It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chinese Produce New Type of Sub

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Recently, the Washington Times reported that the Chinese have produced and deployed a new class of submarine. Apparently, we became aware of the new sub AFTER it was deployed and had no knowledge of its development. Officials believe the deployment indicates a shift in the naval policies of China toward a more agressive stance and possible reclamation of Taiwan.

www.washtimes.com
China's naval buildup has produced a new type of attack submarine that U.S. intelligence did not know was under construction, according to U.S. defense and intelligence officials.

The submarine was spotted several weeks ago for the first time and has been designated by the Pentagon as the first Yuan-class of submarine.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In this case the sub is a non-nuclear design, but that doesn't exactly mitigate my concerns regarding our relative ignorance of developing Chinese weapons systems. If they could sneak a diesel sub past us, I wonder how far their missles reach and how much their warheads blow up. We may have no idea.

[edit on 7-16-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Are you telling me, the Chinese espionage units are so good they can walk out of US high security areas like Los Alamos with stuff all the time, but the CIA and the NSA cant get any spies in to identify ahead of time something as huge as a sub?

- Was

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Ya it does seem pretty sad that our intelligence is so terrible, after all the great work it had done during the long Cold War. Looks like our intell wont be that good ever again.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
You guys are misinformed the informed how do you know the Chinese took the info at los Alamos and this sub was only a surprise that they announced to the world that they have it so soon not that we didn't know they had it and its not a threat to US SSN

Have a nice day

new topics

top topics

join