It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name the F-35

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
So the EF-2000 is the Typhoon and the F/A-22 is the Raptor (remember when it was going to be 'Lightning II'?)

What do people think is a fitting name for the F-35? Illustrious names from the past seem to be in vogue right now so I thought that with the RAF already having the Tornado and Typhoon might it be the Tempest? On reflection though there is no reason why the US should go along with that and it doesn't really seem to 'fit' the aircraft. Seeing as how the aircraft is going to serve with both UK and US forces and is the product of both nations what historical name would be suitable with links to us both?
Kestrel? Mustang? Can anyone think of an appropriate and fitting name? I mean theres never been another Spitfire but again I don't think the name fits the F-35.

A couple of random e.g's
F-35A Firefly or Firefly F/A 1
F-35A Scimitar or Scimitar F/A 1

Indeed is there a name already and I've missed it? Over to you.

[edit on 16-7-2004 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I believe the naval version is the F-35B. I would call it Prometheus.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
the bumble bee!
na seriosly i think it would suit it.
or the wasp.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Yes it is of course the F-35B. Oops. Wasp? Hmm

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The F-35 Shadow that name just fits but I think bird names fit jets better and I know the raptor is a dinosaur but its an exception. And the current name for it the JSF isnt kool enough.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
well for the carrier version id pick sea hawk .......oh wait thats something else he he,na the sea eagle would be nice.
but i love the wasp idea.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I go a name. It's like the Fighting Falcon. The Pecking Pigeon. Like it?

*Seriously*The lightning II wouldn't be to bad a name for the F-35.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   
How about resurecting the name Black Widow?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Not a bad idea for a contest. With a moniker like "JSF" it is just begging to have a nickname hung on it like the poor, old Thunderbolt II "the warthog" indeed!

At least it is a terrm of affection.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
How about resurecting the name Black Widow?

NO u cant have that!
thats reserved for the very best fighter ever made !! leave it!

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
The Wasp, a british helicopter:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
The F-35 Shadow that name just fits but I think bird names fit jets better and I know the raptor is a dinosaur but its an exception. And the current name for it the JSF isnt kool enough.

Although the name Raptor was made famous by a species of dinosaur appearing in the movie Jurassic Park, the term raptor also applies to birds of prey. The group of birds that are considered raptors includes eagles, kestrels, ospreys, hawks, falcons, vultures, owls, harriers, accipiters, buteos, and kites.

www.idahoptv.org...

It is this family of birds of prey for which the F-22 is named, as indicated by the logo for the F/A-22 Combined Test Force (CTF) stationed at Edwards Air Force Case.

www.usafpatches.com...

[edit on 16-7-2004 by aerospaceweb]

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
US fighters are typically named for birds, particularly birds of prey. There aren't too many bird names left, but I personally like the F-35 Raven.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I was just going to say something about raptor. The dinosaur name raptor is a shrotened version of velociraptor.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Yeah you cant use the black widow but the raptor deserves to be in the bird of prey family since it is a true killer and I think F-35 Shadow or Sea Shadow is a good name.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I too was thinking along the lines of Birds of prey in my original post and thats why I mentioned the Kestrel. Not only a bird of prey but also the first V/STOL fighter to be operated by US, British and German squadron pilots in the 1960's.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I think that the F-35 Raven would be very fitting for the JSF. Ravens, being black, are one of the stealthier birds. They are also one of the most intelligent, which is fitting with the advanced tech, and computers built into the JSF.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

birds of prey can be called raptos too. like a falcon is a raptor.

i say name it like some cool bug. wasp, yellow jacket...stuff like that

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Raven does have a nice ring to it but I'm not sure if names associated with aircraft that were in service so recently would ever be chosen?

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The F-35 Kickass.

or the F-35 Dodo due to the fact that its too heavy to fly.......

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join