It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone Calls alter brain activity, scientists say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well another study done shows that the all important cell phone changes the brain in more ways than one. While the study shows altered brain states it does not conclude that it is dangerous.

Read Full Article here

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It's also been suggested that mobile phones could help protect against Alzheimer's as the radio waves 'shook apart' the amyloid beta plaques.

"One thing is clear, however - the cognitive benefits of long-term electro-magnetic exposure are real, because we saw them in both protection and treatment-based experiments involving Alzheimer's mice, as well as in normal mice."

Mobile phone radiation 'protects' against Alzheimers

"We don't recommend spending 24 hours a day on a mobile phone - we don't know the long-term effects, and bills could go through the roof."

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

this BBC article is BAD JOKE RIGHT?!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by leaualorin

No, it's based on actual research (done at the University of Florida) where they've done studies on two sets of mice, one normal set and one with a genetic predisposition to developing amyloid beta plaques.

All the mice were exposed to the electro-magnetic field generated by a standard phone for two one-hour periods each day for seven to nine months.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

I'm sorry for you if you believe a single letter from that site , but I don't trust governments and "officials" not even a moment!
By the way :
I have been "mobile phoneless" for almost 3 weeks!
IT'S WONDERFULL!
Like I'm reborn!
The stress is almost gone!
Not to mention the PAIN in my ears while I was talking ! (no matter WHAT ear I used...)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If someone is speaking, or listening to something, when suddenly a phone rings... your brain activity is altered to acknowledge that ring or vibration. Similarly your brain activity is altered when the person on the other end of the line makes noise. To analyze this further takes a special kind of incentive.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Well, I'm not paranoid, so I have no problem in believing that research. The BBC isn't government body anyway, it's a public company. That pain in your ears could be a sign of an ear infection
edit on 23/2/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Griffo

I don't think I made myself understood :
WHEN I PUT THE MOBILE TELEPHONE TO MY EAR THE PAIN APPEARS!
IF I TAKE IT AWAY (STRETCH MY ARM COMPLETELY), THE SAME PAIN DISSAPEARS !
IF I PUT THE MOBILE PHONE BACK TO MY EAR THE EXACT SAME PAIN APPEARS!
What Tinnitus?!
I think it's much more than tinnitus here!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I thought you said you had a ringing. Tinnitus is a ringing sensation in your ear that can occur after you have experienced a really loud noise. Did you ever go see a doctor about it?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
With the phone changing certain parts of the brain I wonder if people actually can become "addicted" to cell phone use. That would be an interesting study. I know a lot of ppl who seem addicted to their cell phone, even when there is a land line available.
I know I dont use the damn thing. I use the old fashioned way, if a car breaks down, i got my feet, if i need to make a call, it can wait. I have one for emergency 9-1-1 use only.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Yep, there was also a study done a few years ago that showed cell phone radiation causes difficulties sleeping if you use it before bed.

A joint study involving Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit and researchers in Sweden has found that cell phone use immediately prior to bedtime disrupts sleep patterns. Wayne's Bengt Arnetz, M.D. and a team of researchers at the Karolinska Institute and Uppsala University in Sweden found that radiofrequency released from mobile phones appeared to cause insomnia, headaches and difficulties in concentration.

www.scienceagogo.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalthinking

More from Medscape:

Cell Phone Use Affects Brain Glucose Metabolism

Use of a cell phone for as little as 50 minutes at a time appears to affect brain glucose metabolism in the region closest to the phone's antenna, a new study shows.

Investigators used positron emission tomography (PET) during cell phone use in the on and then off positions and found that although whole-brain metabolism was not affected, metabolism was increased in the orbitofrontal cortex and the temporal pole areas of the brain while the cell phone was on, areas that are close to where phone's antenna meets the head.

..."What it does say to us is that the human brain is sensitive to this electromagnetic radiation,"

..."The results by Volkow et al add to the concern about possible acute and long-term health effects of radiofrequency emissions from wireless phones, including both mobile and cordless desktop phones," they write.

top topics

join