It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheap Chinese Crap : As-Seen-on-TV Products Test and Joblesseness

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Another good thread SKL.

I turned my hypnosis box off a couple of years ago for the most part, and never looked back.

The endless ads and sales pitches being flashed at me like I was an idiotic consumerist sheeple was a primary reason, along with 90% of the other garbage being pure propaganda for tptb.

Agree with you guys on the outsourcing of jobs and manufacturing, and the insourcing of wortthless crap too. How far we have slid in such short time. Sigh.

I still watch the television but only for things I can learn from in my interests.

Educational, Entertrainment (educational fiction, and I reverse the propaganda in my head), and History.

I'm not an impulse shopper and never have been.

That this thread just got moved to the Global Financial Meltdown forum is awesome.

That opens up the discussion more and more.
edit on 2/24/11 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth and Insight Into the Post.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

I like that delayed gratification person. I guess I have always been that way. If you don't have the money to buy something you do without until you can or you improvise. Most people don't do that anymore. I actually take "hand me downs" from friends & family (especially clothes) and alter them to fit me. I even do this with thrift store items as well. most clothing from any store I have been in the past few years are all cheaply made and will just fall apart after a few washes. and yes, they are ALL MADE IN OTHER COUNTRIES.

I too drive a ford. I have an explorer. Its not brand new, and thats fine I dont really like the newer vehicles anyway. I did have a ford explorer from the very early 90's that my uncle gave me. It was a beast. had over 140,000 miles and it ran till the transmission started to go. Gave it to a guy my dad worked with and he fixed the trans and it still ran. That's also what I like about American cars, I can find my way around the things under the hood. My car now is probably about 6 years old, and runs fine, and gets me where i need to be.

perhaps the government wants everyone to be in debt to make themselves not look as bad ; ) haha

Sorry, jobs and money should help America first, every other country is secondary. Especially in this current economic climate.

I have been saying this for so long now. So glad other people feel the same!

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Now they've got something that stirs stuff for you in case you lose an arm or two in a horrific bowling accident.

Peace

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Explanation: St*rred!

I'm terribly sorry that I failed to communicate in the best manner as I was in NO WAY suggesting anybody Counterfeit U$D at all and I was talking and suggesting more along the lines of My Coke Reward Points and MicroSoft Xbox Live Points as systems of own Cash and Currency and there are threads on ATS about that and members have show that it is...

1] Possible to do!

2] Legal to do so!

3] But pay your Taxes OK [just like OL suggested
]

ATS search results on 'make own currency' [ATS]

US communities print own money over tight cash.
(by biomehanika posted on 6-4-2009 @ 08:56 PM ) [ATS]

Ok here are my threads linked in the context here as I see it...

A] That which is self evident...

TPTB can't Tax you, if you're beyond their reach, out in space! Viable ways to get off this planet. (by OmegaLogos posted on 5-1-2011 @ 08:10 AM ) [ATS]

This threads context based tie-in!: Seems that China will beat America back to the Moon! That's a lot of resources to make even cheaper products with whilst devaluing the U$D even further, as the sky is the limit regarding that issue.

B] My thread on the USA accepting its fate as regards China!

Next Elections lets Vote 1 China OK! (by OmegaLogos posted on 8-2-2010 @ 11:07 PM) [ATS]

This threads context based tie-in!: If the US had but listened to OL when I posted that thread, then this might be a moot and mute point already.

C] A non space race simple and resource based Currency solution that is decentralized and could lead to decartelization of both financial and energy Corporate sectors etc. whilst simultaneously providing self sufficency to the civillain population base that employs it effectively.

Hey Presto! Out of Thin Air! A magical new currency and economy! (by OmegaLogos posted on 8-9-2010 @ 05:30 AM) [ATS]

This threads context based tie-in!: It is 'The SIMPLE SOLUTION!' to this worlds problems financially and resource wise and builds self sufficency etc.

Personal Disclosure: And now I shall proceed to RANT a bit on why all this crap happened...

In the 1950's Engineers and Architects were designing and building products that would work and last several lifetimes of use wear and tear etc. They got a pat on the back and were paid once and then downsized and scraped... They have been getting revenge ever since ok!!!

Edited to add this funny satirically factual yvid that was recorded originally in the US in the early 1960's.

