It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US ready to order Libya invasion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

US ready to order Libya invasion?

www.bbc.co.uk

Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro says the US has no interest in seeing peace in Libya but is solely concerned with the country's oil reserves.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
love him or hate him its always interesting to hear what fidel castro has to say. according to casto the United States is not worried at all about peace in Libya or anywere else for that matter. as we all know war is big buisness.this could be in "a matter of hours or a few days". he was quoted as saying.interesting to say the least. thoughts?

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by kolcath

We won't invade.

We may establish a no fly zone.

Egypt might invade though, since Libyan mercs are killing Egyptian citizens.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
if they did I reckon there'd be plenty of objections especially over here in the uk (which always follows america around like a puppy). Iraq is too fresh in everyones minds and what with afganistan becoming an issue as well.

Nah I reckon americas just going to try to work this one to their favour behind the scenes

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Interesting scenario, maybe Egypt will move to take over Cyrenaeca?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
if they did I reckon there'd be plenty of objections especially over here in the uk (which always follows america around like a puppy). Iraq is too fresh in everyones minds and what with afganistan becoming an issue as well.

Nah I reckon americas just going to try to work this one to their favour behind the scenes
agreed. but is there a chance this could happen? i mean could they afford it in terms of money and manpower.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It should be out of the question for ANY country to invade another in any attempt to 'save' the people.

Libya is not facing an external threat of foreign armies, barbarians at the gates.

It is only facing a barbarian within the gates, and I have the fullest confidence in the courageous men of Libya being able to contain that beast. The barbarian, along with its minions are only a few, and operates in the light, while the men of homecountry Libya owns the night.

Victory for the Libyans is only a matter of time, as the tide of freedom and history relentlessly presses on in our current world today. It will be their own victory, and a deed remembered by generations forever, the day that freedom came for a nation and treasured forever.

We on the outside, will do everything except invasion, to support, to encourage, to offer assistances within the best of our abilities.

Goodluck.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I cannot see the US invading Libya-maybe Castro would like the idea,but It won't happen IMO.
The US are in no position to invade another area of the ME right now,and in fact it could look as though they are exploiting the situation to the rest of the arabs if they did invade.
The US will,if they have any sense,wish to be seen as moderate peacemakers and supporters of democracy in the ME countries now suffering civil unrest.

Whats going on in the ME at the moment could not be done by any amount of Western military invasions IMO,thats not to say the west didn't have some hand in stirring up this hornets nest via "soft power" in some form or other.

The only US "invasion" of Libya will take place after the dust settles,and the invasion will be corporate rather than military in my opinion.
Course they won't be alone-Russia,China,Europe,UK will all join in the corporate invasion...
Just look at David Cameron's recent "solidarity" trip to Egypt/Kuwait etc-Who did he take with him on this little jolly journey to "support the protesters" ?

Ah thats right,he took execs from BAE systems and Qinetic....
Bless his little Etonion cotton socks.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Ah thats right,he took execs from BAE systems and Qinetic....
Bless his little Etonion cotton socks.

Just thought I'd clarify this point.

BAe already has several big deals with the Egyptian Military (such as a howitzer deal done last year) and while I am sure they would be keen to drum up new business, the chances are given the precarious nature of Egypt right now, they are more likely to be ensuring existing deals are honoured.

Qinetic are the R&D arm of the MoD that deal with commercial aspects of Defence R&D in the UK. Again, chances are they are involved in any deal BAe have and are just shoring up contracts signed.

I really don't see anyone in Egypt being in a position to negotiate any big deals right now as they would lack authority and, more importantly, cash.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

The US will,if they have any sense,wish to be seen as moderate peacemakers and supporters of democracy in the ME countries now suffering civil unrest.

yep that sounds like the sensible option but who knows what this goverment is planning. lets hope castros wrong.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It is likely a Pan-African army, led my Egypt might intervene (but with the American and British special forces providing "oversight") for the whole operation. In fact, Western special forces would capture key facilities (such as the oil fields)

VERY likely that intervention will occur - but not standard army units.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

"Exercise Mailed Fist is the first exercise of its specific kind and the largest 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing exercise conducted in recent history," said Staff Sgt. Roman J. Yurek, Marine Corps spokesman. "In the past, 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing units had to deploy to the West Coast to conduct this type of training."

CNN link

top topics

join