It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name the F-35

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Raven does have a nice ring to it but I'm not sure if names associated with aircraft that were in service so recently would ever be chosen?

Ah yes, the EF-111 was known as the Raven. I forgot about that one. As I said, not many bird names left...

There is a bird called the Shrike that might be a possibility. Though a small bird, it is quite a hunter and is known for impaling its prey on thorns or barbed wire. The first anti-radiation missile was called Shrike (forerunner of today's HARM), but I don't believe the name has ever been used for a military aircraft.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
I believe the naval version is the F-35B. I would call it Prometheus.

Well it sounds better then X-303

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
the sea shadow wouldn't work because it's the name of the US naval stealth test bed (stealth ship, also used in a bond movie, i forget the name of it)

i liked that suggestion too, shadow and sea shadow, until i remembered that

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

I believe the naval version is the F-35B. I would call it Prometheus.

Well it sounds better then X-303

That is true.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 01:43 AM
link   
F-35 Raven II or F-35 Predator.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
As you know the Predator name is used for an Air Force UAV.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   

As you know the Predator name is used for an Air Force UAV.

I know, but that sounds good
. Or maybe Mustang II?

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   
That reminds me, looking through an old copy of flight international it was debating the naming of fighter planes and jokingly referred to 'Jane's Plane Names To Make Your Eyes Water'

It referred to many old British planes like the Gloster Gnatsnapper and Boulton Paul Bobolink and compared them with modern fighter names like Eagle and Jaguar making the point that you do have to put some thought into the aptness of a new name!

This article decried the christening of the A-10 as the Thunderbolt II and said that Warthog was much more apt. I agree.

Finally, getting to the point, it talks of the F-16 Mustang II, That never stuck did it! It also talks of the FEFA (Eurofighter in a very early incarnation) being called the Spitfire! I love the Typhoon to bits but I don't think any other fighter could ever carry that name.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I got it the F-35 Phoenix because this plane rose from the ashes of the harrier to take its place what do you think does it sound good.

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Pretty good. I was looking at a picture of a Royal Navy JSF and imagined the caption "Lockheed-BAE Phoenix F/A 1, 800 Sqn, 2015" and it seemed very fitting.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   
hmmm,F-35 Flying Cow is a cool name

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I got it the F-35 Phoenix because this plane rose from the ashes of the harrier to take its place what do you think does it sound good.

It makes sense, but I don't think you could use it because of the Phoenix missle system.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I dont think that would be a problem is a missile used on the F-14, I only thought you can't use names already taken by other aircraft not by missiles

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I dont think that would be a problem is a missile used on the F-14, I only thought you can't use names already taken by other aircraft not by missiles

most want planes to be original and stand out.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Dang to bad Raven is taken. Some Navy fighter for electronic warfare has it. Hows about something along the lines of Grim Reaper.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Wild Turkey
Woodpecker
Road Runner

Now I know that the F-35 will be the last manned fighter... no more cool bird of prey names left!

PS: I do kinda like 'Wild Turkey'.

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Here are some lesser known Bird of Prey names that have not yet been mentioned - I am sure some have been used before for aircraft or engines (Rolls Royce - Merlin, Griffon etc that powered the Spitfire)

Merlin
Peregrine
Kite
Gyrfalcon
Black Baza
Griffon
Caracara
Falconet

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Popeye
Here are some lesser known Bird of Prey names that have not yet been mentioned - I am sure some have been used before for aircraft or engines (Rolls Royce - Merlin, Griffon etc that powered the Spitfire)

Merlin
Peregrine
Kite
Gyrfalcon
Black Baza
Griffon
Caracara
Falconet

merlin is a chopper in the RN. iv heard griffon before some where as well.

E_T

posted on Jul, 20 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
Woodpecker

At least not that, wing of JSF is optimized for subsonic fly/slower speeds.

And if you want to see "used" nicknames go there:
web.mit.edu...

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I like Ratler.

F-22 Raptor & F-35 Ratler.

That way you can call them "double R"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join