It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libya alleges that Al-Qaeda set up emirate in country

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Libya alleges that Al-Qaeda set up emirate in country

www.nowlebanon.com

Al-Qaeda has set up an Islamic emirate in Derna, in eastern Libya, headed by a former US prisoner at Guantanamo Bay, Libya’s deputy foreign minister told a meeting with EU ambassadors in Tripoli.

"Al-Qaeda has established an emirate in Derna led by Abdelkarim al-Hasadi, a former Guantanamo detainee," Khaled Khaim said.

"They have an FM radio station and have begun to impose the burqa" (head-to-toe covering for women) and have "executed people who refuse to cooperate with them."
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/23/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
What in the world is going to happen next? Could Libya fall to Al-Qaeda if Gaddafi falls?

Could Gaddafi have allowed Al-Qaeda to take parts of the East to scare the Libyans into thinking that an Al-Qaeda led government will be their future if they do not stop protesting? Or is this all fabricated to scare the West into thinking Al-Qaeda is taking over Libya?

Things could have just gotten a lot worse or this could be a huge false rumor started by Gadaffi to scare the West and even the Libyans.

www.hurriyetdailynews.com...

Al-Qaeda has set up an Islamic emirate in Derna, in eastern Libya, headed by a former U.S. prisoner at Guantanamo Bay, the country's deputy foreign minister told EU ambassadors in Tripoli.

However, residents in the city have told reporters there is no substance to these rumors, which they claim the Libyan government is sowing to "scare Europe."

www.nowlebanon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2/23/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I think it is a hoax engineered by Ghaddafi/Kadafi/MoreCoffee. And if it is not, AQ won't last. No amount of tyranny will be tolerated for quite a while.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
"Al-Qaeda" doesn't really exist. What the US government refers to as such is really just a series of independent organisations that the US government claims are linked - they claim many organisations to be branches of "Al-Qaeda" (such as Abu Sayyaf) even though they have no proven links or any real concrete evidence of any kind of link at all.

Al Qaeda is a bogeyman used to manufacture consent for the war on terror. Its easy to justify wars and illegal actions if there is a single monolithic group with global reach to portray. In reality, such a group does not exist.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
It does seem unlikely that an official al-Qaeda group has taken over east Libya. My interpretation of the facts varies from some others', but I think that al-Qaeda is a real group that is far less cohesive than our media makes it out to be; less SPECTRE from James Bond and more 'bin Laden Fans of the World.'

I think that it is extremely likely that an emirate has been established in the east and has not yet consolidated its power. This would explain why residents are unaware of its presence in their city. To cite another example of an Islamic emirate popping up unofficially, I direct you to the Caucasus Emirate, established after a leader of the Chechen rebellion converted to Islam.

I for one hope that Gadhafi can stay in power if the alternative is a theocracy.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
ghadafi will crush them if they even tried to take over libya, more deaths are on there way.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I don't think Ghaddafi would allow anyone related to bin Laden to set up shop in Libya. Libya was the first nation to issue an international warrant for bin Laden's arrest in 1998.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
More likely an attempt by Gadhafi at fear-mongering, he's using the threat of "Al Queda" the same way US politicians use it, as an excuse to let his military do whatever it wants.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In his speech yesterday, Gaddafi accused Al Quaida and the USA at once. More then once he used the phrase, that foreign elements want to see "men with beards" in his place.
He also said, that the youth was misled by foreign agents, who gave them money and drugs and that they naively wanted to copy Tunesia and Egypt. He said, he was not angry with the youth and the parents should call them home, but everybody who participated in the rebellion would lose his head without mercy... and and and.

A lot of crazy bubble, that made no sense at all, but only showed clearly an old man, who lost reality and declares war to his own people.

Maybe there is a danger. But then I rather would expect, that the different tribes would start to quarrel about leadership. Gaddafi himself is done and out. May somebody stop him, before his last followers can kill too many more.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

great...
let's invade Libya now...
sheeples...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Shouldn't this whole issue be one of what the Libyan people want?

I know that the power elite usually don;t give a crap about such trivialities... although you might think by now they would start to realize that their 'entitlement' to lead is a b/s creation of their sycophantic allies.....

but in the end, the (what 11 million or so?) people either accept whatever yoke of governance is imposed upon them, or they create a mandate that their leaders must follow - or get out of the way.... (just ask Mubarek)

The rest (religion, ideology, nationalism) is all immaterial if the people are determined to resist it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I sincerely doubt that the Libyan people are by and large religious fanatics demanding a theocratic state. Libyans today have lived for 42 years under Gadhafi's more or less secular rule, and decades of secular Italian rule before that. Perhaps they would be interested in seeing a little bit more intermingling of church and state, but nobody ever wants a theocracy. I will not believe any hypothetical future referendum that supports an Islamic emirate in Libya.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

I had understood (perhaps incorrectly) that Libya (before the revolution I suppose) was more or less "owned" by Italy, Great Britain, and the French up until WWII.

During that time, their tribal tendencies were pretty much exploited to ensure imperialistic colonialism (which was a cover for corporate empire building) was able to operate without a regard for any 'common' government of the people living in what is largely a desert nation.

Ghadafi removed that yoke only to place his own tribal preferences in such a manner as to restrict control to those he considered 'his' people.

40 years later, as the global community approaches an informational singularity, his "subjects" are realizing now just how costly that was to them as a people.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Libyan people (as a whole) have no coherent idea of what they want instead... they just want his brand of crony-ism and autocracy gone for good.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Don't worry... Calm down....
They are Muslims, they are peaceful ! Everyone step aside and let Muslim rule become law, the world will bask in peace!

We are Muslims! We are here to rule! Believe me? If not I will have you stoned and killed!

Another case of the "religion of peace" showing it's beauty.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ShaunHatfield

never mind
edit on 23-2-2011 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Another reason why I don't believe this claim is that bin Laden's group worked with MI6 on an assassination plot against Ghaddafi. I doubt Ghaddafi would be too keen on bin Laden after that.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

Just out of curiosity, you weren't going to defend evilslam were you?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I was. your post was rather silly though, so I figured "why bother?"

This thread has nothing to do with Islam directly, except that AQ has twisted the religion for its own purposes. But none of that matters since the chances of this story being true is rather small. Now let's stay on topic and talk about the OP.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

"They have an FM radio station and have begun to impose the burqa" (head-to-toe covering for women) and have "executed people who refuse to cooperate with them."

Yeah... how in the world could I have made the stretch, that this had anything to do with religion.... wow

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

As InvisibleAlbatross said, this isn't about Islam directly (although I am sure that it gets you excited to think about it in that way). It is about al-Qaeda in particular, specifically their possible activity inside of Libya. Al-Qaeda =/= Islam.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join