It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name the F-35

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
hmmm
F35 phoenix
f35 hummingbird
F35 pooping pidgeon.
nightmare

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
How about Noclaf?? or maybe the Parakeet?
(Noclaf Falcon)

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
F-35 Golden Eagle

The Golden Eagle is one of only two eagles that resides in the United States. Stronger and larger than the bald eagle, this bird is so strong, it is rarely found in zoos.

Thats one kick A$$ American bird of prey

According to Lockheed media, "Normally, nicknames are made around the time of first flight...that will be end of 2005."

[edit on 1-8-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
F35 Raven
F35 Raven Hawk
F35 Angel Fire
F35 Angel Wing
F35 King Vulture
F35 Sky King
F35 Valkyrie
Ahh that's bout all I can think of, not an easy thing to name.

I kind of like the "Sky King", not a bird but not too far from the idea.

[edit on 1-8-2004 by Dakuma]

posted on Aug, 1 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T
At least not that, wing of JSF is optimized for subsonic fly/slower speeds.

And if you want to see "used" nicknames go there:
web.mit.edu...

Cool link E_T but what was with the U2'S nickname "Useless Deuce" Is this because it just takes pictures or something?

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   

F-35 Golden Eagle

The Golden Eagle is one of only two eagles that resides in the United States. Stronger and larger than the bald eagle, this bird is so strong, it is rarely found in zoos.

The Golden Eagle is a rare and big bird wingspan 6.6 feet. But there is another bird that might be a good name for the F-35 Steller's Sea-Eagle its the 3rd largest eagle in the world only 3rd t the golden and bald eagle.

[edit on 2-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I found a site that wants it to be named Phoenix.Heres some of his case why it should be called the Phoenix

Call it The Phoenix, the bird that rises from ashes

Societal. The Phoenix is a mythical bird that periodically burned itself to death and emerged from the ashes as a new Phoenix. According to most stories, the rebirth of the Phoenix happened every five hundred years. Only one Phoenix at a time.

To "rise Phoenix-like from the ashes" is to overcome a seemingly insurmountable setback. Seems our country is in the process of doing this. I would think that all those families, friends, firefighters and police officers that suffered directly at the hands of the terrorists might appreciate an airplane acknowledging America's enduring spirit in the face of adversity.

Physical. The Short-Takeoff-Vertical-Landing version virtually "rises" during its takeoff and landing. The image of an F-35 rising up in its takeoff phase or landing creates a compelling similarity to the Phoenix rising from the ashes.

www.info-strategies.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I think in order to 'work' a name must be snappy, ie Spitfire, Eagle, Raptor - as opposed to Velociraptor, yuk! For me 'Fighting Falcon' never worked as a name, whereas with a Mustang or an Eagle you know where you are

Thats why I was thinking more like F-35 Kestrel, which is really most apt for the USMC/British version as it recalls the worlds first V/STOL fighter the HS Kestrel, or F-35 Scimitar, named for a lethal weapon, or how about the F-35 Venom? I think when you are thinking of names with two or three words in them you are losing the plot somewhat.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Kestrel reminds me too much of a useless aircraft in Microsoft's Crimson skies

They really are poor aircraft in that game....although from that game I did quite like the name Bloodhawk, do you think Microsoft would sue if they used it
?

[edit on 2/8/04 by Infidellic]

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If you want to continue the bird line, kestrel is about the only one not is use., unless you want to use vulture, kite, or racer.

If you don't care about the bird monikers, then anything goes. I vote for...thunderbird

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
That kids movie thats coming out kind of ruins the name thunderbird. Man the movie looks how should I say it, lame.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
What about snake names they are pert kool and catch Cobra, Viper, Python... and many others. Although I do like the phoenix as the best one of all.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Yeah all the good stuff is taken. The Phoenix makes sense except for the fact that the missle system kind of causes confusion. Especially seeing as the missle system is quite famous. How about something along the lines of "chaos" seeing as stealth planes flying over your territory can turn into chaos. Or why not just stick the F-35 with Lightning II. Considering the F-22 Raptor doesn't use it why not.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
or F-35 Scimitar, named for a lethal weapon, or how about the F-35 Venom?

Isn't a Scimitar a middle eastern weapon? Indo-Persian to be exact to close for my taste

I like F-35 Venom, what about

F-35 Cobra
F-35 Reaper
F-35 Wraith

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I like Reaper. But as for Wraith well the F-35 bears to much resemblence to the Wraiths in the game Starcraft. The USAF might want to aviod that due to copyright laws and such. Plus people will be convinced the USAF gets all their ideas from Starcraft. It would still be cool though. How about the F-35 Dagger. Considering its more of a close range fighter.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Dagger could work

As of July 29, 2002 the following countries are involved with the F-35 JSF: United Kingdom, Italy, Netherlands, Turkey, Canada & Norway.

All these countries have used daggers in thier history

A dagger is a easily concealable weapon. Often it has been the weapon of choice for assasins throughout history

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I do like Phoenix, but I also like Venom (natch-as I said it:lol
and Viper, and I've also thought of 'Havoc'. This is quite apt for a ground attack type "It does exactly what it says on the tin". Maybe that quote doesn't work outside the UK?

Hmmm, F-35B Havoc? Havoc F/A.1? Not too sure, but its short and snappy, not sure about Dagger either but can't think why, its a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I love the name Havoc. I use it in online multiplayer games all the time. One problem with it being a fighter, its taken by a Russian helicopter gunship.

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It was only assigned as a NATO reporting name, but has it been adopted officially by Mil? With it being so cool an' all

posted on Aug, 2 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Havoc would be a cool name for sure
it has a nice ring to it

Cyberdude78 when I threw out the name Wraith I was thinking about the Ringwraiths in Lord of the Rings. Thats funny its the name of a fighter in Starcraft also.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join