It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Price of gold?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I must be really off..because watching en Episode of Outcasts it dawned on me -

What does it mean?

Diamonds, Gold, etc? Why do they actually matter to the average person?

Sure, diamonds make nice cutting tools - wow. Gold is used in many things, super..

But why do people strive to have diamonds and gold rings?

I just do not get it.

If we were to be in a SHTF situ - would they still be as valid a currency? WHY?

you cannot eat them, you cant make food from them, you can't say to man with loads of food "Here have this jewel, and give me all your stock!"

At the end of the day they are Meaningless..

WTF am I looking at 4000 dollar rings in catalogues for ?????????????

can someone tell me? I just do not get it.... at all..

Oo

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
That is a tough question. I'll take the gold argument. Gold has an "intrinsic" value. As an absolute value the answer has to be no. In a SHTF situation in my opinion barter items such as coffee, wheat, corn meal, blankets, clothing, etc. is what will have the most value in the short term.

The only actual value humans can make regarding anything is the value of life. (and preserving that life) and even that seems to lack value at times.

Rare metals (gold, silver, platinum, etc.) has, however, usefulness in electronics and other devices. The thing about these items, gold especially is that it does not tarnish, rust, is hard to destroy or change. Therefore, it has it's value based in those basic facts - it is always there and cannot be created.

However you cannot pay for a home with blankets. Gold, yes. Merchandise, no. Therefore, gold does have value in a particular situation as do diamonds, silver, etc..

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
The only reason why things like gold and paper money are worth something, is simply because enough people believe it is worth something therefore they are willing to trade with them.
edit on 23/2/2011 by BarmyBilly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Hehe I know what you mean, but from what the Great Al Murry said. "Taxes were made for one thing, to pay for the war against the French!"..."Yeah you like it now don't ya?!?"..."But! considering we are still paying taxes, why don't we have another war with the French!?!?!?!"

So yeah, fried Frenchman anyone?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Maybe its just all part of waking up to materialism.

You want the shiny object? Run hard enough on our 9-5 hamster wheel and you too may get the carrot one day (or is that 24-carrot?). There's still room at the top you know, then one day you can sit in on the throne of the kingdom powered by hamster slaves.

Just don't go leaking the secret that the carrot don't taste good.

Be careful mate soon you'll be living naked on a hippie commune.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Gold is simply driven by a widespread belief that the economies of the world are going to collapse and that gold is going to be the future currency.

Truthfully nobody can predict what will happen, but arming yourself is a better decision than blowing all your funds on gold.

To answer the broader question, Gold is simply a substance, rare enough that it can be used widespread as a currency, but cannot be acquired easily otherwise. This is not true for most things. You cannot use leaves as currency for example.
edit on 23-2-2011 by Tephra because: (no reason given)

top topics

join