It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Dies After Three-Day Video Game Binge

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   

www.foxnews.com

BEIJING – A Chinese man died after Internet gaming for three days straight, the Beijing Times reported Tuesday.

The unnamed man, in his thirties, had not slept, had hardly eaten and had barely moved from his computer when he collapsed and slipped into a coma Monday evening at an Internet cafe outside Beijing.

The man, who had reportedly spent more than 10,000 yuan ($1,500) on Internet gaming over the past month, was rushed to a nearby clinic but was pronounced dead a short time afterwards.

Police removed several computers from the cafe for investigation but have ruled out homicide
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Wow, A tragic death but.... it could have been prevented-just by walking away from the dam computer.

That guy must have had some serious medical issues but.. maybe not.

I see this story going vival and the media jumping on the "We must do something about the internet" crowd.

I foresee automatic computer shut-off systems being madatory. Internet Cafes will now be responsible for morons in there.

I wonder if he did while trying to play COD-Black Ops? I wish they would show his internet useage for those days.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I dont believe he died from gaming, he probably died from a health reason of some sort

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
To me, this man is just another contender for Darwin Award of the month. Quite frankly, I hope he was not able to spread genes to any offspring.
I enjoy the odd computer game, and have played a game or two lasting quite a few hours, but fail to understand how anyone could play for so long in some bizarre obsessive compulsive addictive binge.

Reminds me of people who drink themselves to death.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
well if he has a diseases that disables him from eating, drinking and sleeping then it's obvious he would play games.

link   
I wonder what games he played. I've done 3 day binges but one has to eat, drink water, and at least take naps. There is definitely something extremely addictive in some games, it acts like drugs do on the mind and body.
Case in point -

link   
WOW!

Seems it put a strain on his heart. No sleep and no food for that many days will do that to someone esp if he had any kind of health problems.

I know I read about an incident like this last year as well and it was in China too.

I dont see how people can stay up for three days to play a game. I guess I dont understand the addiction because I have zero interest in video games. I'd rather read ATS and learn something than play video games.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
This happens loads in China. Starcraft used to be the game I heard most about when it came to killing gamers. If I remember correctly, a lot of the people I read about who died gaming, died because they weren't eating properly and stuffing their body with stimulants like Jolt cola, strong coffee, ephedrine, etc and after so long, the body just can't take it anymore.

Sad really.

Rev

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
So many questions!

Why did he spend that much, when could buy his own computer?
Why did the police take the pc's to rule out homicide, I mean there are some good gamers but none that can physically kill you...
What game was it?
And most importantly what was his score?

Or maybe it was on-line poker and he made a really bad bluff. OR even on-live Russian roulette??

edit on 23-2-2011 by RANDOMguess because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Is that real?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
There have been a few cases of this in China and I think S Korea too. They didn't result in deaths, but what happens is the circulation becomes very poor and they are more susceptible to blood clots forming. I would be very surprised if this man hadn't died of a blood clot.

If only he had gone for a short walk every few hours would have solved the whole problem.

Here are some links to similar stories:

news.bbc.co.uk...
www.thisisbristol.co.uk...

Probably the best one:

www.wired.com...
edit on 23-2-2011 by Big Raging Loner because: To add links.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I have gone for three 24hr shifts straight on the pc but it was for no game, but i sure as hell made sure i was feeding my body the nutrients required to sustain itself.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Is that real?

Oh yes it's quite real. I know many guys like this, spoiled kids grown up but very similar. Also see "Angry German Kid" on Youtube, and many many more.
I am a former game addict so I have some knowledge on this subject, and some games did start making me act way out of character and inside the realm of sanity. I call these games - visual stimulants, in combo with some pointless level chasing scheme which turns you into a giant hamster on a wheel cranking out hours and dollars playing them online.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I can totally relate and I'm not a gamer. I spent four hours of hell playng wii Carnival games just because my 8 year old was hell bent on buying the alien artifact for 1337 tickets.
My thumbs and shoulders were aching but hey, we bought the artifact.

It's crazy how pixels seem so real and provide such satisfaction as well as stress.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Really sad to hear about this. And although I hope it was a medical condition that took this man from the earth, I know whoever will find a way to tie it back to the net somehow. This is scary though and it really made me think about how much time I've been putting into FIFA 11 (soccer) on my PC. as of late.

It says at the bottom of the report that China has 30 million Internet "addicts".... Hmm. I wonder what that statiistic is for the states?
edit on 23/2/11 by TrowaBarton because: After thought

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
I can totally relate and I'm not a gamer. I spent four hours of hell playng wii Carnival games just because my 8 year old was hell bent on buying the alien artifact for 1337 tickets.
My thumbs and shoulders were aching but hey, we bought the artifact.

It's crazy how pixels seem so real and provide such satisfaction as well as stress.

..simply love it, you see, you might be a moderator here but your 8 year old is high admin and lets see you try and get out of that one, oh lets not forget, if the high admin calls the super admin (wife) then your @ss is grass..hehe

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Every new Mario game does this to me..

When someone sits for more than a few hours it compromises the blood flow in the legs. This can lead to fatal blood clots. Stretching and walking reduces the risk. It is sad, but some of these games are very addictive. Self control is key I suppose.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Oh yes it's quite real. I know many guys like this, spoiled kids grown up but very similar. Also see "Angry German Kid" on Youtube, and many many more.
I am a former game addict so I have some knowledge on this subject, and some games did start making me act way out of character and inside the realm of sanity. I call these games - visual stimulants, in combo with some pointless level chasing scheme which turns you into a giant hamster on a wheel cranking out hours and dollars playing them online.

Sorry but before you post other lies in you anti-video game binge: most of these videos are fake, the one you linked to is fake, the angry german kid is completely fake as there are several versions of the video with different overdubs (from Unreal Tournament to Quake 3) and he made it just for fun to see what reactions he got.

And you don't die from 'too much video games'. That person clearly had some health problems.
I remember the days when we made the LAN parties, they went on for 3-4 days, with barely any sleep,sure we eat and drank enough, but you can 'survive' something like that without any problems.
And most people who play video games have a life, a real life. All those cliches are ridiculous and one should wonder why such extreme cases only happen in Asia.

PS: All the hate for video games on this site is quite ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

hahahaha nice video too bad its fake....why else would he bang on his chest like a gorilla and try to probe himself with a fone?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by anon72

At least it's clear it wasn't after a three-day FOX news binge.
The cause of death would have been very apparent.

Suicide.

- Lee
edit on 23-2-2011 by lee anoma because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join