P.S. I encourage my fellow members to use this "As Seen On ATS OmegLogos's Products Test" and I assure you it contains no lead but can 'lead' you to being safe and having fun!

edit on 24-2-2011 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to add yvid satiricall humour to help sell my main points. Thanks to Mr Tom Lehrer.

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackViolet

It makes me happy to hear people appreciate threads like this one.

This particular thread reminds me of when Bridgstone/Firestone almost went out of business.

This was back in the day when bicycles were big and they manufacture rubber tires.

Prior to the automobile.

The way the story went, and I forget where I read it, was they manufactured their ties so good people stopped buying tires, forcing Bridgestone/Firestone to almost declare bankrupcty, due to the fact that no one was buying the tires anymore and they had a massive inventory on hand.

They then began manufacturing bicycle tires with an acceptable "loss" of product due to malfunction, blowouts, and less than acceptable materials, then turning around and guaranteeing products and writing off the replacements when they happened.

This is similar to how car companies do a very similar practice in finding out a certain percentage of automobiles have "manufacturer defects", which can not only cause warranty issues, but as well in certain cases death of the owners, and these are seen as "acceptable losses".

They set aside money for these issues and potential lawsuits and hedge their bets and use major delay tactics to screw consumers who sue them for various reasons.

Think back to the Ford Explorer tire issues, a Firestone product, and when Ford divorced themselves from what was a long-term relationship.

Product Liability: Manufacturing Defects vs. Design Defects

...and...

Judge expands lawsuit vs. Ford, Firestone

...and...

Firestone Tire Failure

...and...

Ford Explorer Recall - Firestone Tire Requests NHTSA to Begin A Defect Investigation concerning the Rollover Problems of the Ford Explorer, Mercury Mountaineer & Mazda Navajo SUV Vehicles after a Tire Tread Separation of a Rear Tire

I did thorough and in depth research into this back when it happened and I was appalled.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladymerelda
reply to post by mblahnikluver

wow. I am in total agreement with your statement about credit cards. when I was younger (only a few years tho i'm 25 now) I let my family talk me into getting a credit card to build credit. to be honest I didn't even have a bank account until i was almost 23, because like credit cards, I didn't want one, and don't see the need for it.

I don't do banks. I don't trust them lol I use the Wal Mart prepaid VISA. I load it when needed for bills or online shopping. I haven't had a credit card in probably 10 years and I will never have one. Everyone is always telling me to get one so I have credit well I dont want credit. Why would I want it? So I can be in debt and miserable later on like they are?! No thanks! Im happy living within my means which is something country needs to learn how to do.

Now I am stuck with a very small limit card.(def not 100 thousand limit haha) did not work for a little over a year & a half, and I still have credit. I do understand that whole philosophy of save up if you really need something, and that's what i plan on doing from now on. going back to the way I used to live and preferred.
although my current debts are doctor stuff, and groceries. lol but soon it will be paid down. and I CAN BANISH IT FOR GOOD.

I put mine in the paper shredder lol something I do not recommend though
not very good for the shredder!

its just really great to see someone else understands how terrible those plastic things are!

Yes it is
most of my friends do not see the same way I do and have CC debit out the rear. One of my friends anytime we go out she always uses plastic, never cash. She lives on credit. She obviously doesn't realize that credit wont last esp when she is only paying the minimum and spending it faster than she pays it. CC's are an addiction to some people.

My town also did that with WalMarts as well, and they did the same thing, They are a terrible store. my mother works there, and hates it. not only are the products junk, they treat the employees like dirt.

Yes I have heard they don't treat their employees well. I worked at Lowes Home Store about 10yrs ago and one of the guys I worked with worked for Wal Mart for decades, he was much older, and he left Walmart after Sam Walton died because the company completely changed. He said they cut wages, took away benefits and bonuses they use to get. He said Sam Walton would be appaulled if he knew how it was being run now and this was 10yrs ago and it has gotten worse. I have gotten into arguements with employees there, they are usually rude as can be! I had one lady yell at me and blame ME for messing up the panty hose section. Stuff was all over the floor. I was putting it BACK on the shelf helping her out and she yelled at me! I worked retail and I hate seeing stuff on the floor so I have a habit of fixing it lol I told her what I was doing and she cursed at me! I got her manager who obviously did nothing because her angryself was there the next day and the days after that. She is always unpleasant.

