It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prank call proves billionaire David Koch owns Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker and the GOP

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by MindSpin

What's confusing is that there's nothing in that press release that talks about THIS call specifically. I'm still not sure about the story.

Maybe this will confirm it:

UPDATE (1): Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's office confirms that the recording of a call between the governor and an alt-weekly writer posing as David Koch, one of the billionaire GOP financier brothers, is real and that it is actually Walker on the recording. The governor's office has released a statement...

motherjones.com...

Another source: voices.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by inkyminds

This CAN'T be. Republicans are the one's fighting for freedom for the working man! Not the Rich Elitists. This is obviously a liberal lie.

You are joking, right?

There are two classes of people, Us and the wealthy who include the ReBOOBlicans and the DemiRATs. It is one of the reason that Rassmussin Reports report the opinions of voters and the opinions of "the political class" ... and never the twain shall meet.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Refer back to the Web site:

Buffalo Beast Publisher Paul Fallon told The Huffington Post that the audio is "absolutely legit." That the call took place as described by the Beasthas been confirmed by Walker spokesman Cullen Werwie.

The facts are that Scott Walker has been recorded speaking of his union busting plans to a man he believed to be David Koch. What more facts do you need? Are you expecting Walker to deny that's his voice? Walker's office confirms it, as it should , as he knows any voice analysis software can confirm it is his voice, if he does, indeed, deny it.

The right-wing blogosphere praised Breitbart and O'Keefe for pulling exactly this kind of hijink (actually O'keefe went much further and engaged in illegal wire-tapping and phone tampering), so I expect they'll show as much praise for this stunt.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

I'm still wondering how this prank caller got straight to Walker. Walker says "Hello" and then the guy says it's David Koch. So the prank callers must have had a direct line to the gov.'s office otherwise why would he say hello as if he is not sure who is calling him. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it just seems odd that someone could just get to the governor's office directly, especially at this time when probably hundreds or thousands of people are calling his office.

exactly. he answers a call from a wealthy backer, even in a time of 'crises'. thats kinda the point being made.

dont you suppose they spoke with a secretary before hand, and she patched him through?

if your claim is this is 'fake', then how did they 'fake' his voice, and why does his office say it's real?

it would appear your rebuttal isn't well thought out.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I don't think Walker falls for the bait in the last line when Koch says we have a "vested interest" Walker turns and says they are doing it for the right reasons.

Koch: ...and you know we have a little bit of vested interest as well (laugh)

Walker: Well that's just it, the bottom line is we're gonna get the world moving here because it is the right thing to do.

Walker seems to not realize Koch is an impersonator but he was smart enough to avoid the bait at the end.
edit on 23-2-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

The real question is now what will happen? Will the feds swoop down and remove him from office like they did with Blago? I doubt it. Hmm...what will happen now.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I listened to the full thing and to be honest this (a) restores my faith in politicians a bit and (b) makes me like Walker. The premise of this exercise is that Walker works for Koch but if that were the case this would have been a whole lot more interesting.

As it is, it sounds like a governor being honest and saying the same thing he says in public in private, and the fact that he is explaining from the beginning and telling stories of where he came from and his past sort of indicates that this is not something he does often or even has done with Koch.

He is of course talking to a large contributor to the Republican cause which is probably the only reason the phone call was taken.

The part about putting trouble makers in to the crowd - did you hear the pause from Walker. He is being as cordial as he can be without telling the billionaire to go screw himself (which would have been better) but he tries to talk Koch off of the ledge on that and explain that the protests are fine.

I realize some of you hate the guy for what he is doing but this isn't going to help your cause if anyone listens all the way through it - he sounds like a nice, cordial guy that has true beliefs and is open in discussing them. I'm not a fan but I always thought in private conversations like this that it would sound very very different and much more damning - which is why I said at the beginning that my faith is a bit restored.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

You misunderstand.

He's saying it's the Right thing to do.

also, careful where you're going. its hard to see when back-peddling so...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by inkyminds
Exactly. he answers a call from a wealthy backer, even in a time of 'crises'. Thats kinda the point being made.

I don't see what is wrong with picking up a phone and talking to someone that is a large contributor to your political party. At the very least, it would be hypocritical to suggest that only Gov. Walker should refrain from networking with influential people. You don't think Soros, Gates, Winfrey, Turner, Buffet and the Rockefeller had any phone calls with Democrats during the rise of the Tea Party?

I think the "point" that tried to be made is that Walker works for Koch and that did not come across at all.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

I heard this too about putting agitators into the crowd, can you tell me the time of the video and which part where he talks about this? I'm trying to look for it myself but it's long. Maybe I'll check out the transcript.

edit: I can't find the whole script on any of the links, only parts of the conversation. Does anyone know where they talk about agitators in the crowd?

edit: I went through the whole conversation again and I can't find where they are talking about sending agitators into the crowd. Can only help me out by giving me a time on the video where they talk about this?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia

I'm still wondering how this prank caller got straight to Walker. Walker says "Hello" and then the guy says it's David Koch. So the prank callers must have had a direct line to the gov.'s office otherwise why would he say hello as if he is not sure who is calling him.

