It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A quality image. Screw you David Cameron.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Okay, so first of all, I am more conservative than labour, however I believe that all of the political parties in the UK are all basically the same anyway, and that we need real change although that's for another topic.

I saw this image today:

Just goes to show the incredible double standards of politicians. Ridiculous.
edit on 23-2-2011 by GodForbid because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-2-2011 by GodForbid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by GodForbid
Okay, so first of all, I am more conservative than labour, however I believe that all of the political parties in the UK and all basically the same anyway, and that we need real change although that's for another topic.

I saw this image today:

Just goes to show the incredible double standards of politicians. Ridiculous.

Errr, there was a pretty HUGE difference between those on the right of that image and those on the left. Namely the fact that those on the right were literally fighting for there very freedom as there was no other way to achieve it! And the left were a bunch of idiots rioting and causing trouble when most were being peaceful thus completely and utterly defeating the point of the entire protest.

Seriously, comparing both protests is what's really ridiculous. Not politicians.

Edit to add:

and that we need real change although that's for another topic.

I have to admit though, I agree with this. We really do need massive reform in this country and soon. But smashing things up and just causing havoc isn't the way do achieve it..IMO.
edit on 23-2-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by GodForbid

I am seeing this not just with the U.K. but with a lot of different countries. Here in Canada, I see our Prime Minister Harper as talking "big", but then remember the summit here that they actually changed the laws just for the event.

I also see a lot of world leaders looking rather afraid these days as they wonder "what if" when it comes to their own countries.

Interesting times indeed, and I'm glad that I am not the only one noticing these hypocrites.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d5d251f07364.png[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
that picture is too true, the uk people feel repressed, ignored and lied to for many years.

if we lived in a less politically stable country, we'd be in open revolt like eygpt is now.

everywhere I go everyone I see in this country, they're angry and deppressed. Some of them don't have the words to explain how or why and other place the blame were it doesn't belong but this country is slowly turning into a powder keg. It's filled with a kind of passive agressive anger, that seems to be slowly boiling away in an unfocused manner.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Great image it explains a lot about ignorant fascist leaders, we in london will soon have to protest again! I hope that day will come soon so I can kick some David cameron ass!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

I think comparing students fighting for government subsidized schooling paid for by the government, i.e. taxpayers, is quite different from people fighting for freedom from a 30 years murderous and oppressive dictator.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
that picture is too true, the uk people feel repressed, ignored and lied to for many years.

if we lived in a less politically stable country, we'd be in open revolt like eygpt is now.

everywhere I go everyone I see in this country, they're angry and deppressed. Some of them don't have the words to explain how or why and other place the blame were it doesn't belong but this country is slowly turning into a powder keg. It's filled with a kind of passive agressive anger, that seems to be slowly boiling away in an unfocused manner.

This is perfectly true and I see it too, and it includes myself. We're just beaten down over and over again from every which way by our government. They preach free will but what we get is crippled economically and that's as bad as locking us up because it ensures we can't go anywhere or do anything. Our benefit system gives free money to those unwilling to work yet those with injuries etc and are employed but unable to work are shafted and given nothing because debt is a good thing - for the government.

I'm sick to death with the double standards and the constant beat down. Something will change eventually, but I doubt it'll be in my lifetime, I feel I'm due to be crushed throughout it.

I'd like to move to Australia, but because of lack of government funded training schemes I'm unable to afford to get trained in anything, so I'm stuck with my two jobs forever. While hundreds of thousands of "skilled workers" are imported from other countries and fill they jobs people like me could have been trained to do.

Sickening.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

thats just a very small angry tip of the very, very large iceberg of discontent in this country.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
In talking about the left side, I think it's very hard for a population to revolt against the government when there is no current example of a better system elsewhere. All governments have fallacies. Just what do they expect to become?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

While I agree that these are two very different protests the point stands.

These students aren't protesting for no reason, and they're doing it because they're not given the chance to be heard. Which is exactly what Cameron calls for when it's in a different country. It's all a big ball game imho.

Instead of giving the students the chance to be heard, and taking their voices into consideration and figuring out how to solve some of their problems they're forced to protest, and then after doing so they're "met with the full force of the law" and that's why I hate this country.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
reply to post by Misoir

thats just a very small angry tip of the very, very large iceberg of discontent in this country.

I totally agree. People need to realise that there are more than just "student" protests. There is growing unrest but a lot of it is never televised.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

The people in the UK have good motorway's, satellite tv, health standards, money for the unenployed, good quality houses, good quality job centre's etc and etc and etc

Come to Spain, where we have nearly the whole country unenployed, crappy job centres, no abosolute financial help for the unenployed etc and etc and etc

I dont understand what you people are mad about?
Most of you come over here to Spain and buy houses and beach resort area type's, whilst the people from this country can only look and dream.
You have no shanty towns in the UK. We have load's.

I lived in the UK for a long time and I dont see what the fuss is about, apart from the cameras and a few minor little thing's.
Real problems are when your whole family are unenployed, your father ill, your mother selling homemade baskets door to door etc

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

These students aren't protesting for no reason, and they're doing it because they're not given the chance to be heard. Which is exactly what Cameron calls for when it's in a different country. It's all a big ball game imho.

I didn't say they wasn't protesting for a reason, in fact, I wholeheartedly agree with what they was protesting for and I would've been with them If I lived closer to London to be perfectly honest. But, It was just the small minority whom were being idiots and ruining the whole thing for everyone else. After all, why would the government want to listen to a bunch of mindless anarchists smashing cars and windows? I wouldn't.

