkp
reply to post by TheIrvy

this whole "service to others" and "service to self" business is reductionist hogwash.

It's pretty simple actually , Just treat others the way you would want to be treated... Your family is your priority , but If and when you can help someone out , DO IT!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
As a Christian Mystic .....back in the days when I was just an Evangelically brain-washed regular Ol' Sunday Christian ....I found that folks in the Churches mostly justified Sin ...i.e. We cant stop what we do, so we just repent and try to be better next time.

Being a surgeon of discernment, I would not settle for that. I began to study what other religions and psychology had to say about no longer sinning.

What I found was disturbing but at the same time redeeming.

The Sinner is the mind, a program made up and brainwashed by this world. However the mind is not inherently who you are. After wards, there is a simple shift from the perspective of the mind, to the perspective of Awareness being aware of the mind and its choices, thoughts, actions, etc

Awareness is the soul ...and being or resting as the Clarity of Awareness, takes all power away from the mind, which is also the sinner.

This is how One, no matter the religion ...achieves eventually a state of Sinlessness and Christhood ....or mastery of Self.

The Ego is the Sinner and The Ego must die. However the real you is not the ego anyway ....and what awaits you after Ego death is a Gazillion times better than operating from the perspective of Ego

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I would say sin is something that results in something negative probably interpersonally. I would say though that perhaps sin is a more general condition that results from ignorance.

new topics

top topics

join