It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No other Life and We are Alone!?!... might be Better off...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I would say most of the Earths population thinks there is a higher being somewhere out there, or here.
This thinking, in my opinion, allows us to act like children.
Which I think most of the people on Earth do, also, if not all. And why not? That always gives us a Mommy (or Daddy) to cry to when we are bad.
Kinda like knowing someone else is at the wheel.

If somehow we found out that we were it, there is no other life, spiritial or any kind of magical beings out there. We are it and are totally on our own, in this great big Universe, or whatever it is.

Do you think we might act responsible with a little more caution and civility, as far as our World and each other, knowing we were all there was?

Maybe act more...'grownup'?

Just thinking out loud...

edit on 22-2-2011 by earth2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2011 by earth2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Instead of thinking out loud, think mathematically and ask the same question...

Drake Equation

I'm not saying there is life out there, I'm just saying there's a pretty decent chance
edit on 22-2-2011 by SpreadLoveNotHate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I would say most of the Earths population thinks there is a higher being somewhere out there, or here.
This thinking, in my opinion, allows us to act like children.
Which I think most of the people on Earth do, also, if not all. And why not? That always gives us a Mommy (or Daddy) to cry to when we are bad.
Kinda like knowing someone else is at the wheel.

If somehow we found out that we were it, there is no other life, spiritial or any kind of magical beings out there. We are it and are totally on our own, in this great big Universe, or whatever it is.

Do you think we might act responsible with a little more caution and civility, as far as our World and each other, knowing we were all there was?

Maybe act more...'grownup'?

Just thinking out loud...

I think religion treats people like kids and the priest etc are the mommy and daddy. Getting rid of religion would be a start to a more harmonious existance on this rock

Im not religious....but i believe in science

Look at the numbers....300 sextillion stars in the known universe...millions with a star like ours and the same distance away.

Life doesnt have to conform to here on earth...i mean people always go on about the goldilocks chain...but thats assuming life elsewhere requires the same conditions...which it clearly doesnt. So there may be millions of planets like ours....but could be trillions or quadrillions of planets harbouring life.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

Well if we use math like you say, then you have to add the equation that we are it and alone. Right?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

All of those little dots are not stars, but galaxies, that is right, tens of billions of galaxies, each one is sure to contain at least one advanced alien empire of some sort.

It is impossible we're alone out there.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This is the first i'm hearing of this particular theory.

I like the idea.

So you're saying that we should be more proactive in our development and live like there's no backup plan. (god, aliens intervene from us destroying ourselves)

Now we have a rough idea of what development is, and what is preventing us from developing.

I can't contribute much to this topic, wish i could.
But for now, i really do like the idea.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Sadly, no I do not think it would change anything beyond the reasons given as the excuse to continue raping the planet and killing each other.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I think it was Arthur C. Clarke who said something to the effect of: Either we are alone in the universe or we aren't, and if you think of it, either one of these two conditions would say amazing and awe-inspiring things about the universe and out place in it..

What we all need is a little more awe anyway. The feeling of awe is what gives life meaning, dignity, and zest.

"When a sense of awe is lost, there will be disaster." -Tao te Ching

edit on 2/23/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I know there are other beings out there, I read a book once that told me so. I'd name it but ya'll'd laugh at me and the topic would steer off the OP's road. Knowledge is Power!

In honesty, we don't act like children as you'd believe. Look at the innocence of children anywhere and look at greed of adults. If we, the adults in the world acted more child-like the world would be a better place. Full of mudpies and spitballs. Sure there are some poor examples. The kid that knocked over your blocks in school or the girl that kicked you in the shin and ran away. The main jist of it, if we would act child-like, it'd be for the best.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Have you ever been through K-12 education? Children are tiny monsters. Where's the innocence is bullying kids who are different? The only thing keeping children in line are the authority figures.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

I suspect just the opposite, we would have no good reason so questions our beastly tendencies nor to strive for something higher.

I'm not religious, but I strongly believe that we were given religions to curb our cruder behaviors. (Not by a real God, but by wise ETs.) Religions are bad in one way because they are used to control people, but on the other hand, the basic rules of--and purpose of--most religions is to support social order, not destroy it--unless, of course, a neighboring religion interfers with your religious beliefs, and then it is ok, and God's "will" to smash the other one!

Religions give us the hint then, for further thought that there is something out there that we should think about and pay attention to. So, it is virtually an automatic step that eventually Science would come along and simply justify that concept with math such as the Drake equation.

Actually, if you wanted to prove the existence of God-like ETs, can could just do a bit of tinkering with carrying your Drake equation a bit further into Kardashev's equations for the possible developments of technological capabilities of ETS. But why stop with technological capabilities? Why not throw mental capabilities in there also which allows us to fabricate God-like capabilities for the more advanced ETs. --There is virtually no end...we come full circle. In short, we should take notice of how we behave, either way, someone is watching.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Wow I never thought about it like that but I like the idea. Personally I don't know if there is a higher power and I know others don't actually know even though they have their "beliefs" which is fine. But I think either way people do need to "grow up" and start taking responsibility for their actions and behaviors, the planet and human race would greatly benefit.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

Tiny monsters? haha while that might hold some truth you have to go deeper than seeing the final result. Newborn babies are blank slates who are then influenced by the outside world, so if children are tiny monsters, how does that reflect upon us? The majority of us are just bigger monsters, and a small portion of the bigger monsters posses some linguistic skills that enable them to cover up and fool simpler minded.individuals.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
We live in a reverse soceity - all our leaders, of all countries, are primitives. The more advanced and mature individuals are also a minority, as usually, when growing up, primitive instincts serve to oppress the intelligent. When they fight and kill each other, and also when they gain access to "science" they are given the impression that they have "intelligence", and this is also a problem for people of a mature consciousness. You will find, that the normal people are everywhere, however have a small voice, and generally go unnoticed. The crazy people are a minority, however, they are in control, they are generally our teachers, leaders, law enforcement, and also they have a stranglehold of the media. Anyway, im sure they have thier own justifications, but at the core, they are insecure and afraid, paradoxically, either turning to the dark-side of the mystic sciences, or to the highly materialistic sciences, as a form of comfort from the unknown.

Basically, we should be giving them the orders, however, they only elect thier "own kind" to positions of power, because they are intimidated by genuinley intelligent and mature individuals. Often when they expose their true natures, they are beautifully innocent and childlike, however, they suffer from thier knowledge, a dark area of consciousness that causes them to repress themselves, and also to become aggressive and egotistical.

edit on 23-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

top topics

join