I tried to get a job at Wal Mart and couldn't! I don't know if that is good or bad. lol I guess they think Im over qualified or too smart because if I was in charge I'd probably get rid of half those people and bring in people who do their job and appreciate it. If you don't like your job, don't take it out on the customers, in a sense they are paying your salary by shopping there! It's like they go through the motions and just leave. I try not to go to Wal Mart unless I have to anymore esp the one by me, it's just horrible! I go to Publix but they are so expensive so it kind of sucks with choices lol

Good for you for getting rid of your cards

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

haha on the paper shredder. I better not do that either ! i too do the same thing and straighten things in stores. I still work retail and can't believe how messy some people leave things. although i have never had someone yell at me for helping out! your local walmart sounds reversed to my local one. all the customers are pretty nasty and rude there. the employees are nice, except for the store manager, she is probably related to the unpleasant lady who yelled at you.

actually my mother just told me a few days ago the store manager directed employees to write off valentine's day merchandise ...and they threw it away! i mean really that could have been donated to a thrift store. the company is so messed up.

it is probably best you didnt get the job there. and yes you probably were to smart & they figured they couldnt take advantage of you. my mother tells me so many stories about how they treat people so badly. a big thing with them now is to try to get rid of employees that have worked there to long (5+ years) because they make to much and want to bring new people in and pay them next to nothing. so far my mom hasn't budged, she refuses to take their crap!

/end rant about walmart.

i dont understand how people can always just use a card like your friend. I have had friends who did that, and then they would complain about how much their bill was. yeh maybe you shouldnt be using it to charge lunch 4 times a week. stay home and eat! ha

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokenbullet56
That's one thing that worries me, is as the economy goes down more and more, so do people's standards for the jobs they choose. I think it will get to a point where people simply don't care what they do as long as they are getting paid, without worrying about what or who they are supporting in the process, and it will only get worse as the economy gets worse!

The perpetual motion of crap puming out of factories will only get worse.

As well the apathy of an ignorant populace working only makes those with work ethics suffer.

Not to mention all of that actually making this countries once proud history become a sad joke.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
If you've ever put together one of those pieces of "furniture" from a department store, and realized that it is a piece of cardboard with simulated wood made of vinyl hiding the truth that is really no more than the cardboard box it came out of...then you know my pain!

Then, after you built it, it swayed with the weight of the computer, screen, and printer, and before long the little simulated wood plugs popped out exposing those nifty little cam lock screws....you know my pain!

After a year your cardboard box no longer stood up straight, so you decide to move into the spare room, basically to hide it from the guests, hoping to get another few months or whatever out of it, and thing tumbles like a house of cards, then you know my pain...

My furniture is OAK now...all of it. You can jump up and down on it. Thing is, most of it is from thrift stores, and well, it's older than I am. Ya, it ain't modern looking, but its all matched from the same era. All in excellent condition too. All it needs is a shag rug underneath it and ya got a set for an episode of the Brady Bunch. My stereo system is made by a company called KNIGHT...It is from the early sixties and it uses VACUUM TUBES, not transistors. Knight was an AMERICAN company that produced HI-FI stereo equipment that came in KITS, you had to build them yourself. Electronic kits were all the rage in the 50's and 60's, Dynaco, Heathkit, Eico...

Just before the Japanese invasion of CHEAP electronics in the seventies...

The stereo needed a little work, but I fixed it myself (learned how to do it on the internet LOL, ironic!!!), and at 50 something years old, it will OUT SING your surround sound dolby THX blah, blah, blah, stereo without breaking a sweat. My speakers are 50 years old too. That have CLOTH surrounds, they don't disintegrate after ten years like all the ones made after about 1980. My stereo system will not die in a year or two, just after the expiration of the warranty, and it will probably out live myself with a little care and maintenance.

I have lamps, old radios, artwork, picture frames, kitchen tools, work tools, vases, knick-knacks, all from thrift stores, all from the 1900-1970 era...

1970...about the time America died, and left the rest of the world boss...

