It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I racist towards Americans?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Having had a heated debate with someone about a topic that had nothing to do with American people I find myself at a loss and could do with your (The general ATS populous whom I generally despise) advise.

I hate the ass end of globalisation, I hate work being outsourced to the East, I hate Apple making their gizmos in China and selling them to the 'cool' folk who believe in capitalism back home, I hate banks being bailed out and education costing a packet, I hate free health care being considered as oppose to jumped upon like any 'developed' nation would, I hate the fact a Black president is hated for the wreck he's cleaning up made by a 'good ol' family boy', I hate Caesar salad coming with Creole croutons and Mexican salsa, I hate GAP clothing and charity dinners and finally I hate household names that a great majority of the world hasn't heard of.

However I don't for a second blame the general American population for any of this. This is progress and this is how it presents itself. Sure many will facilitate this via their taxes, their hobbies and their political alignment. Cool, it comes from having access to perceived liberty, mass production and running water. And fine, the problems our fathers solved grant us the freedoms we now abuse - fine; we are the children of success. We have it easier than others and we don't appreciate it. It's in the handbook and it's expected.

No-one asked to be born American, and no-one asked to die American. With what you have you make the best you can out of it. State borders, football teams and musicians divide you up the same way it does everywhere else on the planet. You are people, you laugh, cry and love like anyone else. You expect people to understand cultural nuances like the 'Bad News Bears' and feel shocked when they don't. I have people who I love dearly who don't understand the Arnold Schwarzenegger line "Stick around" and am appalled when they don't get it.

I am not an American; I am a citizen of this world. Now whilst you may not have red shirts and yellow shirts fighting in your capital or a man who sells fruit burning himself alive due to a permit being put upon him by corrupt police or even a load of truckers holding up traffic by way of stating their case about unfair working conditions I never once looked at you with anything other than a fellow humans eyes.

I am Scottish by birth and that brings with it many 'complaints'. The entire world can understand me apart from my brothers south of the border. I am supposedly tight with money and enjoy alcohol too much. I wear a skirt and eat the arse end of a sheep on special occasions. A cannae change the laws auw physics and play the bagpipes. FREEDOM!! Am noe a feckin buftie!! Chit down Mish Moneypenny. Craig Ferguson. A eat babies. Auld lang syne. Golf. The list goes on and on, don't start me on investors!

Now whilst I renounce my heritage and cultural upbringing as I feel that badge is not needed by a civilised person I still understand people will brand it to me on occasion and I will accept it as it is a perceived truth from them. When I meet or speak with a person, any person, I take them for who they present themselves as and not for what their birthplace states them as being as a cliché of.

So yes, I may make jokes about cilantro not being called coriander and the pronunciation of aluminium or the state of contemporary comedy or popular music. I say this though as a fellow human and as a presentation of how the world, as a whole, sees Americans. I do not override someone's personal opinions or outlook by way of an American 'filter'.

I can take a ribbing at being Scottish - it's cool. When I present back the American façade it would be nice for it to be taken as it is meant; an abstract of a culture and not as a personal attack.

Family Guy and South Park are not exclusive on parody and by existence open up the entire United States, of various rich subcultures, to a similar stance of expression against them.

So in short; whilst you oil producing, alligator farming, lumberjacking, surfing, rapping, silicone valley'ing, conspiring, invading, stock holder owned and horse riding inbreds are still breathing - what you drinking?

-m0r

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
No, because an American is not a race.........

Therefore you couldnt be racist against Americans.........

Im often surprised at the amount of people who do not know the distinction........

especially when they are claiming to be smarter and more civilized then myself........

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
You mean xenophobic.

You can't be racist towards Americans in general because "American" is not a race!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Care to define your overall community categoris(/z)ation then?

I'll happily alter the title to reflect it.

-m0r

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
You answered your own question. When you said that you don't hate the general american population for the actions of the despicable corporations and 1 percenters.

I'm american, and I hate all the things you listed, it's not racism, it's hatred of morons and scummy people.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Well as they say my truth is not your truth, i don't think your anti American, you have your own views of the world as you perceive it but people will try and put you down stand your ground.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
To all those people saying "American isn't a race!" I have to ask; what is a race then?

