It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States raising sales taxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

States raising sales taxes

money.msn.com

President Obama's proposed budget calls for tax increases mainly on the well-to-do and rich. But many states are already raising the one big tax that falls disproportionately upon the poor.

In 2010 the average combined sales tax bite rose by a full percentage point, reaching 9.64% at the year end, according to an annual report from Vertex, which calculates sales taxes for Internet sellers. That's the highest rate since the Berwyn, Pa., firm started calculating the number in 1982 and the second year in a row that it has set a record.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Honestly, I don't know where to go with this.

The booby prize goes to a newcomer: Tuba City, Ariz., and environs. It's a Navajo Indian Reservation town of 8,200 on the colorful Painted Desert that sits on one of the main routes to the Grand Canyon. The levy is a whopping 13.725% -- nearly $1 on every $7 spent. It's the sum of Arizona's 6.6% tax, Coconino County's 1.125% and a tribal 6%.

Is that even fair? State AND County charging taxes on a Native American Reserve? However no mention of Federal taxations... peculiar.

I didn't know States had treaty and taxation powers with NA Nations since they were supposed to be sovereign nations within our boundaries.

I'm sickened by all this- it's not enough that they tax what you earn, then tax again when you buy. It's a "progressive" tax on what you earn and a "flat" tax on what you buy.
They tax you for things you don't have (school taxes when you don't have children), and tax you for things you don't want... twice (universal healthcare).

Gone are the days of city hall meetings where the lawmakers met to solve problems. Now they meet to create problems that require further meetings to solve. ENOUGH MF LAWS! Fix things when they're broken; don't break them so you can fix them. It's time for an overhaul of the Electorate system, and DON'T TAX me for doing it.

money.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
My old state just raised it a quarter percent. Along with it's gas and cigarette taxes. Gotta milk those poor people for all they got you know. Funny is all those poor people just elected the states first dem gov in like twenty years on a whole "eat the rich" campaign.

My new state hasn't raised a thing and still has no sales tax and is well into the black.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
My old state just raised it a quarter percent. Along with it's gas and cigarette taxes. Gotta milk those poor people for all they got you know. Funny is all those poor people just elected the states first dem gov in like twenty years on a whole "eat the rich" campaign.

My new state hasn't raised a thing and still has no sales tax and is well into the black.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

All I can say is "go figure?" If one's having trouble getting by, the battle cry is "it's the rich". Who else are the poor supposed to blame, right? Obviously, you don't blame the elected officials 'cause they've been elected to represent the people.... meh, mack, hack, cough, oh- whatever.

If your "new" home allows you the costs of living associated with incomes along the lines of the 50's, you're doing good.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I have no problem with the states taxing more. INFACT, I think we should do away with Federal taxes all together and pay all that money, instead, to our states. maybe then we wouldnt be in this pickle.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
I have no problem with the states taxing more. INFACT, I think we should do away with Federal taxes all together and pay all that money, instead, to our states. maybe then we wouldnt be in this pickle.

I could "maybe" go for that, so long as the money goes- proportionally- where it's needed. Most should go to the state, and maybe the left-overs go to the Fed. Heck, I might not even argue money going to the Fed first as long as they account for every 0.001 cent (1/1000 of a penny) spent and send the rest back to the state it came from, not taking from peter to pay paul and pimp out mary....

new topics

top topics

join