It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York bans smoking outside

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I mean come on.

New York bans smoking in parks

NEW YORK — New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has signed into law a ban on smoking in city parks, beaches, public plazas and boardwalks.

The ban goes into effect 90 days after Tuesday’s signing.

Seriously, banning smoking in parks and on beaches? Control freak much?

I don't smoke, but this is freaking ridiculous.
edit on 23-2-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I'm not a smoker and i agree that's takeing it way to far that's just nuts! Sounds like Prohibition days ..sheesh whats next?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
I mean come on.

New York bans smoking in parks

NEW YORK — New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has signed into law a ban on smoking in city parks, beaches, public plazas and boardwalks.

The ban goes into effect 90 days after Tuesday’s signing.

Seriously, banning smoking in parks and on beaches? Control freak much?

I don't smoke, but this is freaking ridiculous.

Yes, this is absolutely ridiculous. What on earth is happening? We have a politician in GA trying to put forward a law to charge any abortion or miscarriage as a crime, and meanwhile in New York the mayor signs law in effect banning smoking outside. Where on earth do these people come off? Aside from the invasion of freedoms in this country, how is New York and other states going to gather funds to enforce these laws? It is no wonder we can't pay off our debt, this is crazy. I don't smoke but seriously.

Bloomburg better run for his money, folks ain't ganna take this lightly.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I feel bad saying this...but I'm glad. Nothing ticks me off more when I'm trying to enjoy the great outdoors than breathing in a bunch of stinky second hand smoke. Why should I have to suffer because of your nasty ass habit?
Smoke at home......and disgust your own family, stink up your own things, and leave my air the way it was intended to be. When your rights intrude on my personal space I have an issue. The same should be done for women and men who put on gallons of disgusting fragrance. I'm all for that too. I can't stand being forced to smell something that makes me ill.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by lostviking

Of course there was bound to be someone to post that. You know, freedom isn't free.
So man up. Cigs smoke ain't that bad, I'm sure you inhale worst things everyday... just walking in the streets and you breath exhaust gases.

Let's say I like the smell of certain flowers... but you're allergic, time to ban those flowers too right?

This is about government control and taxes, not about ``health``...

The ``I don't like it, so ban it all`` mentality is a pain in the butt... and move us towards fascism, because you'll always find someone who hates something and wants to ban it all.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostviking
I feel bad saying this...but I'm glad. Nothing ticks me off more when I'm trying to enjoy the great outdoors than breathing in a bunch of stinky second hand smoke. Why should I have to suffer because of your nasty ass habit?

Cars are worse. They get fumes everywhere, putting the most active smoker to shame in mere seconds.

Why should I have to suffer because of people's lazy ass transport habits?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Well, I do smoke, and this makes me very happy that I don't live in New York.
It's like, we're outside! Go make sure that cars are banned from driving before you come bother me.
I hate this kind of petty, stupid, invasive crap.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
let's do an experiment.

Let's put a test subject in an enclosed garage.
Crank up a vehicle in that closed garage and leave
it running, and then give that subject a pack of cigs
and tell him he can smoke.

Now which do you think will kill the subject first?
The car or the cigs ???

Aren't there thousands of cars and trucks driving
by these same cig banned places???

Maybe we should ban all the vehicles in NY City
while we're at it?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Wow how do they intend to inforce this? How many officers does new york have just hanging out at the stations? My bet isnt enough for this.

Im an avid non-smoker and absolutly abhore the smell of tabacco but enless u stand next to a smoker in a freaking PARK then you wont smell them. And keep in mind New York park is nice but its not exactly a sphere of scentless nature.

This is just isnt even a moral or health thing for those inacting this policy. Its a power move, just trying to get the lable "Saved our parks for our children". Dont fall for it.

Its just infringing on the rights of a group already publicly attacked for the right to do what they want to their bodys

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
yep, def time for a great American smoke-out
in central park. thousands of smokers gather
and puff their cigs. time to open dem dare
femer camps.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I live here and haven't heard of that. Good luck getting people to stop smoking. With all the other bull# around this city, I don't think the cops are gonna care....unless maybe its the end of the month.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Some say smoking is a waste of money. I'd rather point out that this law is a waste of money (among other things).

Not to derail or anything, but if you agree with this legislation then tell me why corporations are getting deregulation on toxic waste removal and cleanup.

