It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand's Darkest Day In Pictures

page: 1

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Here is the story in pictures of the latest deadly quake that hit New Zealand where nearly 400 people have died or are missing in Christchurch.

Heartfelt condolences to the families of those who’ve lost their near and dear ones.

A group of people travel with Glacier Explorers to see one of the many icebergs that caved into Tasman Lake as a result of the 6.3-magnitude earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand, on Feb. 22.

Several of the icebergs that caved into Tasman Lake are seen from the air.

Fifteen-year-old Kent Manning (left) and his sister Libby, 18, react with their father, who asked not to identified, after they were told by police that there was no hope of finding Kent and Libby's mother alive in a collapsed building.

The astonishing impact of the earthquake is seen in this rail line, buckled by the shifting earth, in a photo by AFP's Marty Melville.

An injured person is carried by rescue workers

The 6.3-magnitude quake hit at the height of a busy workday, toppling tall buildings and churches, crushing buses, and killing dozens of people in one of the country's worst natural disasters.

A building in Christchurch, New Zealand, destroyed after the earthquake.[/ats]

Rescue workers stand near the collapsed CTV building that housed the King's Education Group

Rescue workers sift through the debris of a collapsed building.

Source:
www.live5newz.com...
www.csmonitor.com...
www.nola.com...
liveislive.org...
www.news.com.au...
www.news.com.au...
www.news.com.au...
fxnonstop.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OrionHunterX

Unbelievable pictures and an absolute tradegy. I know alot of people laugh at the 2012 theory but I really hope these current events really aren't a build up to something bigger.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   

The pain in those childrens faces who lost their mum is unbearable. The whole thing is just devastating. Actually, from the beginning of January, there have been so many devastations one after another.
Good work OP showing this story in pictures. Thankyou.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Here is an interactive before and after photo setup.

Here

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Tephra

Wow! Thanks for that link, Tephra!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

I can't stand looking at these photos, the pain in their faces is unbearable.

I plead with God or whatever is up there to bring happiness to these people, no one deserves this.

GodForbid.

edit on 23-2-2011 by GodForbid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The amount of devastation is unbelievable. I wonder if they are receiving aide from other countries? I read somewhere that a state of emergency was declared.
I hope and pray the people there are kept safe and that those who lost their loved ones and are experiencing this tragedy first hand make it through this overwhelmingly traumatic experience. I've never experienced an earthquake firsthand before, so I cant even begin to imagine how things must be down there.
edit on 23-2-2011 by matrixportal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Absolutely terrible. Such a loss of life and destruction of beautiful buildings and landmarks.

The weight of the crying teenagers didn't really hit home until I read their reason for being upset. Losing your belongings is bad enough, but loved ones? Thats nearly unbearable, especially at a young age. I've seen the sudden loss of a parent completely destabilize and ruin a friends life. Even now, nearly 5 years later, the impact of it still carries weight.

I don't follow American media very much anymore, but I haven't seen more than a snippet in the university paper and haven't heard anyone discussing it in any of my classes. It's kind of sad. Usually, you can at least hear students discussing things of this magnitude before or in between lectures. Then again, I doubt most of my classmates could locate NZ on a map.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Woah I had no idea it was this bad........We can expect more of this very soon.

Eye opening thread

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Why are we so miserable? Why is live so cruel ?
WHY IS THERE LIFE AFTER ALL? Gosh
. I feel like jumping out of the window right now.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I want to go help. I don't have too much, but I have a strong back, two hands, and a heart that will give comfort. Who can we contact to assist? Does anyone know? If someone finds out, please, let me know. I don't have money, but I have a willingness to travel if need be. Please, send me a message, if anyone finds out anything.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing these pictures. I found the one of those kids the hardest to look at. The pain on their faces broke my heart and I'm crying for them. To know that there will be so many others facing such heartache is just...... I have no words.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Heartbreaking images - I knew it was bad but looking at the images somehow makes it all
more real. The faces of the children, the little lady sitting in a crate/box (she looks so lost), the destruction of historical buildings and to know that people are under the rubble. Difficult to describe my feelings - it hurts.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
This is so sad, I studied in Christchurch for a year, it's so strange to see it damaged this way, it's a beautiful place and very friendly people. I will pray for these people.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I would like to say "forget the new Madrid fault line" but that would not occur. What I will say is that this is what's going on NOW and is part of our immediate reality. All my best to New Zealand and all those who have lost something and perhaps even everything!

SnF

Peace & respect,

AS
edit on 23-2-2011 by AeonStorm because: added + snf

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
The pictures captured here only show some of the devistation in christchurch! in the suburbs thousands of tonnes of sand (liquafaction) has ruined many homes. The whole city is sitting on what is best described as (a tarp covering a pool) like jelly. The central buisness district has been closed for 2weeks with speculation that it could be for up to 4 months! 1 1/4 of the cbd has been condeemed to be pulled down. Alot of people still without power and water! the pictures dont show the true devistation created from this earthquake

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The pain of losing one's home. Their life's savings destroyed in seconds!

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Amazing photo taken from the Port Hills overlooking Christchurch when the quake hit. Almost looks like something magnetic going on between the dust and the clouds...

new topics

top topics

join