-m0r

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
google is your friend

1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics

IE , Oriental people, Black people, White people, etc etc etc

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

Race is a consequence of genetics based upon ancestry. Nationality is based upon region of birth or current citizenship.

ETA: Just to be clear, one is an accident of parentage, the other an accident of location. For my money, both labels are superfluous towards judging others on their individual merits.
edit on 2/23/11 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
google is your friend

Just checking here; Mongoloid, Negroid and Caucasian.

Is that it?

Funny how, even though I don't consider myself Scottish anymore, there are racist jokes about the Scots.

Perhaps America got a 'Get out of jail free' card for being defined

-m0r

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Nice rant. Personally I like rum.

I don' think there is anything wrong with being proud of ones heritage, it is who we are and where we come from, but just don't expect anything special because of one's heritage. Another part of that coin is that where ever you go, you are a representative of your own kind, so behave accordingly, so that people are left with a good impression of your kind.

I think it is safe to say, the world is pretty much turned upside down at the current time.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   

It's the same argument in regards to illegal immigration. When I say, as I often do, that all illegal Mexicans here in the US should be rounded up and deported or thrown in prison for invading our country I am called a racist. This isn't possible because Mexican is not a race, it is a nationality descriptive of someone from Mexico. For instance, even though I am white if I were born and raised in Mexico I too would be a Mexican, but my race is Caucasian regardless of where I am born, raised or reside.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Hey man, I'm down with you.

So the semantics (my playground!) of the word 'racist' is what we are talking about.

I don't know whose fault it is but if me called a Scot a jock is racist then racism doesn't mean nationalitism.

If only Noam Chomsky were alive we could clear this up.

-m0r

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
What is race?

www.thefreedictionary.com...

America doesn't fall into that category ( Not even number 4, ask any Mexican national) because there is no one type of genetic make up that defines, or predominates in, this country. Scotland, yes. Germany, yes. Russia, yes. Why? Because you don't have everyone and their mother emigrating to those countries looking for a "better life" for centuries on end breeding their own "race" among all the other different ones.

They say America is the melting pot. I tend to see it a witch's cauldron filled with the best and the worst the world has to offer. A recipe that no other country in the world has cooked before. The more ingredients that are added the more flavor you're going to have, and it will always be an acquired taste, like spinach, that you will either love or hate.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime

It's the same argument in regards to illegal immigration. When I say, as I often do, that all illegal Mexicans here in the US should be rounded up and deported or thrown in prison for invading our country I am called a racist. This isn't possible because Mexican is not a race, it is a nationality descriptive of someone from Mexico. For instance, even though I am white if I were born and raised in Mexico I too would be a Mexican, but my race is Caucasian regardless of where I am born, raised or reside.

Just say, who's the racist now, not all illegal immigrants come from Mexico.

edit on 23-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Well, buddy, you sound... complicated. I doubt we'd agree on much but you'd be surprised by what we'd agree upon.

In short, no, you aren't racist towards Americans because "American" is not a 'race'. Now, if you want to talk about the relative merits of _cultures_ as measured by various yardsticks, that's a whole `nother ball of worms.

As to what I'm drinkin'? Cheap whiskey mixed with water. And cigarettes.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
yes you're a racist

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

You say you hate "globalisation", but later in your rant call yourself a "citizen of the world" implying you owe no allegiance to any country.

Sounds like the same thing to me.

*yawn*

Next topic please ...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
You say you hate "globalisation", but later in your rant call yourself a "citizen of the world" implying you owe no allegiance to any country.

Speaka da English??

Understando da concepto dat da worldo is all connectedo?

Ever leavea da country?

Only speaka ona da interneto?

OK - I am either racist (If only in the nationalistic fashion) or can't be arsed with dumbasses.

For those of you unable to Google the word 'globalisation' it means all the stuff you see around you made elsewhere for cheaper and why your dad has taken to the bottle. I was hoping the outsourced work being mentioned would have clocked in with even the simplest mentality - but look a foofey!

-m0r

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by m0r1arty
To all those people saying "American isn't a race!" I have to ask; what is a race then?

-m0r

American is not a "race" per-say. America is a combination of many races/cultures that formed a union. Therefore I am an american born german/irish people of the united states of america.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join