Hypocrisy astounding.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
new york used to rock.

now you guys suck.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
You can still smoke inside

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Yup, just forget those guys in vans with bombs, time to put the hammer down on those horrible smokers...
More stupid from the stupid.

PLUS: All the tourists from foreign countries are going to be hit with tickets, they are used to smoking where they want to.

OH, I almost forgot, the air near ground zero.... its perfectly fine to breath.
edit on 23-2-2011 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by lostviking

because you suck and are a control freak.

why do you think you want other people you don't know, act in certain ways?

can i interview people you do know?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by lostviking
Smoke at home......and disgust your own family, stink up your own things, and leave my air the way it was intended to be. When your rights intrude on my personal space I have an issue. The same should be done for women and men who put on gallons of disgusting fragrance. I'm all for that too. I can't stand being forced to smell something that makes me ill.

Just saying....why SHOULDN'T you have to suffer because of my "nasty" habit? Seriously....here in Iowa, the first thing to go for smokers was most restaurants, fine, totally understandable. Then it was campuses. Again...fine. Then it was the workplace, to the point where farmers cannot smoke in their PRIVATELY OWNED equipment! Then, get this, apparently non-smokers felt so outraged that they had to go to "no smoking" bars if they didn't want to be around second hand smoke, it became banned in ALL bars. Now, don't get me wrong...I don't force my smoking habit on anyone, however....who is to stop a private business owner from posting a sign that warns of an establishment being a smoking establishment? Seeing as how for years non-smokers could venture to NON-SMOKING establishments...and the smokers who visited those establishments followed the rules. How can the tax on tobacco be raised and raised over and over again, while smoking is made illegal NEARLY everywhere? Now the big deal in Iowa, is the same people who are banning smoking all over the state, and the same people juicing up the sales tax on cigarettes, are the same people bitching and moaning that smokers who choose to quit receive help from state funded programs. You can't have things both ways, and sooner or later non-smokers need to just kiss everyone else's ass. Suck it up. If you don't want to be around second hand smoke because nothing "ruins your day more" than a stroll in a park and encountering a person who is doing the same, only having a cigarette, then avoid that person. Avoid that bar. Avoid that eatery, And certainly, avoid that bar. My God....it isn't hard to comprehend, and it's a fairly simple course of action to take.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Something stupid like that is just going to make people want to break more laws.
But then again our ignorance lets people do these types of things to us.Its only a matter
of time untill theres a ban on something else we see as stupid like eating in public or reading
on a city bus.Things are way to out of hand these days.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Oh, and to further elaborate on my point. Just recently I was OUTSIDE of a bar that was smoking permitted for 60+ years, smoking in the "designated smoking area", when a woman, probably similar to yourself in personality, started bitching about my cigarette smoke. Words I definitely heard out of her mouth: "That cigarette stinks".....so go inside and drink your beer you dizzy bitch! What's next? No smoking in smoking areas?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
ha ha,yeah in san diego its against the law to smoke on the beaches and at trolly stations and bus stops,and the 25 foot law in washington as well as public transit areas, its getting way out of hand,cant do anything anymore,well......@#%! it, do it anyways what are they gonna do,make u pay a fine,people need to realize their true sovereignty and they cant make u do anything, its just a bunch of bullying, if everyone would just put their foot down and say i am mad as hell and im not gonna take it anymore!!!!!!!!

remember the worst thing they can take from u is your mind,everything else is throw pillows diversions and cheap chinese crap, and to that C u next tuesday ban it cuzz i dont like it attitude, you have the utmost liberty to speak your mind and it needs to be protected, because these are oppinions and we all have one, heres mine, WHAT ABOUT THE F'ING CARS!!, THE CHEM TRAILS!!! AND EVERY OTHER MASS TOXIN DISTRIBUTORS!!! we live in the most disgusting,sinful,evil seduced,depraved soon to be tyrannical nation, the last thing we need are whiny little neopseudo republicidal liberals running around complaining about a 3 inch smoldering stick,other people enjoy them,i smoke and i hate when people deliberately walk towards me when im smoking just to wave their snuty hands and muster a fake cough,get real. heres an idea,legalize everything and see what happens,i bet it will be order out of chaos not by the globalist agenda but by having the human potential thrive,nuff said

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join