It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT Engineers Design New Nanoparticle That Could Lead to Vaccines for HIV, Malaria, Other Diseases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
MIT Engineers Design New Nanoparticle That Could Lead to Vaccines for HIV, Malaria, Other Diseases

ScienceDaily (Feb. 22, 2011) — MIT engineers have designed a new type of nanoparticle that could safely and effectively deliver vaccines for diseases such as HIV and malaria.

The new particles, described in the Feb. 20 issue of Nature Materials, consist of concentric fatty spheres that can carry synthetic versions of proteins normally produced by viruses. These synthetic particles elicit a strong immune response -- comparable to that produced by live virus vaccines -- but should be much safer, says Darrell Irvine, corresponding author of the paper and an associate professor of materials science and engineering and biological engineering.

Such particles could help scientists develop vaccines against cancer as well as infectious diseases. In collaboration with scientists at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, Irvine and his students are now testing the nanoparticles' ability to deliver an experimental malaria vaccine in mice.

Vaccines protect the body by exposing it to an infectious agent that primes the immune system to respond quickly when it encounters the pathogen again. In many cases, such as with the polio and smallpox vaccines, a dead or disabled form of the virus is used. Other vaccines, such as the diphtheria vaccine, consist of a synthetic version of a protein or other molecule normally made by the pathogen.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
This sounds all well and good, but what happens when the particles go rouge and start attacking other cells?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Seems to be a busy day with scientific and medical advances. This comes on the heals of the skin gun, which is able to repair 2nd degree burns within 4 days using adult tem cells.

There was another article that talked about a new blood procedure in germany. The experimental technique had the unusual side effect of removing the HI from the patients system.

And now this article..

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I'll take my chances on Mother Nature anyday, thank you.

This is one thing that is worse than GMO engineered foods, and animals.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

I have a feeling if you had HIV you wouldn't believe these vaccines are worse than mother nature.

Some people DO have natural protection against HIV though; about 14-18% of Europeans are believed to have a gene that makes them extremely resistant to the disease.

I've often wondered if that percentage is actually higher, and maybe partially accounts for the higher incidence of HIV amongst people of African descent when compared with caucasians.

qjmed.oxfordjournals.org...

You never really hear this study mentioned anymore though...

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Infrasilent

it seems you are unaware that vaccines are often used to spread diseases
not into sports so i'm not sure if it was magic Johnson or or somebody else who had HIV that "mysteriously dissapeared[ no real mystery it was blood electrification]
as for malaria MMS can cure that just fine

new topics

top topics

join