You'd think it would look a little bland, boring, obsolete...but everyone that comes in here is usually blown away in awe, WOW, how NEAT, they say...then I turn on the stereo and they are mystified by the clear, sparkling sound of the warmth of the tubes, the presence of speakers that should have made it to a landfill 45 years ago. The clothes I wear are mostly thrift store finds too, and vintage...Pendleton, Woolrich, Sear's Men Store, Levi's with MADE IN USA on the labels, Leather coats with MADE IN THE USA...everything American made, even Sanforized LEE jeans with the old UNION LABEL...

What all my STUFF has in common??? Looks basically new, and its all LIVED for 40-110 years...and it has a story to tell...

" I am built to last. I am TIMELESS as far as my practicality is concerned. I am NOT FASHIONABLE, but I am PROUD. I am QUALITY and I will outlive what you bought at WAL-MART yesterday, maybe by another 100 years, maybe more..."

BUILT TO LAST IS BAD FOR BUSINESS BABY!!! THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!!! THE BOTTOM LINE IS THE BOTTOM LINE!!!

I paid far less for my USED Levis, than you paid for yours. I paid less for my lamp, my furniture, my stereo, my doo-dads...and I am BEATING THE SYSTEM...and I do NOT contribute to the system...even BETTER.

edit on 26-2-2011 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-2-2011 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackViolet

Great thread SKL,

Something close to my heart,It is an issue with me.

Twenty years ago there was none of the second rate garbage available,What i can't
understand is how people survived without half the things we have today,I mean
seriously life expectancy must have been in the negative without an automated
vegetable washer/peeler...

What grieves me the most tho is,
I make products that will last lifetimes,literally,things that could be handed down generations
but the hard thing is that i have to compete with "CNN"...Cheap N Nasty.
Yes,What i ask for what i make is three or four times the price but if i got a dollar extra
for every time someone came to me with their twelve month old outdoor setting and
asked me to refurbish it because it is falling apart i would be doing really well.

What i do notice tho is the cycle of this,At one time we demanded quality and were prepared
to pay for it,as time went on things were made cheaper,then we demanded them cheaper and
were prepared to overlook real quality for superficiality,Now,as long as it looks good for a period of time
we care not where it was made nor how it was made nor whether it has any substance beyond
the glammer that we are entranced by.

Sad...

Violet.

I hate cheap cr*p and think that many others would agree with me. On the upside, the continual decline of the $USD there will come a time when even the cheap junk from china won't be so cheap anymore. That will force people to start thinking about what they really want and stand for.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Well, I guess America has been doomed, for more decades than I've been alive.

Not to mention that capitalization on laziness in tandem with the Nuclear Arms Race.

We "won" the Cold War but only because one C.I.A. analyst came up with outspending the Russians.

I wish 250% mark-up was the highest profit margin.

Working at 7-11, I saw mark-up of up to 600% on certain items, customers did not truly need.

Of course those companies know people will buy their cheap crap which falls apart easily.

Consumers have become more and more stupid as they learn to be dumbed down by American Idol.

A Credit Rating is only a manipulated sense of self and an artificial self-worth.

The Trillion $$$ Dollar U.S. Economic Deficit Caused By Our Government

Created by banks to make you feel inadequate if you're not as high a credit rating as the Joneses.

Keeping up with the Joneses, think about it, and they call withdrawals "Jonesing".

Withdrawals from being a shopaholic?

The Joneses can kiss my hairy ass.

U.s. National Debt Grows To Large For National Debt Clock

This is just getting more insane and more expensive for our country.

But that's okay.

The Federal Reserve will just print more money and sell more debt to China.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I guess everyone lost interest in this thread...?
Maybe we need to start a Planet X thread to get some attention around here

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Everyone can say what they want about the George Foreman grill.

I've owned two of them, over the last 6 years. Each one cost me 19.99. After three years the Teflon on the first one started to wear off because I used metal spatulas on it too many times.

The one I have now still works great. They cook food fast, reduce the amount of fat in various meats. They don't take up much space or electricity.

How exactly is any of this a bad thing!?! If the grill is crap, then I'm going to say everything you people own is crap, because your standard for "non-crap" is so high nothing can possibly reach it. So what is so bad about the grill? I just don't get it...
edit on 1-3-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join