Christ, people, READ THE ARTICLE!!!!!!! The prankster had to get through the secretary and a senior staff member before getting to Walker. The staff member set up the call appt for a certain time and told the prankster he'd get right through to Walker at that time.

Just READ!!!!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
The right-wing blogosphere praised Breitbart and O'Keefe for pulling exactly this kind of hijink (actually O'keefe went much further and engaged in illegal wire-tapping and phone tampering), so I expect they'll show as much praise for this stunt.

That was a bit different given the people on the other side were involved in all sorts of ridiculous felonies and abuses on camera. I don't think you can pick out anything illegal in this call. He doesn't engage in any candid illicit or illegal discussion. He doesn't scold the impersonator for his suggestions but he does give a nice explanation for why those tactics would not be helpful and would in fact hurt his cause. Which - by the way, I'm sure after hearing that a violent confrontation would hurt Walker's cause that its being planned as we speak by the union.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Federal law requires that at least one party taking part in the call must be notified of the recording (18 U.S.C. §2511(2)(d)). For example, it would be illegal to record the phone calls of people who come into one's place of business and ask to use the phone unless they are notified.

edit on 23-2-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq

Exactly. he answers a call from a wealthy backer, even in a time of 'crises'. Thats kinda the point being made.

I don't see what is wrong with picking up a phone and talking to someone that is a large contributor to your political party. At the very least, it would be hypocritical to suggest that only Gov. Walker should refrain from networking with influential people. You don't think Soros, Gates, Winfrey, Turner, Buffet and the Rockefeller had any phone calls with Democrats during the rise of the Tea Party?

I think the "point" that tried to be made is that Walker works for Koch and that did not come across at all.

Hey, if you don't mind that Walker clearly feels it's important to take the time to converse with an incredibly wealthy donor, that's you're choice. For some of us, though, it would seem to fly in the face of the notion he is busting unions to 'protect taxpayers'.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I thought it was a joke but it's on every news site!
This apperently is a REAL story. They actually may have busted this puppet

edit on 23-2-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Already the partisanship mongers show their ignorance on this thread.

Does anyone at all understand what breaking the law is?

And the fact the recording a telephone conversation without the other parties consent is against Federal and State laws?

I was hoping it was a joke, because I can assure anyone that takes part in a phone taping, without the consent of the other party, especially if it is governmental, they will face legal actions federally and state. I won't get into the details, but here is layman's terms.

en.wikipedia.org...

Federal law requires that at least one party taking part in the call must be notified of the recording (18 U.S.C. §2511(2)(d)). For example, it would be illegal to record the phone calls of people who come into one's place of business and ask to use the phone unless they are notified.

I see. so you're assertion is that neither party was aware the prank call was taped?

yes, clearly this is a more important issue than Walker giving precious time to a wealthy donor who stands to benefit from the governor's actions.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
This is clearly a case of wiretapping, although it makes me angry they have a double standard when it comes to wiretapping, if ever there was wiretapping, this would be it. So this seems like a Lefty is breaking the law to prove the tea baggers are criminals? Creative, yes. Successful? It would appear so. smart? Maybe not. Perhaps it was a bit too successful of a prank.

I checked out some of the other Beast prank calls

Here is a sample, the first call from this link

www.buffalobeast.com...

Man: Congressman Mitchell’s Office.

Hillary Clinton: Hi, I’m Hillary Clinton.

Man: Hello?

HC: HELLO?

Man: Uh...

HC: Congressman MITCHELL.

Man: Yes.

HC: Yes.

[Pause]

HC: RIGHT NOW! DO IT!

Man: Excuse me?

HC: DO IT!

[Click]

This seems like a typical prank call, about ten seconds long and pointless. They really stepped it up with this Walker prank call, 20 minutes!

The prank calls are pretty funny but they are definitely retarded and don't make much sense. This seems like a different angle that doesn't descend into pottiness after the first five seconds of the prank.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
it is NOT illegal wire tapping. Ir's a prank call. clearly the people doing the pranking are aware they are taping themselves.

You're just running out of excuses for Governor Walker, grasping at straws. You're governor does the bidding of the wealthy. He's a shill.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

Real Truth?

Since when do Republicans care about laws?

Watergate
Iran Contra

Even the Vietnam War A DEMOCRAT

Or the illegal [INTERNATIONAL LAW]
Iraq war where millions died!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

it is NOT illegal wire tapping. Ir's a prank call. clearly the people doing the pranking are aware they are taping themselves.

But Walker does not realize he is being recorded, that's why it would be wiretapping. Obviously the pranksters would know they are recording themselves, isn't that obvious?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

edit on 23-2-2011 by Realtruth because: incorrect legal/ law interpertation

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join