I'm a really big advocate for Peaceful protest you see, I think It's by far better than violence and It achieves more if done correctly and even I could see the Egyptians needed to do what they did in the way they did. And so could Cameron.

And Of course he was going to say what he said, they deserve there freedom over there and the only way they could've achieved It was in the way It was achieved. We in fact didn't need the protests to go down in the way they did. So he has every right to condemn them. In fact, He would've been heavily criticized (and rightly so) if he didn't more than likely.

The 2 protests are completely different and trying to link them and use them both against Cameron is wrong IMO. Especially when he's done and said nothing wrong.

Btw, you should know, I really don't like Cameron in the slightest, but he's actually not wrong here.

edit on 23-2-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
the cruelest irony to my mind is that , the closest thing we've got in this country to a political party that stands up to the government is the BNP (think neo nazi thugs, pretending to be respectable).

That's the main reason the BNP has gotten bigger over the last decade.

Theres a few other minor parties kicking around (greens and ukip etc) but they don't get much air time.

not to mention the libertarian party in this country being so small scale as to be invisable.

when I go to the ballot box, there isn't anyoe to vote for who reflects my political beliefs, or the beliefs of large chucks of the british public. Even when peoples beliefs to coencide with what the government promises during the elections, there promises turn out to be completely hollow 9/10.

There isn't a real counter measure in this country, in america you've got the democratrepublican party, but its ballenced out some what, by the libertarians, tea party and as recent events would seem to indicate the unions.

In the UK there isn't a counter balance that is nearly so strong.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma

The people in the UK have good motorway's, satellite tv, health standards, money for the unenployed, good quality houses, good quality job centre's etc and etc and etc

Come to Spain, where we have nearly the whole country unenployed, crappy job centres, no abosolute financial help for the unenployed etc and etc and etc

I dont understand what you people are mad about?
Most of you come over here to Spain and buy houses and beach resort area type's, whilst the people from this country can only look and dream.
You have no shanty towns in the UK. We have load's.

I lived in the UK for a long time and I dont see what the fuss is about, apart from the cameras and a few minor little thing's.
Real problems are when your whole family are unenployed, your father ill, your mother selling homemade baskets door to door etc

I'm VERY offended by your reply for so many reasons.

People like me work two jobs around 65 hours a week, I earn nearly £700 a month, that's before an incredible amount of tax. I live in a two bedroom small flat and I pay £133 a month on council tax... Petrol costs £1.31 a litre, I can barely afford to live.
I recently sustained a severe injury to my left arm resulting in surgery to repair several tendons, I am unable to do either of my jobs as they are both physical in nature I am entitled to NOTHING from the government until I am in debt.
I have a friend who dislikes working and I don't blame him, but he literally refuses to work, yet he's given a three bedroom house, job seekers allowance, living allowance, and bills etc paid for. It's f..... ridiculous.
We have no voice to complain because when we protested we're hunted and slapped by the full force of the law.
There's no training available for young people because skilled workers are imported from eastern europe or african countries, leaving nothing for us who're born here.
That's why we're angry, yes it could be worse, but damnit it could be a WHOLE LOT BETTER.
People like me struggle to live here, just basic things too, while the rich are rewarded and those are the types who buy villas in Spain, it's the same here.
I don't know about the problems you face in Spain, but I damn well know about the ones we face here and I'd like to be able to protest and my voice be heard! Not crushed by the law!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma

I canonly speak personally of course (although I doubt I'm the only one in this country in this situation) but heres how this affects me

1. motorway: I can neither afford a licence nor the tax on a car so they are comletely useless to me

2. I can't afford a t.v. licence never mind sattelite.

3. granted I've got the shamble that is the NHS

4.again granted I have money for being unemployed

5. I don't know when the last time was you were in the uk but the job centres today are useless.

My whole family is unemployed and I would personally speaking quite happily sell door to door except its illegal were I live now.

Things arn't as rosey as you remember them friend at least not from were I'm sitting.
edit on 23-2-2011 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

my life as become a bitter hand to mouth existgance with little to no hope of employment, I'm to the point were I consider people on minimum wage rich.
edit on 23-2-2011 by monkofmimir because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Off Topic,but if someone wants to make a new Thread about it,go ahead.

Palestin ian tycoons with Libya links behind Tory donations

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I'm with you my friend and you're not alone. I know a lot of people and %60 of them are in your situation and the rest in my situation, which is when you are lucky enough to get a job it pays so little that you're better off in your position anyway.

The whole thing is a shambles and that's why we;re all so depressed and angry.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Like many posters have said, there is a big difference.

Firstly, the whole Country were behind the protests in Egypt, they were fighting for demacracy and freedom.

Our students in the UK were only out for themselves and the ones that were interviewed didn't seem to know much about the policy and how it will work anyway. Most students will pay less for their course per month. Our university courses are in a mess! People taking stupid degrees in whatever, one even offering a degree in the "Cling On" langauge from Star Trek, then leaving University and not beng able to get a job because what they have studied for four years is worthless to what employers need. Making students actually pay more for their course in the long run will make them choose a course more wisley.

Secondly, just because ten or twenty thousand people protest, it doesn't mean they speak for the whoe Country and policy should be changed.

However, when you have people protesting in their millions and people can be bothered to get out of their house to voice their opposition, then yes, our government should listen.

edit on 23-2-2011 by JonoEnglish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

1-2 (depending on who you believe) million people marched against the iraq war, and it still happened.

people don't march now because they know they will be ignored.
edit on 23-2-2011 by monkofmimir because: as always I cant speel

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join