It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's smallest computer watches you — from within

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

World's smallest computer watches you — from within

www.msnbc.msn.com

Researchers recently unveiled the first complete millimeter-scale computing system that is about the size of the letter "N" on the back of a penny (or about the same size as the letter in this sentence).

This tiniest computer to date is a prototype of an implantable eye pressure monitor for glaucoma patients. Key to this unit linking up with other computers to form wireless sensor networks is a compact radio that needs no tuning to find the right frequency.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I think this is pretty cool, we are traversing the man to machine interface. Our electronics are becoming smaller, faster.

This unit, has a radio, solar cell, computer, and memory. Take a look at the picture. Imagine these implanted across your body monitoring your entire system. You plug yourself into a USB drive onto a computer and can see what is going on in your body.

Medical telemetry for the future.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 22-2-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
thanks for bringing us this story , but i find it frighting to say the least .

link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I have to call reverse engineering. That is unbelievably small!!!! Very impressive to say the least! S+F

link   

Well I for one shall not be having it.
I would like to stay as a human not a cyborg thank you

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by squizzy

I dunno.....It might be really fun being the 6 million dollar man! Or in this day and age 6 trillion dollar man!

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
If you guys are interested in stuff like this you need to watch this one hour lecture:

www.hulu.com...

Reverse engineerd from what lol? Have you seen an Iphone? Do you know the amount of technology in it.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Come on....If you have to ask about reverse engineering .....your joking right?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

No I'm not, these are people who invented the transistor in the 40s and made it smaller and smaller and smaller.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

Yeah right
and when the pound or dollar crashes it is not much of a bragging point to say * I am the two bit woman .

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
With that device installed inside you, the old you gets replaced as the old you is now a virus to the OS lol
You will listen and obey "Yes Mater" "Obama"

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
But whats really cool is imagine this:

You make a small little camera same size and put it on a fly. You hardwire the muscles of the fly to the chip so you can fly it remotely, because this does have radio remember. Imagine the spying possibilities.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Through better knowledge and through better new materials.
Scientists mess about all day trying to find things. Sometimes they stumble accross things accidently...look at all the alchemists of the past...they never found how to turn lead into gold but they discovered many many other things, like acids, dyes etc.

When they say reverse engineered they are referring to the military. GPS and the internet are just 2 things back engineered for civilian use.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Imagine the spying possibilities.

We have. That's why some of us are against it. Perhaps you should imagine a bit more the possibilities of abuse from tyrannical governments worldwide with this technology.

That is what it is really for, my friend.

"One day, these Lilliputian computers could track pollution, monitor structural integrity..." BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. No. It's to chip everyone and track them. Period.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

We already have fly sized cameras that are remotely operated. This is old technology now, was used in Iraq in 2004

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Undeniably, this technology is incredible, however I'm not comfortable with tranhumanism. In a sense it would be really cool to amp up the senses, reflexes, etc of the body/brain, but at what cost? Would having these "upgrades" make us superhuman, or subhuman? Maybe the definition of what human is is malleable, but my intuition(I know, it sounds flaky) has me feeling uneasy about this subject.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I am not a fan.
Technology is increasingly funded by government(s), and technology like this is prime for abuse by government.
In fact, I am not a fan of technology anymore. We have cures for cancer, but we have an infrastructure that depends on TREATMENT. Technology did not cure cancer.
We have money that could be used for improving the lives of human beings used for ever faster and ever more destructive weapons of war. Technology did not make the world peaceful.
We have GMO crops and Monsanto destroying the Earth. Technology, again.
Humans are on a collision course with technology, and both will lose, because technology has no soul and no humanity.
The internet is useful technology. But, ironically, it is government that would restrict the internet.

edit on 22-2-2011 by Stewie because: clarification

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Verita

But imagine your eyes being able to do things such as pause, rewind, enlarge, night vision, lock on track, infrared etc...I am sure the military would like to improve snipers vision for sure.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

S & F.

Very cool. As machines get smarter, humans incorporate more devices. We are moving towards singularity: Ghost In The Shell type integration of mankind and machine.

We might actually achieve immortality.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It probably won't be long until we can live forever (in one form or another).

It looks like they used Kapton to make a 2 layer PCB, used end contacts for vias and etched the antenna and some inductors right onto the copper. The processor looks smaller than an 0201 package. I wonder who soldered this together?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join